Raidho 5th Rune of the Elder Futhark & Freya's Aett

Rune Name: :raido: Raidho (5th Rune of the Elder Futhark & Freya’s Aett)

Germanic Name: Raidho, riding, journey
Phonetic Value: R
Pronunciation: Rah-EED-oh
Translation: Journey, riding, wheel
Modern English: Riding or Rowel

Rune Number: 5 (5th Rune of the Elder Futhark & Freya’s Aett)

Polarity: Female

Color Association(s): Bright Red
Elemental Association(s): Earth, Fire
Deity Association(s): Forseti is an obscure pre-Christian Norse god. He is mentioned only twice in Old Norse literature.

Herbal Association(s): Mugwort
Tree Association(s): Oak

Astrological Association(s): Sagittarius
Calendar Days: August 29 – September 13

Chakras: Root, Solar Plexus
Tarot Card(s): The Chariot, The Sun

Magickal Uses: Use Raidho when you travel over great distances by inscribing it onto your vehicle, luggage, or even yourself. Chant to bring the blessings of the gods upon you while traveling, and it is an essential rune in shamanic journeying for protection.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Travel, mobility, movement, rhythm, journey. Vitality, quest, purpose, guidance, cycle, timing, unity.

Rune of the long ride, long hard journey of growth & becoming in the world. A journey that must be governed by good counsel & rational process. The honed will, discipline, & drive to move forward along the path laid forth by the divine.

Raidho is the rune of the traveler, offering protection & guidance on journeys through both the physical & astral planes. Calls to the vehicles that allow people to work & move together, driving progress & the communities further forward so that their singular & collective goals may be realized.

Your path is clear, so long as you allow your internal compass to chart your route. Solar rays shine forth to illuminate the way. Attune yourself to the rhythm & hum of the earth that pulses through your blood.

As the wheel turns, so do my eyes & heart turn to the sun. Bathing in divine luminescence, I will never steer astray.

Brightstave/Upright:

An ordered change is indicated. Ordered ethical deeds are necessary. This requires planning, preparation, & good judgment, however. Action is necessary. Gain experience in the “outside world”. A journey or change in a domestic situation is in the offing. Logical matters may become a concern. Justice may be expected. Make use of reason & counsel. This rune may signify a person in the legal or transportation field.

You are advised to keep your focus on the journey itself, rather than your arrival. Raidho signifies not only the vehicle you ride in but the road you travel on. You will be best served by making the most of the journey along the way.

Merkstave/Reversed:

Hard times ahead. Spiritual crisis based on unpreparedness. Spiritual boredom resulting from rigid routines. Beware of bad advice. A blockage of the Raidho force will lead to injustice or inappropriate irrationality. A blockage of the Raidho force will lead to injustice, violence, stultification, or inappropriate irrationality.

Journeys may often just be detours off one’s primary path, not part of our primary life journey.

Failure to move on will lead to stunted growth

Moves & career changes can also mean disruptions in personal relationships, and these must be maintained in order to remain a whole person.

Meditation: :raido: Raidho Rune Meditation Magin Rose

Sources:

• Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

• Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020.
    https://tamedwild.com/products/wild-runes-deck

• McCoy, Daniel. “Runes.” Norse Mythology for Smart People , 8 Feb. 2019, Runes - Norse Mythology for Smart People.

• Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

• Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

10 Likes

I am enjoying learning more about the runes. Thank you so much!

4 Likes

Raidho the travel rune! This one is very close to my heart, and is probably the first rune I was able to remember :laughing: :+1:

I used it as part of a bindrune (along with Elhaz/Algiz) not too long ago when I made a Safe Travels Spell Pouch and I was very happy with the results. This is a powerful rune for those on the road! :railway_track:

I didn’t know Raidho was associated with these tarot cards- that makes sense! :sun_with_face: I know we’re probably just looking at the Major Arcana here for the runes, but I can’t help but think that for Minor Arcana Raidho could perhaps correspond with the Three of Wands too :wand_tarot: :blush:

Thank you so much for all of your wisdom, @Susurrus- you do a really great job putting these posts together! :clap:

2 Likes

@BryWisteria… runes are associated with tarot cards yes. They aren’t always the Major Arcana & there are instances where there are Major & Minor Arcana cards that they are associated with, I can check my source again for Tarot, maybe I missed a card! I will definitely let you know though in a few minutes.

Edit: I have Raidho with the 2 Major Arcana, The Chariot & The Sun. The next rune that I am doing is Kenaz (I have yet to draw this rune) & that rune is associated with the Ace of Wands :wand_tarot: & 8 of pentacles :pentacle_tarot:, sometimes they are both Major & Minor.

I have to remember to use my emojis, I’ve had a lot on my mind the last couple of weeks, I’ll get back to it though.

2 Likes

Ahhhh sorry to trouble you, @Susurrus- I didn’t mean to make you check, you are very kind! The Three of Wands just popped into my mind out of my own inner associations between things. As someone studying the tarot and still in the very early stages of studying runes, writing it out helps me slowly flesh out what ties with what- both traditionally and in my own personal correspondences :smile:

I’m not sure why I had it in my head the runes were aligning with just the Major Arcana- I can see in your other posts (and what you’ve kindly shared here too!) that runes can associate with any card. I guess I needed a reminder haha! Thanks again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Oh no trouble at all, if anything I want to make sure that I have given reliable information. Of course, there can always be personal associations to cards with the runes for yourself too. Originally I had the same idea, that it was only the Major Arcana, so when I found out that not only can it be Minor Arcana but more than 1 card, I was enthralled! :star_struck:

2 Likes

@BryWisteria… I just drew the Raidho rune for today! So I will be going over the meanings I have & doing the associated meditation.

There are only a few runes that I haven’t pulled in a daily draw, Kenaz, Gebo & 1 other. I just can’t recall the name right now.

2 Likes