Full Snow Moon in Virgo ❄ February 2024

Virgo Full Moon

Look to the skies, witches! The Full Moon for February is upon us - this month, we are approaching the Snow Moon. This month, the Full Snow Moon in Virgo will take place on 2024-02-24T12:30:00Z EST. To check the exact time of the Full Moon in your area, you can use the moon calendar from Astro Seek (click here).

In this post, we will take a moment to explore what a Full Moon is and how the sign of Virgo might affect the energy of this moon. As usual, there will be links, ideas, and inspiration for spells, rituals, and meditations!

Please note: Some links go to pages specifically for Spells8 members - make sure you’re logged in!

What is a Full Moon?

If you need a recap of a Full Moon, click here! 🌕

A full moon happens when the moon is directly opposite the sun from the Earth. This means that the side of the moon facing Earth is fully illuminated by the sun, making it appear as a complete circle of light in the night sky.

As with anything in witchcraft, there are many different beliefs on what type of magick should be done during a Full Moon. Some witches believe banishing should be done. Others believe intentions should be set for manifestations. Still, others (such as myself) believe that the Full Moon is the best time for literally any spell you want because the energy is at its highest.

During the Full Moon, the Triple Goddess becomes the Mother of all beings. It’s a great time to work on intuition, spells of love, and prosperity. The Power of all Magic is truly at its peak, this lunar phase is key to either accept or reject projects, transformations, and manifestations that we initiated during the New Moon. - Spells and Things To Do on a Full Moon | Spells8

The Snow Moon

February’s Full Moon is known as the Snow Moon in the Northern Hemisphere. This is because, in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere, there is still snow on the ground (or it is still cold for the area). According to The Old Farmer’s Almanac, “Captain Jonathan Carver, who had visited with the Naudowessie (Dakota), wrote that the name used for this period was the Snow Moon, 'because more snow commonly falls during this month than any other in the winter.'”

Snow Moon Ritual
Snow Moon Ritual & Spell

In the Southern Hemisphere, this Full Moon may be known as the Grain Moon, the Sturgeon Moon, the Red Moon, or many others. Feel free to adapt this ritual to your local area or take the Full Sturgeon Moon Ritual and make it work for you!

Micro Moon

This month, we also have something called a micromoon! We do not hear about micromoons very often, but it is the opposite of a supermoon. This Full Moon will be at apogee, otherwise known as the farthest point from Earth. The Full Moon will appear smaller in the sky than normal because it will be about 252,225 miles from Earth!

The Sign of Virgo

Virgo is the virgin sign of the Zodiac, a mutable Earth sign ruled by the planet Mercury. This sign is Earthy in all sense of the word - grounded, down-to-earth, and stable. Virgos love to help, embracing acts of service in whatever way they can. Sometimes, this desire to assist those around them is to their detriment as they will do whatever is necessary for others and neglect themselves. Virgos have a keen eye and notice things that others may not. This gives them an advantage in their endeavors as they approach tasks and challenges with an analytical mind. However, the downfall of this is that Virgos may be more critical of themselves - something to watch out for!

Learn more about Virgo :virgo:Beginner Astrology - Guide to the Signs by @Cosmic_Curiosity

Magick for the Snow Moon

February is a month of cleansing and purification - this began with Imbolg and is also seen in the name of the month. February is named after the Latin word februum which means purification. There was also the Roman Festival Februa held on February 15th, also known as Lupercalia.

Lupercalia is an ancient Roman festival that was celebrated every year on February 15th. It was a fertility festival dedicated to Lupercus, the Roman god of shepherds and fertility, as well as to the founders of Rome, Romulus, and Remus. Though not many people celebrate Lupercalia today, those with pagan practices or connections may want to add this celebration to their Wheel of the Year.

Celebrating Lupercalia: History & Traditions! – Spells8

Moon in Virgo Meditation

Combine the Snow Moon with the sign of Virgo for some potent magick! Virgo enhances your spells and rituals with her grounding and earthly energy. The Snow Moon encompasses all things purification and cleansing. This is a wonderful Full Moon to work spells for cleansing, purifying, or banishing anything here on the material world.

Activities for the Full Snow Moon in Virgo

There are many things you can do for the full moon, but these activities will be enhanced by the specific energy of this Snow Moon in Virgo!

Grounding And Centering

The number one (and two!) skill to learn as a witch, be sure to ground and center yourself this Full Moon. Virgo is an Earth sign, so connect well with the Earth energy of Virgo to enhance any work you are doing this month. Even if you are not doing any spells or rituals for this Full Moon, you may find it much easier to connect to the energy of the Earth during this Full Moon.

Learn moreGrounding and Centering: What’s the Difference and How to Practice || Spells8

Cleanse Your Home

Lean into the energy of February, Imbolg, and Lupercalia with a home-cleansing spell! Clear out the cobwebs and shake up the dust - it is the perfect time to clean and cleanse your home of stagnant and stuck energies. Your preferred method of cleansing will work well, but if you need inspiration, a beautiful bell to cleanse with sound can do wonders.

