Divination Discussion 🎇 Mr. Novus has a Question

Way to go to everyone that participated in last week’s Divination Discussion where we each did a little bit of research into some not-well-known divination methods.

YAY! Thank you all for participating!

@Amethyst taught us about Ailuromancy – divination with cats! :black_cat:
@berta taught us how to see a future suitor :heart_eyes: and taught us all a bit about IChing :hash:
@BryWisteria informed us of Pyro-osteomancy – divination by burning bones :bone:
@Jeannie1 gave us a new tarot spread based on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs :shallow_pan_of_food:

When we take the time to learn something new, we’re doing our future self a favor. Divination has been around for centuries, and I can only imagine what our primitive ancestors would have done in the Stone Age. Would they have read the clouds? Or looked at the flight patterns of birds? Or maybe the different way plants are growing?

We all know that our journey through witchcraft and the spiritual realm is neverending, so remember to take time to hone your current skills, but also look outside of what you already know to gain a new perspective.

Great job everyone!

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

Ready for the new discussion?

It’s almost the new year! And Mr. Novus has a question for you.

yes…Mr. Novus is fictitious (also, props to you if you can figure out what his name means)

Image Source

A man approaches you for a reading. He is well-dressed, well-kept, and appears middle-aged. He sits with you and you ask what he wants to know. Then, he speaks.

“My name is Mr. Novus,” he says. “I’ve been having a rough year, as most of us have. I’ve come close to losing my job more than once, I’ve had to ask for help with my bills, and I’ve been feeling very down on myself. I’m not used to asking for help and normally my family and I are well-off. What can I focus on for myself to make sure 2021 gets off on the right foot?”

You close your eyes and focus, then consult your divination tools for an answer to his question.

What does the Universe have to say?

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

What to do?

:crystal_ball: Use any divination method you’d like.

:crystal_ball: Use any spread you’d like.

:crystal_ball: If you don’t have a method of divination and you want to use tarot, you can use this website to draw cards for Mr. Novus.

:crystal_ball: Answer the question as if you were speaking directly to Mr. Novus.

:crystal_ball: Have questions or need help? Just ask!

New to Divination Discussion?

How does it work?

• Each week, starting on Thursday, I’ll be posting a new hypothetical divination question.
    For anyone that doesn’t have a divination method or wants to make it a little more challenging, I’ll have another option available for you.

• During the week, use whichever method you feel comfortable with to answer the question. Draw as many cards, throw as many bones, or pull as many runes as you need. Any spread you think will work is okay to use that goes with the challenge.

• Write about it here in the comments and share any pictures you may have taken!

• Discuss your interpretation and the interpretations of others and help out where you can.

• Ask questions! If you’re not sure how to interpret something, please ask. Many of us have personal experience or other sources that we can share.

What’s the purpose?

When we are learning a new method of divination or just practicing, it can be hard to get good practice without actually doing anything. Practicing this way with a hypothetical situation gives you an idea of questions that might be asked and it gives you practice in how to respond if you’re reading for someone else.

Guidelines

Anyone can participate – from new beginners to seasoned readers alike – to benefit from this discussion. To make sure we’re all on the same page, I’ve got some guidelines for everyone to follow to make this a place of safe and constructive discussion.

1. Any divination method is okay - use what you’re okay with.

2. This challenge will run from Thursday of one week to the end of day Wednesday the following week.

3. If you do not want feedback on your interpretation or reading style, please say so. The purpose of this challenge is to learn and discuss with everyone else.

4. Please use trigger warnings if your interpretation involves any mention of the following.

Trigger Warning Words (click me)
  • rape
  • abuse
  • violence
  • self-harm
  • other sensitive materials

To hide words, phrases, or content in your writing, highlight it, click the gear button up top in the formatting, and select either Hide Details or Blur Spoiler

Be sure to get your interpretations in before Wednesday, November 25th!

Remember, there aren’t necessarily wrong answers. Divination is often very personal and that’s why interpretations are fun and good practice!

Need more information on different divination methods? Check out these sources.

:crystal_ball: Cromniomancy, Capnomancy & Other Little-Known Divination Methods
:crystal_ball: How to Use Dice for Divination
:crystal_ball: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Fortelling the Future
:crystal_ball: Tasseography: Tea Leaf Divination
:crystal_ball: Fortune Telling with Regular Cards
:crystal_ball: Whole Tarot Video Course
:crystal_ball: Talk Tarot with Me at Round the Cauldron

7 Likes

Ohhhh hard times have fallen on Mr. Novus! Gotta get out the cards and see what the universe has to say to get him back on a money-making track :money_with_wings::grin:

4 Likes

I’m using the Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards by Doreen Virtue. I drew one card for the beginning of the year, and I drew the Goddess Bast for Independence.

The lesson that goes with this card is: “Your independence is a foundation for your strength and success.”

This card is pointing out how Mr. Novus is normally very independent, and that’s a good thing. But independence means knowing when to ask for help. It seems he’s doing good in that regard, and now is the time to remember how to stand on his own two feet. Trust in the Goddess to help him land right no matter what. He needs to give himself permission to relax and play, even during these tough times.

