šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XXIV (Dec 30 - Jan 27)

Wishing a warm welcome to all of the forum book-lovers!

:books: :blush: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last monthā€™s reading session! For those who havenā€™t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXIII- Readerā€™s Reviews discussion.

As of today, the 24th book club reading session has now begun !

Spells8 Book Club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! :books:

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As youā€™re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

Picture from Pixabay

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! For books with multiple readers, a separate discussion just for you will open for you to swap thoughts and share insights.

Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene for the final discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

If you are reading a book along with someone else, please make a note in the comments so I can create a special discussion thread for you!

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

Picture from Pixabay

If you have any questions about Book Club, please feel free to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

8 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:

• Book Title by Author
    (@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• The Essential Guide to Womenā€™s Herbal Medicine by Cyndi Gilbert, ND
    @BryWisteria

• Irish Witchcraft by Lora Oā€™Brien
    @MeganB

• The Spell Book for New Witches by Ambrosia Hawthorne
    @Dierna_Nimue_Selene

• By Rust of Nail & Prick of Thorn by Althaea Sebastiani
    @Wysteria_Norn

• The Complete Grimoire by Lidia Pradas
    @brandy20

• The Little Book of Cat Magic by Deborah Blake
    @jill8
    Entering Hecateā€™s Caveby Cyndi Brannen
    Jeannie

• Brighid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddess by Courtney Weber
    @Melora_Fae

6 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

ā†’ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If youā€™ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

3 Likes

I went to my local library last week and picked up two books that Iā€™d like to review. I meanā€¦I have books to review already and more books to read but these looked interesting and simple enough!

3 Likes

I have added the book I found. I know others have it but figured it may be a good find for others to read as well

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXIV - Readersā€™ Reviews!

@MeganB Hahaha so many books, never enough time! :laughing: I hope the new books you got are both awesome reads for you :blush:

@Dierna_Nimue_Selene Awesome! I hope you enjoy The Spell Book for New Witches- may it be a great read for you! :raised_hands: :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m making my way through The Essential Guide to Womenā€™s Herbal Medicine- I have to be upfront, I got this at Ollieā€™s (which I guess is the new Building 19?) for a few bucks and didnā€™t have high hopes for it.

Itā€™s pretty good! Better than expected, at least. Itā€™s broken into two main sections- common ailments women experience and then herbs that are recommended specifically for women.

The author is an herbalist and botanical professor at a college in Canada and seems to have a lot of experience under her belt. I really like the ā€œstudyā€ notes where she explains a patient who came to her, the symptoms they were experiencing, and what herbs ended up helping them (along with other treatments too).

Itā€™s not just straight information like a textbook, either- there are all kinds of ā€œDid You Know?ā€, fun facts, gardening tips, safety notes, and more. A pretty loaded book!

Plus there are some herbs in here that Iā€™d never known were used for womenā€™s health- Iā€™m adding a whole handful of herbs to my to-study radar :satellite: :grinning:

Itā€™s not a huge book and it doesnā€™t cover everything, but itā€™s a great jumping into point for anyone who wants an herbal studies book focused on womenā€™s health, written by a female herbalist who specializes in this type of herbal medicine.

Iā€™m still working my way through it- but so far, so good! :open_book: :+1: :herb:

5 Likes

@BryWisteria : ohhh now I want that book!!!

Iā€™ve read some of the spells in mine and I love a lot of them. I donā€™t have a lot of what is needed but Iā€™m working on increasing my witchy stash of stuff this year

3 Likes

So, Iā€™ve actually abandonded the two books I had in favor of this one ā†’ Irish Witchcraft by Lora Oā€™Brien!

This one is more up my alley for my practice and it isnā€™t a re-hashing of basic information that I already know. So far Iā€™m enjoying it!

6 Likes

Hooray! Itā€™s always great when you can add new spells to your collection :blush: And how exciting to be building up your witchy stash too! I hope youā€™re able to find everything you need and that your treasure trove grows wonderfully this year :pray::heart:

It sounds like a book that is right up your alley, Megan- Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying it so far! Pretty cover too :star_struck: May it continue to be a great read for you! :open_book: :sparkles:

4 Likes

Friendly reminder time!

:grey_exclamation: The current reading period will end in one week (Friday, Jan 27) :grey_exclamation:

A Readerā€™s Review post will appear in the forums at that time for everyone to share their thoughts and hear all about what your fellow coven members have been reading.

I hope everyone is enjoying their reading so far! Iā€™m looking forward to reading everyoneā€™s thoughts and learning about new books :open_book: :sparkles:

Happy reading and blessed be! :books::sparkles:

3 Likes

ā€¦I better read faster :joy:

4 Likes

Same! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™m late to the party and this is my first book club here, but I was finally able to borrow ā€˜Brighid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddessā€™ by Courtney Weber from Libby. I just started reading it on my Kindle! :bookmark:

I might not be able to finish it in time but I hope to share some neat quotes and things as I read.

3 Likes

Ohh thatā€™s one of my favorites! Iā€™ve got it on my bookshelf :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Youā€™re going to love it!

3 Likes

@MeganB Iā€™m barely into it and love it already! I hope to get a few books about Brighid in hard copy soon. Especially this one.

3 Likes

I tried reading in bed at nightā€¦ bad idea. I barely get a page in and then fall asleep, lol! So today I am reading as I knit.

I love how the first chapter of the book (which was quite thorough!) talks about the history and cultural connections of Brighid. She also shares her story about her journey toward her, which was beautiful.

This was a breath of fresh air:

I can by hyper logical to the point that I burn out. I wish more books had this kind of reminder in them, lol!

5 Likes

Hahaha I do this all the time! Sometimes I wait all day, excited to read another chapter only to get to bad and almost immediately go unconscious :joy: I feel your pain, @Melora_Fae! Reading while knitting sounds like a good plan :yarn: :+1:

And ohhhhā€¦ thatā€™s a really beautiful quote :heart:

3 Likes

So Iā€™m a few chapters into my book so far, I love the intro visualization she includes, as well as ways to connect to Brighid if you have to do it from home rather than the wild. Iā€™m getting to a section with some spells now, and she reminds the reader to adjust as needed - which is also nice, because some books say that you need fancy ingredients like a dozen roses etc with zero suggestions for substitutes.

I especially love the history and the tidbits of lore and stories throughout!

3 Likes