7 Simple Ways to Cleanse Negativity

Plant Seeds Of Inspiration

We often plant seeds of inspiration on the New Moon, but I find that this Full Moon is another auspicious time to do some intention-setting. The Snow Moon means there are still colder months ahead. However, we have also passed Imbolg already and the signs of Spring are clear! I know Spring is coming in my area because I can hear the birds sing even though there is still snow on the ground. In any case, plant some physical and metaphysical seeds to be ready by Ostara!

Check out this intention-setting spell jar!Intentions Jar by SilverBear || Spells8

Volunteering

Virgo is a natural helper, so why not join in and help those in your community who need it? Whether you prefer to help by lending a physical hand or a spiritual one, you can never go wrong with helping those in your area or community who are down on their luck. Find a charity or a local non-profit (or even just a friend or family member) and see what good you can do.

Find a local volunteer opportunity with VolunteerMatchVolunteerMatch (non-Spells8 link)

Remember, the energy of the Full Moon isn’t just for the one day that it reaches its peak. Personally, I give myself a three-day window for the Full Moon: the day before, the day of, and the day after. This works well for my practice and it may work for yours, too!

Do you plan to work with this Full Moon? What are your favorite ways to work with a Full Moon?

Let’s hear about it!

14 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Spells8 Calendar Troubleshooting

Wishing everyone a bright and blessed full moon!

Full Moon Blessings Gif

10 Likes

I’ve had this “Spell A Day” tea bookmarked since it popped up, and I’ve finally gotten around to it for the full moon. :silver_heart:

I skipped the honey, but it’s still nice. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My partner really likes it, too.

I’m also in the middle of interpreting a full moon tarot spread. :silver_heart:

Then… I might make a grounding and centring bath. We had another “false alarm evacuation” morning, so I imagine such a bath would be wonderfully useful. :silver_heart:

Still got a while to go before the actual moment of fullness.

9 Likes

Beautiful Full Moon :blush: :white_circle:

I’m going to make some moon water and light a candle for Selene :white_heart:

9 Likes

Happy full moon :full_moon:

9 Likes

Woohoo! Wonderful Full Moon Blessings to everyone!!! Blessed Be! :full_moon:

9 Likes

Time for some full moon magick music~ :sparkles: :black_heart:

I feel like it couldn’t have been me who found these songs. Like, they’re too nice. Since when did I find such nice things?! :laughing:

(Don’t worry. I’m not hating on myself. Just find myself surprising sometimes, y’know? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

10 Likes

The full snow moon this morning 6:35am :full_moon:

10 Likes

@crystal59 Gorgeous :heartpulse:

9 Likes

It’s 02:35 here, and the moon is bright! My photo almost looks like it’s during the day!

It’s so beautiful. I wish I’d charged the battery for my camera so I could get a nicer photo. :black_heart:

10 Likes

@starborn It’s beautiful :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Using this full moon to bring prosperity to my house and my roommates as two are looking for jobs and we’ve just been lacking financially. It’s warming up here in the south so it might be time for me to get some gardening supplies for herbs and veggies!

11 Likes

@starborn – Oh, you just reminded me about that tea, too! The only thing I don’t have is the Jasmine… :thinking: maybe I’ll make it tonight, too. I can’t believe you had another false alarm evacuation. What is that now, five? :grimacing: I hope whoever is in charge of the building can get that under control. What a nuisance!

@CelestiaMoon – I think I’m gonna make some moon water, too. I’ve got some goals and I think the moon water, especially in Virgo, will be helpful.

@tracyS & @Kajsa – Happy Full Moon!

Oh, thank you for this! I love some good background music :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :musical_note:

@crystal59 – Beautiful picture! :full_moon:

If I didn’t know that was the moon I’d say yes :joy: it looks like a daytime photo!

@Vampblud – I wish you all the luck with your prosperity work! :pray:

10 Likes

Me, too. The first strata meeting is soon, so we’ll raise it there. :face_exhaling:

I didn’t have the peppermint and used spearmint instead. :sweat_smile: It was still good. Although, I don’t know what I’d use instead of jasmine. Would have to check my books. :thinking: How did you go with it, if you made any? :black_heart:

8 Likes

Get 'em! It’s ridiculous that you’ve been through so many already. I know there are things they can do to mitigate these false alarms. There has to be! I mean, eventually, people will get complacent if it’s just false alarm after false alarm – then when there’s a real emergency, no one will move quickly because they’ll think it’s another false alarm. That’s how people get hurt :grimacing:

I didn’t end up making it :sweat_smile: I hadn’t been feeling well the last few days so I instead made my usual lemon/ginger/honey tea and went to sleep! I’m saving it for the next Full Moon, though.

6 Likes

The Full Snow Moon of 2024 has come and gone :heart: