Wicca in College - Candle Replacements

Hi Everyone,

I’m currently in college and am starting to practice and learn about Wicca. However, I can’t use candles due to my college’s rules along with it being a fire hazard. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace candles with?

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes! First of all, congrats on embarking on learning about Wicca and putting your study into practice!

We had a topic about Sage and Candles in Apartments. This was my reply there:

Today, more and more churches and temples are introducing features like electric candles, complete with flickering flames. Electric votive candles have long been in use in military chaplaincies.

You can find them on Amazon :candle:

Remember that the Magic is not in the ingredients or the tools but in the Witch! :woman_mage: Every ingredient has a substitute as long as your intentions are clear and in line with your will.

12 Likes

Hello @paintmeagalaxy! :blush:

Francisco shared some great advice- electric or battery-powered candles are a great option!

When I was in university I had a similar issue. Here are a few ideas for you:

:cloud: With a bit of creativity, you can use the steam from a hot cup of tea or bath for spell or ritual work that requires smoke.

:wind_face: You may be able to have a lit candle or light incense as long as you keep it in an open window with good ventilation and practice candle safety.

:fire: Digital fire is relaxing and free- there are many videos on YouTube that make for a great background when practicing spellwork. Here’s a favorite of mine:

:tea: If you decide candles aren’t an option- no worries! There are so many other kinds of magic- consider tea meditations, divination, moon magic, or others. There are many spells and rituals that don’t require candles!

Good luck, have fun, and blessed be! :sparkles:

9 Likes

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Essential oil diffusers. Not a flame, but you can get your herbal jam on with a diffuser.

6 Likes

I have one of those! Right now I only have lavender oil, but I plan on getting more soon. Thank you!

5 Likes

I use the diffuser with essential oils almost every day instead of the incense. I will use incense if I am going to be in the room the whole time that it is burning. The diffuser is a great idea though. Mine goes for 24 hours so I love it.

6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

You’re very welcome, have a great day! Good luck with your studies!

3 Likes

Mine too…in every room of my house.

4 Likes

I have mine in my bedroom. I use wax melts in the rest of the house. Those are really good too. I wouldn’t think of getting rid of the diffuser though. I can switch it up or mix & match. I do most of my spell work and such in my room, so it’s the perfect place for it.

3 Likes

Find local Wiccans and hang out with them. There’s no real substitute for the real thing.
When the weather warms, go outside and use Tiki Torches and a Bonfire.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t do that at the moment, especially since I don’t know any other Wiccans where I’m at, but thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

Well … maybe we can help you find some Wiccans. We are everywhere. What state and town do you live in?

1 Like

I’m not comfortable sharing what town I live in at the moment, but I’m in Iowa at the moment for college! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Covid limits finding a bunch of random people. Francisco’s idea about electric candles is great for apartments and dorm rooms. Brianna’s digital fireplace/candle idea is awesome, too.

Remember, the item itself is inconsequential. While there is magic in everything, what you are tapping into is within you. Anything you use, with intentions and rituals you decide on, will work for your needs.

6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I agree with the advice. Yes definitely with Covid, not a very good time to socialize at the moment.

I love digital fireplaces, especially with the crackling, pop-pop…

5 Likes

Well then type your town and state wicca and coven into the Google search and see if anything comes up. Good luck.

2 Likes