Divination Discussion 🎱 Let's Catch Up!

Way to go to everyone that participated in the last Divination Discussion where our fictitious person, Emma, had an important decision to make and needed your help!

YAY! Thank you all for participating!

We all know and see every day that the practices of one person are not the same as another. By sharing our methods with each other, we celebrate our differences in paths and learn something new!

@Susurrus took a leap into reading for others :partying_face: and pulled two cards for our querent! (proud of you!)

@MeganB used the pre-made spread of cards and found a lot of sword :crossed_swords: energy for our querent!

@BryWisteria pulled two lovely cards :flower_playing_cards: for our querent and also got a lot of sword energy!

@BryWisteria brought up a very good point for this particular reading.

This was a great activity- it really showed me that I need to reel in my bias at times. But it also reinforced that I should trust in the cards- they have a habit of aligning with my own beliefs (or at least they did in this case)!

Sometimes we can be too close to the topic at hand and have to try extra hard to have our bias in check. Sometimes querents (the person asking the question) will have a difficult question or decision to make and they’ll come to you for help. If you can’t put your bias away and put on your Hat of Objectivity :tophat: your reading may not be accurate or helpful!

Great job everyone!

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

Ready for the new discussion?

This week, I want to play catch-up! Even as the person who runs these divination discussions, I don’t always get a chance to respond or do the readings that I have created :crying_cat_face: I know that some people who are also participating in these discussions have grown and developed in their path over time and may want to revisit certain topics or questions.

This week, I am opening up the discussion for each topic that we’ve had before! I will list them all here so you don’t have to go hunting for them, so don’t worry, but go through and choose one or two that you missed or that you want to revisit.

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

What to do?

:flower_playing_cards: Choose a discussion topic or two that you missed.

:flower_playing_cards: Post your answers in this discussion because the other discussions will stay locked. This will help us all keep track of our discussions and answers.

:flower_playing_cards: Please make sure you note which topic you’re responding to!

:flower_playing_cards: If you don’t want feedback on your reading, please say so! Otherwise, others may give you feedback on your interpretations or answers.

Don’t have a divination tool to use?

There are many free tools online that can draw tarot cards for you, ogham staves, and even runes! You can also grab your favorite book and do some Bibliomancy.

:flower_playing_cards: Random Tarot Card Generator
:evergreen_tree: Choose an Ogham
:peace_symbol: Random Rune Generator
:books: What is Bibliomancy?

Pick a Discussion!

These are listed in reverse chronological order with the most recent discussion being at the top. I have also included a little snippet to help you remember what that discussion was about.

:fork_and_knife: A Fork in the Road

This week, we are going to be answer or reading for another hypothetical person. We’ll call her Emma. Emma comes to you after graduating from high school, unsure of her career path.

:candle: New Tools

So, what do you do when you get a new divination tool? Do you have a ritual of sorts? Do you cleanse it? Do you sleep with it under your pillow or carry it with you wherever you go? Let’s talk about it!

:heart: Muddy Waters

This week, we’re going to do a reading for a woman who can’t quite make up her mind about some decisions she needs to make. She has three choices, none of them known to you, and she wants your help putting things into perspective.

:crystal_ball: See the Symbols

This week, I want to tap into the symbology of whatever divination method you prefer. No matter what divination method you use, there is symbology in the meanings , shapes, and colors.

:christmas_tree: Let’s Get Cheerful!

This week, I want you to look around at the holiday decorations – wreaths, trees, lights – and get inspired to come up with your own spread or reading using whatever divination method you prefer.

:sparkler: Mr. Novus has a Question

A man approaches you for a reading. He is well-dressed, well-kept, and appears middle-aged. He sits with you and you ask what he wants to know.

Many Methods :cloud:

This week, I want you to do a bit of research and find an unconventional divination method to tell us about. You don’t need to write an essay but you can if you want!

Love Life Lisa :heart:

She comes to you with a reading request about her relationships and future. She wants to know if the person she is currently with is her soulmate, but she’s also worried about her future love life.

Ready for November :maple_leaf:

This is one of my favorite tarot spreads to read because it’s simple yet quite effective. Getting insight into a new month can help us see what we need to focus on, what might be influencing us from our past, and what might get in our way of achieving our goals.

Focus on You :person_in_lotus_position:

This week, we’re doing something a bit different. Instead of focusing on someone else, we’re going to focus on ourselves! Grab your favorite divination method and get ready!

First Ever Divination Discussion!

A woman comes to you for a general reading. She is having some hesitations about her career and wants to get some more insight into how her past is affecting her current situation.

