Brigids Cross, 1st Attempt

I decided to go out into my yard, take a short walk up the street and listen to the wind. I remembered that we have beach grass growing in our backyard. I decided to get crafty and I made a small Brigids Cross. Its my first attempt, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty easy. I’m going to hang it over my window in my space to ward off disease and to protect my space until I can make some more for the doorways of my home.

25 Likes

Amazing!! :clap: :clap: I like the matching background too!

I’m sure they would look great hanging!

7 Likes

@Francisco it is sitting on the cover to my BOS journal. I had just finished writing in it before I posted the picture. it has the Tree of Life in the leather. It’s such a great find from Etsy. The shop was Lohman Trading I believe. They have some really nice items.

I hung it up on the window behind my bed. It looks good with the suncatcher it’s with.

6 Likes

Very nice @Susurrus! I tried to make one out of pipe cleaners this year and just about poked an eye out. :rofl:

7 Likes

It took a few attempts to not get whipped in the face with the beach grass, but I figured it out. Lol

8 Likes

That must have been Brigid testing your skills! :laughing:

But seriously, nothing says “gratitude” more than offering a handmade craft to your deities!

7 Likes

You must be much more craftier than I am @Susurrus. I’m all thumbs when it comes to that sort of thing.

8 Likes

Brigid is one of the best home deities in Celtic lore. What I love most is that she is sometimes associated with with Calleach, a crone, who rules winter, while Brigid rules spring onward. I am a crone so I resonate with Calleach, but I honor Brigid as a home deity. You do remember I am a new witch. I am practicing my knowledge. Always take what I say with a grain of salt. I try, but I may be wrong. Feedback is required for my growth. I love that you used materials on hand to make such a symbol. Thank you for sharing!

8 Likes

I agree with @wendy4- practice is important to make perfect, and I also really love that you chose to use sea grass, @Susurrus! I think the cross came out beautifully, especially for a first attempt! :clap::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ohhh no @Amethyst!!! :joy: I’m glad your eyes survived the pipe cleaner cross- maybe try again with less pokey materials? Maybe some grass or pieces of paper! :grin::+1:

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl:sounds like me with those wretched things

7 Likes

@Susurrus I like how it turned out. I have one but it was already made.

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, I’d probably get a paper cut or something. Seriously not crafty here. Which is sad because my Mom was good at that sort of thing. I think I got my Dad’s fumble fingers.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone. I love that Brigid is a deity that I can relate to on different levels. I am now a homemaker and can no longer be in the workforce. I turned to crafting as a therapy for being home so much and I would run out of things to do once the kids were at school or work. I started when I was really young but a friend of mine used to have crafternoons with me and then once I got a Cricut I was making all the things.

The beach grass was the closest things to reeds that we have around here. We happen to have patches of it in our backyard that is on the property line. I just clipped some of them and left the rest to thrive in the sun.

Brigid is considered a triple goddess too and the cross is asking her to come protect your home from disease and fires. She keeps the home safe. The doll invites her to watch her babies in their cradles, if I remember right. I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted what the story was saying. Now, I will read it again just to be sure.

10 Likes

@christina4 pipe cleaners are dangerous. LOL.

6 Likes

Have you tried making the doll? I found this tutorial on Pinterest

straw-doll-10

It was called Brídeóg and was traditional around Imbolc.

The girls would carry it in procession while singing a hymn to Brigid. All wore white with their hair unbound as a symbol of purity and youth. They visited every house in the area, where they received either food or more decoration for the Brídeóg.

Afterwards, they feasted in a house with the Brídeóg set in a place of honour, and put it to bed with lullabies. In the late 17th century, Catholic families in the Hebrides would make a bed for the Brídeóg out of a basket. - Source

15 Likes

I have not tried to make it, but I do want to make it! I was going to head down to our craft store and see if I could find somethings to make it out of with the flowers and maybe see if they have some false reeds. I had read the story and I can’t remember if they burn the doll or the cross to make a new one during Imbolc each year. I will have to look it up again. I will post a picture of my attempt at the doll! I have baskets galore at my house! Thank you!

8 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: very nice!!!

8 Likes

How pretty @Francisco! That looks great!

7 Likes

Krissie,
It’s so creative especially with the Beach Grass! You are getting closer to the Brig huh :thinking:

Jeannie

10 Likes

Well done. I find it difficult to find suitable plant reeds for them. I still always strive to use them on Imbolc as well as a Corn Dolly to Brigid.

10 Likes