Divination 🔮 A Fork in the Road

Way to go to everyone that participated in the last Divination Discussion where we shared our methods of cleansing our tools.

YAY! Thank you all for participating!

We all know and see every day that the practices of one person are not the same as another. By sharing our methods with each other, we celebrate our differences in paths and learn something new!

@Saulamay charges their new divination tools :flower_playing_cards: using smoke and ritual, then sleeps with them under their pillow :sleeping_bed:

@BryWisteria uses many forms of divination :tea: but when she cleanses, she uses moonlight :crescent_moon: crystals :gem: and spoken blessings :speaking_head:

@Susurrus also puts her decks under her pillow :sleeping_bed: at night and then gives them their own home in a drawer :file_cabinet: – and if they act up, she uses smoke :dash: and spoken word, too

I believe cleansing our tools is an important part of reading or practicing any form of divination. When we feel that our decks, or other tools, are becoming either stagnant or sticky :microbe: with extra energy, they might not work right. Popular methods of cleansing new tools include using the smoke of sacred herbs :herb: the light of the moon :full_moon: and knocking on top of the deck or making noise :fist:. However you cleanse your tools and keep their energy in line with your intention, thank you for joining in the discussion!

Great job everyone!

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

Ready for the new discussion?

This week, we are going to be answer or reading for another hypothetical person. We’ll call her Emma. Emma comes to you after graduating from high school, unsure of her career path. She has two ideas in mind but doesn’t know which direction to go. Needing guidance, she comes to you and asks you…

I have two paths to take. Both paths scare me and I’m not sure what to do. Do I immediately go to college, get my general classes done, and pick a major later? Or do I take a year off of school to focus on myself and figure out what I want?

Emma is presented with a metaphorical fork in the road. Which direction should she go?

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

What to do?

:bookmark: Grab your favorite method of divination and read for Emma.

:bookmark: Share your reading with us in the comments! Include any interpretations you used, symbols you see, and feelings you get.

:bookmark: Give feedback on the readings posted by your coven mates.

:bookmark_tabs: Remember, just because this is a hypothetical situation doesn’t mean there is a right or wrong answer. This is about practicing your skills and interpretations.

Don’t have a divination tool or experience to share?

:gem: Imagine you were in Emma’s shoes. What would you want out of the reading? How would you want the reader to act and answer your question?
:gem: Use the tarot spread provided below if you don’t have a method to read for yourself!

Pre-Drawn Tarot Spread

This spread is the Spread for Two Choices linked below.

Card One: What grounds you?
The Devil

Card Two: Your key motivation?
Three of Pentacles

Card Three: Your ideal outcome?
King of Swords

Card Four: What you need to know about option one?
Four of Swords

Card Five: Likely outcome of option one?
Eight of Swords Reversed

Card Six: What you need to know about option two?
The World

Card Seven: Likely outcome of option two?
Queen of Swords

Need a Tarot Spread?

I have gathered a few different spreads here for you to use as inspiration in answering Emma’s question. Feel free to use one of these or come up with your own! If you don’t know how to make your own tarot spread, you might find my video helpful.

A Spread for Two Choices – Incandescent Tarot

This tarot spread is perfect for the moments when you’re debating between two possibilities. Lay out all your cards and flip over the first three. These represent your inner state and what’s most important to you. They form the foundation of the reading and will give you the baseline to measure your two options against.

Back to School with Tarot – Inner Goddess Tarot

Are you feeling the urge to try something new? To more fully develop your talents? To pick up something that you left behind years ago? This spread can help you to explore options and directions that will re-ignite your creativity and passion for learning.

Finding Your Path and Calling – Labrynthos

These spreads were meant to take a closer look into your work self, and can be used whether you’re happy where you are, and just trying to understand where your current job is going, or whether you’re looking around for other options. In particular, we’re focusing on 3 situations, and we hope you’ll find these useful.

Back to School Bag – Occult Duality via Pagan and Witch Amino

An amazing friend of mine showed me this great tarot spread for back to school! I will be back at college in a couple weeks, and some people already are, so why not give it a try? Here it is!

New to Divination Discussion?

How does it work?

• Every two weeks, starting on Thursday, I’ll be posting a new hypothetical divination question.
    For anyone that doesn’t have a divination method or wants to make it a little more challenging, I’ll have another option available for you.

• During the week, use whichever method you feel comfortable with to answer the question. Draw as many cards, throw as many bones, or pull as many runes as you need. Any spread you think will work is okay to use that goes with the challenge.

• Write about it here in the comments and share any pictures you may have taken!

• Discuss your interpretation and the interpretations of others and help out where you can.

• Ask questions! If you’re not sure how to interpret something, please ask. Many of us have personal experience or other sources that we can share.

What’s the purpose?

When we are learning a new method of divination or just practicing, it can be hard to get good practice without actually doing anything. Practicing this way with a hypothetical situation gives you an idea of questions that might be asked and it gives you practice in how to respond if you’re reading for someone else.

Guidelines

Anyone can participate – from new beginners to seasoned readers alike – to benefit from this discussion. To make sure we’re all on the same page, I’ve got some guidelines for everyone to follow to make this a place of safe and constructive discussion.

1. Any divination method is okay - use what you’re okay with.

2. This challenge will run from Thursday of one week to the end of day Wednesday the following week.

3. If you do not want feedback on your interpretation or reading style, please say so. The purpose of this challenge is to learn and discuss with everyone else.

4. Please use trigger warnings if your interpretation involves any mention of the following.

Trigger Warning Words (click me)
  • rape
  • abuse
  • violence
  • self-harm
  • other sensitive materials

To hide words, phrases, or content in your writing, highlight it, click the gear button up top in the formatting, and select either Hide Details or Blur Spoiler

Be sure to get your interpretations in before Wednesday, March 4th!

Remember, there aren’t necessarily wrong answers. Divination is often very personal and that’s why interpretations are fun and good practice!

Need more information on different divination methods? Check out these sources.

:crystal_ball: Cromniomancy, Capnomancy & Other Little-Known Divination Methods
:crystal_ball: How to Use Dice for Divination
:crystal_ball: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Fortelling the Future
:crystal_ball: Tasseography: Tea Leaf Divination
:crystal_ball: Fortune Telling with Regular Cards
:crystal_ball: Whole Tarot Video Course
:crystal_ball: Talk Tarot with Me at Round the Cauldron

6 Likes

Thank you. I will be a bystander for this one. I’m not good or comfortable reading for someone else yet. Even if it is hypothetical. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ohhhhh a very good question! :star_struck: I am super duper bias about this (I have had amazing experiences taking gap periods in my school and work career and I highly recommend doing so to anyone who is considering the option)

I’m going to have to set my personal bias aside and let the cards guide Emma’s way. I’ll trust that the deck knows more about the situation than I do (and perhaps more than Emma realizes as well!)

Looking forward to drawing for this- thanks for the fun challenge, @MeganB! :raised_hands: :heart:

5 Likes

No worries @Susurrus :flower_playing_cards: If you still want to participate, you can think about the questions I posed above.

:gem: Imagine you were in Emma’s shoes. What would you want out of the reading? How would you want the reader to act and answer your question?

Or you could even pick one of the cards in the tarot spread provided (any of them work) and figure out how you would interpret that card in that question for yourself. Some cards are tricky to interpret, like getting The Moon or The Devil in a positive card position. No worries if you don’t want to, though!

@BryWisteria I’m surprisingly not biased, but then again, I went to school to be a nurse, dropped out and moved halfway across the country, came back and didn’t go back to school for something entirely different until my daughter was 3 – and now I’m not even using my degree :sweat_smile:

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

5 Likes

Oh that’s a great idea! I can do it as I would for myself! Thank you! I will do that in a little bit! :heart:

6 Likes

oooo this is interesting…immediately my mind made a leap from it being an unknown Emma to my daughter~is it too much if I envision that scenario?

4 Likes

Also I’d start with the two card spread and see what I glean and then move into another (yet to be determined)

4 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab Not too much at all! If that’s how you feel drawn to participate, that’s perfectly okay with me!

5 Likes

I might try scrying as well actually I’m feeling it

4 Likes

I took @MeganB suggestion and pulled one card for Emma about her 2 paths.

I pulled Judgement for Emma.

Now is the time for her to reflect on her choices so she can be ready for what’s coming next.

The option to focus on herself and figure out what she wants first is where the cards are telling her she needs to go.

3 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab – Did you try scrying yet? I’d love to know how it went!

@Susurrus – That sounds perfect! I really like your interpretation of Judgement. Great job!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! That was a lot of fun to do!

2 Likes

Just a reminder!

Today is the last day to get your reading in for this discussion! A new discussion will begin tomorrow :crystal_ball:

6 Likes

I went ahead and used the pre-made spread because, well, I drew the cards :sweat_smile:

Card One: What grounds you?
The Devil

:smiling_imp: This is an interesting card to get as something that grounds her. She is stuck in a self-destructive cycle. Her grounding activities aren’t good for her and she needs to break out of those habits in order for her decisions to be in her highest good. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if she has a Tower moment if she doesn’t break these habits first.

Card Two: Your key motivation?
Three of Pentacles

:star2: Not surprising here, her key motivation is a desire for higher education and collaboration. She wants to learn but isn’t sure how to get there.

Card Three: Your ideal outcome?
King of Swords

:crown: Again, not surprised. The King of Swords represents her desire for truth and mental clarity.

Card Four: What you need to know about option one?
Four of Swords

:crossed_swords: Option one here is taking the classes. The Four of Swords wants her to think about the concepts of rest, relaxation, and recuperation. Does she need these in her life right now? And if so, will she be able to maintain a healthy work/life/school balance if she chooses option one?

Card Five: Likely outcome of option one?
Eight of Swords Reversed

:crossed_swords: More swords here for option one. The Eight of Swords Reversed tells her that if she ends up taking these classes and not giving herself a break, she will feel trapped and lost. yikes

Card Six: What you need to know about option two?
The World

:earth_africa: As for option two, taking a break, she gets The World. A good card for this option, I think, because she wants to learn, and what better way to do that than explore the world around her? I think The World in this instance literally means travel. Option two holds that in store for her if she chooses it.

Card Seven: Likely outcome of option two?
Queen of Swords

:crossed_swords: More swords! The Queen of Swords is a badass of the tarot deck. She knows what she wants, how to communicate her desires and boundaries, and is independent enough to tackle it all. If she takes takes a break from classes, I think she will figure out who she is, what she wants, and learn to set those boundaries for herself.

Overall? My advice to her would be to take a break. Even card four that asked what she needed to know about option one was like, are you suurreeee you don’t wanna rest and relax? That seems like the best course of action for her.

3 Likes

Megan,
This is going to be a good one thanks :blush:
Blessed be!

4 Likes

Whew- I think I made it! Gosh it’s been one whirlwind of a week :sweat_smile: In order to keep my bias about the question in check, I decided to do a simple two-card reading for Emma.

CARD 1 : Going to College Immediately
~ Eight of Swords ~

The eight of swords is a card of self-imprisonment and feeling powerless. It seems my deck agrees with my own bias :laughing: If Emma jumps immediately into college (and all the responsibilities and debt involved) she may not fail, but she will be putting herself in a difficult and stressful situation- essentially imprisoning herself to her own choice.

CARD 2 : Take a Year Off
~ Knight of Swords ~

The knight of swords is a card of action, determination, but also cautionary haste. It will take a large amount of determination for Emma to break off from the traditional path of going to university. But sometimes the easier choice isn’t the right one- she will be able to explore herself and take flight during this break. However, this isn’t an excuse to play around or laze about- she should proceed mindfully, searching for her own goals so as not to waste this great chance.

This was a great activity- it really showed me that I need to reel in my bias at times. But it also reinforced that I should trust in the cards- they have a habit of aligning with my own beliefs (or at least they did in this case)!

Thanks for the great challenge @MeganB! :blush:

4 Likes

You made it :hugs:

Your reading basically mirrors my own lol funny how that works!A lot of sword :crossed_swords: energy in this reading, too. Just shows that Emma is all in her head and needs to make the decision herself.

3 Likes

Yes I did and I’ve got it written all down~I can put it in the other link :raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

I guess both our decks picked up on the fact that Emma is really walking on the edge :crossed_swords: :laughing:

Thanks again for the fun challenge, Megan! Looking forward to the next one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 34 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.