Bast is also a Goddess of protection, so he needs to do whatever he can to protect his family during these times. Wear a mask, do social distancing, and don’t go to any New Year’s Eve parties. Don’t bend to peer pressure, to stand up for himself and his family. The Wheel will turn and when it does, Mr. Novus will be able to stand on his own again.

That’s what I got.

5 Likes

That’s a great reading, Kasie!

I also did a cartomancy spread for Mr. Novus. Using Tarot and the theme of “2021” I improvised a compact horseshoe with a 2-0-2-1 card placement:

In the big picture I see Mr Novus as the Magician invoking guidance from his Higher Self.

In an intuitive reading, following the path described by the Magus, it seems that the message is one relating to the cyclical nature of life:

Represented by these four cards is a picture of Four different stages of Life. The quote that comes to mind is “This too shall pass”.

Looking at the individual meaning of each card I can tell that this painful season will pass.

The abundance of Cups :trophy: in the spread matches what @Amethyst saw in her reading. Being fluid and flexible like water, asking for help, and embracing his soft and intuitive side will help Mr. Novus bounce back.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Francisco! Yours was great too!

3 Likes

I don’t know where you got the idea for Novus as a name, @MeganB, but I see there is an investment firm with the name. It is most likely based on Novus ordo seclorum from the U.S. $1 bill. :dollar:

Observe in Silence
…It may not be wise to draw attention to yourself or to reveal your plans to others at this time. Instead, be silent. Step back. Be still. Watch those around you and be mindful of what you see, hear and feel…

Show That You Care
Do not distance yourself from life and those around you. Reach out. Ask for help or support if you have need… A trouble shared is a trouble halved. Now is not the time to withdraw and be alone… Reach out and be a friend and allow others to be a friend to you.

A New Day Dawns
…With the dawn comes an opportunity to begin again or to embrace something new. Create what you wish to create. Become the person who you dream of being. Do not allow your doubts or fears to hold you back… Go forth and greet it with a smile upon your lips and joy in your heart.

I would remind Mr. Novus that the cards are reading current energy and intention in the universe. Anyone in his life can change the either force about his future, including himself. With that disclaimer I would then tailor this reading to his situation.

I believe the oracle cards are saying this:

1. In his job it is time to not bring attention to himself but to watch, wait, and listen for new opportunity. Maybe it is a chance to save his job, maybe it is advancement, maybe it is a new job on the horizon, but he will miss whatever if it is if he isn’t observant of the present.
  2. This well-dressed, well-kept man admits that normally his family and him are well off. Life has been blessing him with earthly riches. He should be thankful for that. But now there is a season where he needs to continue to reach out for help, as he has already started. He’s not used to it, and he may not have to be used to it long, but by asking for and accepting the help, he is allowing his friends to be blessings and to be blessed. He is allowing them to be true friends. If it is help from the government he has had to seek, then he is reaping the good harvest of what he has sowed for so many years by initially being successful - he paid into a safety net and now it is available to him. There is no shame in that.
  3. This season of late bills, job struggles, and unpleasant feelings has an end. He will not struggle forever if he follows the advice of the universe from the previous two cards. He will get back on his feet and he will be able to create a fresh start for himself and his family. But first, observe in silence and accept gifts from others.
4 Likes

Deadline Extended – Now Due 12/17/2020

I’m going to extend this to give everyone a chance to partake. In the future, I may make these discussions biweekly or monthly, whichever would work best for everyone.

If you’d like, please answer the poll and let me know what you would prefer.

Divination Discussion Extension
  • Weekly
  • Bi-Weekly (every two weeks)
  • Monthly
  • Don’t care

0 voters

4 Likes

You are a blessing, @MeganB! Gosh it’s been so hectic with holiday prep and work and everything lately- the deadline extension is much appreciated! :pray::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Absolutely! I know even for me I post the discussion and then work gets me swamped and even I forget to partake :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Spoiler :bell: alert, but I know for fact that every one knows :wink: that novus is “new” in Latin.
This is a awesomeness cool exercise, in which I’m going to participate. I just have to keep watching this post, to not forget about it.

3 Likes

I have been slowly working on some divination over the last week or so, getting back in touch with my cards and interpreting the meanings. My cards are kind of blunt with me, which is something I greatly appreciate. I think I will try a different spread for him though because it encompasses 2021 & starting off on the good foot. I will let you know what I come up with probably tomorrow when I do my 7-Day Spread.

4 Likes

:wink: not everyone! But you got it! I look forward to your post in this discussion :smiley:

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

5 Likes

I was having a tougher than normal day yesterday with no sleep and some things going on at my house. When I did my 7 day spread, I forgot to inquire about Mr. Novus. I will have to put him into my workings today while I’m puttering around do my thing today.

6 Likes

No worries :heart:

This discussion will conclude on the 17th so you still have time :blush:

6 Likes

Reminder – this discussion ends tonight at 11pm EST so get your readings in if you haven’t already!

3 Likes

Omg… I am on way to bed & missed this one too! Ack! I’m not a fan of reading for other people regarding… anything. I don’t know why, I’m just not comfortable with it. Although, I just graduated to a 4 card daily pull for myself. :laughing: When I go to my room, I will pull him 1 card! That I can do for anyone I think.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.