New to Divination Discussion?

How does it work?

• Every two weeks, starting on Thursday, I’ll be posting a new hypothetical divination question.
    For anyone that doesn’t have a divination method or wants to make it a little more challenging, I’ll have another option available for you.

• During the week, use whichever method you feel comfortable with to answer the question. Draw as many cards, throw as many bones, or pull as many runes as you need. Any spread you think will work is okay to use that goes with the challenge.

• Write about it here in the comments and share any pictures you may have taken!

• Discuss your interpretation and the interpretations of others and help out where you can.

• Ask questions! If you’re not sure how to interpret something, please ask. Many of us have personal experience or other sources that we can share.

What’s the purpose?

When we are learning a new method of divination or just practicing, it can be hard to get good practice without actually doing anything. Practicing this way with a hypothetical situation gives you an idea of questions that might be asked and it gives you practice in how to respond if you’re reading for someone else.

Guidelines

Anyone can participate – from new beginners to seasoned readers alike – to benefit from this discussion. To make sure we’re all on the same page, I’ve got some guidelines for everyone to follow to make this a place of safe and constructive discussion.

1. Any divination method is okay - use what you’re okay with.

2. This challenge will run from Thursday of one week to the end of day Wednesday the following week.

3. If you do not want feedback on your interpretation or reading style, please say so. The purpose of this challenge is to learn and discuss with everyone else.

4. Please use trigger warnings if your interpretation involves any mention of the following.

Trigger Warning Words (click me)
  • rape
  • abuse
  • violence
  • self-harm
  • other sensitive materials

To hide words, phrases, or content in your writing, highlight it, click the gear button up top in the formatting, and select either Hide Details or Blur Spoiler

Be sure to get your interpretations in before Wednesday, March 17th!

Remember, there aren’t necessarily wrong answers. Divination is often very personal and that’s why interpretations are fun and good practice!

Need more information on different divination methods? Check out these sources.

:crystal_ball: Cromniomancy, Capnomancy & Other Little-Known Divination Methods
:crystal_ball: How to Use Dice for Divination
:crystal_ball: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Fortelling the Future
:crystal_ball: Tasseography: Tea Leaf Divination
:crystal_ball: Fortune Telling with Regular Cards
:crystal_ball: Whole Tarot Video Course
:crystal_ball: Talk Tarot with Me at Round the Cauldron

8 Likes

I’ve been trying a new method of divination. Instead of reading tea leaves I do tea bath readings. Same principal but it’s tub tea not cup and saucer. It’s remarkable and restorative.

5 Likes

Ohhhh thank you for this, @MeganB! :heart_eyes: I know I missed out on the Focus on You divination reading- I’m glad to have another chance at it! :grin::+1:

That’s awesome, @AliceInWonderdab- I love the idea of a tea bath for readings! :bathtub: :tea:

4 Likes

I love the catch-up posts, but I can’t remember which one I didn’t do or if there were 2, I know I was in a weird funk at the time & couldn’t wrap my head around the cards for a little while. Because you know, I’m basically a pendulum. I’m never totally astray but there are times in my life that I am more connected. I’m trying to work on some balance for that part of me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve gotten so much better than when I first started though! Anywho, I will go through them & see which ones I didn’t do & try them out!

3 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab That’s really fun and inventive! I mean, I know you said it’s the same premise as doing tea leaf reading in a cup but still! Baths are so much more fun :bath:

@BryWisteria Absolutely! And that’s a good one to do any time, too :flower_playing_cards: reading for myself is something I don’t actually do very often so I might do that one, too lol

@Susurrus You don’t have to stick to ones that you missed or just didn’t do if you don’t want to. If you feel like you want to give one another go, then go for it! There are no badges or anything given out for the divination discussions, so there’s no worry about doing one twice :hugs: Also, I know you’ve gotten much better! I’ve seen you grown in your confidence in reading tarot over the last few months and I’m proud of you! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Oh thank you! I try to remember to read a 3 or 4 card spread every day whether it’s with a question or just something the universe wants me to know. I write out each card & their meaning then a little synopsis of what it means to me. There are few cards that when I look at them, I am honestly lost, but I feel more confident with my Light Seer’s Tarot deck. It doesn’t pull any punches and is very blunt & to the point with me now. I actually have to cleanse that one because it’s been a while, so I think I will use the smoke from palo santo on it.
That means a lot to me because I never know how I am doing with these things.

4 Likes

No, you’re doing a great job! And that’s a great learning tool that you’re using, too. Writing out what the card means based on traditional meanings and then adding your layer of what it means to you helps give you a personal connection to the card.

This can help you remember the meanings better! I also think that reading more often, even if just pulling a card a day and writing about it, can help you learn the meanings. But you have to remember – there are 78 total cards in a tarot deck and double that if you read reversals! These things take time, patience, and trust with yourself.

5 Likes

Oh didn’t even think of the reversals! You’re definitely right, this isn’t going to happen overnight. I do read the reversals because I feel like that’s what I am supposed to know from the universe. They are sending me the message the best way that they know how & if it’s reversals, then I have to know what it is they are trying to say.

My favorite was when you said you had the feeling of an older snarky woman telling me to trust myself. So something my grandmother would say. When I saw that’s what you got, the first image in my mind was her standing with her hand on her hip talking to me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s basically what I got :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m not worrying about reversals too much just yet~if you find a more traditional deck the cards are the same image either way so perhaps it’s not imperative to delve into that aspect just yet :black_heart:

5 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with different bath “floaties” to divine more interpretations, like the non toxic biodegradable glitters or different bits of flora and fauna~it’s funny I used to bemoan the fact my tub is so old and constantly gets the ring of grime from any tub additions but now I’m like blessed be :joy_cat: as I can read the signs so much clearer and then washing it away seems more like magick less like chores

5 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab – Oh I would love to have a beautiful old rustic bathtub :bath: I also really enjoy the aesthetics of a nice ritual bath, but I have to be careful what I put in my water because I’m on septic and not sewer, so things can get really gross really fast if I mess it up :laughing:

3 Likes

This is your friendly reminder that this divination discussion session will end soon!

Get your discussion posts in by Wednesday 11:59pm EST :crystal_ball: A new discussion will begin Thursday morning.

3 Likes

Omg… I thought I had already done this one, so I will get on it as soon as I can. Goodness where does the time go! Life definitely got away from me on this one.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder- this one slipped under the radar! I took some time to do a reading for the Focus on You challenge.

I started with a one-card reading. At first I wasn’t sure what to ask, but as I shuffled the cards I realized I could use a brief “check-up” on my current overall wellbeing.

Here is the card that my hand caught on:

[“Check-up” self reading]

Three of Pentacles - beginning a project, teamwork, using skills in harmony with others

I laughed when I drew the card- I’m starting a new big project for work and it’s been at the forefront of my mind. I popped out of bed at 4:00am this morning excited to begin brainstorming for it! :laughing: This card definitely sums up my current focus and direction of energies.

Once I had my deck out and in use, I realized I wanted to dig a bit deeper. I wanted to gain insight on two other projects- one in the final stages and another up in the air.

I drew one card for each project:

[Insight on work projects]

1. Five of Wands - Reversed - group struggles, fighting for dominance

Strange, as I always store my deck upright :face_with_monocle:. I guess this card really wanted to be read this way. This is a card of unhealthy rivalries and group struggles- I’m glad the project this card is for is just about wrapped up! It has been a big struggle- hopefully everything ties up peacefully :crossed_fingers:

1. Nine of Pentacles - Indulgence, comfort, harmony

Thrilled to see this card here- looks like the project that is up in the air will turn out to be a great one! And perhaps prosperous too :money_with_wings: :grin:

My Focus on Me reading ending up being all about work :sweat_smile: But I got some great news about both a current project and one in the air (as well as a clear sign to shut down the one that has been dragging on for far too long).

I’m feeling more confident in my work- I’m glad I took the time to hear what the cards had to say! :flower_playing_cards:

Thanks for such a great challenge @MeganB! :heart:

4 Likes

Oh thank you for the reminder! I’m going to have to pull out my tarot cards today!

3 Likes

If we had the answer to that question, we’d all be millionaires :money_mouth_face:

Oh I love the way you did this reading :heart: It looks great! And those cards are beautiful, too :flower_playing_cards:

3 Likes

I pulled the 8 of wands from my favorite deck: the Light Seer’s Tarot. It shows the wands pointing toward the center. I feel like that means to focus on what is going on with yourself/myself. The wands are pointing inward towards the person. Look into yourself & your heart to find the answer you are looking for.

It will be the right answer & only good will come from it. Speak your truth to yourself & the decision will be made quickly for your own highest good.

I tried to do the See the Symbols Challenge, but this may fit in with the Focus on You Challenge instead… since I missed them both either one is fine with me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I missed a few because I was going through some heavy things from November to January. So I’m hoping that I am back on track for a while.

4 Likes