Slavic Paganism at Eurovision šŸŽµ

Greetings to all!

To those unfamiliar with it, Eurovision is a yearly music competition between countries. Itā€™s a bit like American Idol, but with each singer/group representing their country.

Although I live in Europe now, I am an American and many of the details around Eurovision still go right over my head :joy: My Polish partner has tried to explain things to me many times, but itā€™s this crazy mix of politics andā€¦ well, craziness that I just canā€™t seem to wrap my head around :laughing:

[From BuzzFeed: Eurovision Explained for Americans]

This year, my favorite song was by a very talented artist called Go_A from Ukraine.

Aside from being an absolute banger, the song draws on Ukrainian folklore and Slavic Paganism, which is really neat! :heart_eyes: You can view it here:

You can view English lyrics by clicking ā€œCCā€ at the bottom of the video, but Iā€™ll also post them here:

SHUM by Go_A

Oh Spring song, Spring song
Where have you spent your Winter?
In the garden, sitting on a maple tree
Youā€™ve been spinning a shirt.
There on the edge of a forest
An owl is blowing into the water.
Iā€™ll sing a song ā€“
Let her hear it.
Shum, get twined with periwinkle
Iā€™m singing the vesnyanka to you.
Sowing, sowing, sowing, sowing hemp plants,
Sowing, sowing, sowing, sowing green ones.
Come Spring, come
Donā€™t wait around
Weā€™ll go outside
to love each other.
Oh Spring, our Miss,
Look in our window.
We had sang our song
And the Sun shined on.

[Full lyrics at source: wiwibloggs]

From reading comments on various sites, it seems that the song is about the re-awakening of nature at the spring solstice through appealing to the God of the Forest (Shum) :evergreen_tree: :deer: I feel like Shum could be a face of the Green Man/Horned Man :deciduous_tree:

We donā€™t see too much about Slavic Paganism in the forum, so I thought Iā€™d share it! Iā€™ve also been playing it non-stop for a week :laughing:

Enjoy! :musical_note:

13 Likes

Yay Eurovision!
This was one of my favourite songs this year! It took me back to my Polish folk dancing :dancer: daysā€¦ and the after-parties :joy::tada:
Haha thanks for sharing! :heart:

8 Likes

Thank you for introducing me to Eurovision!!! This is right up my alley!!! I love the band you showed!!! They were amazing :star_struck: I love it all from the bands attire, the music, the lyrics, her voice, the dancing and how everyone ripped off the hazmat suits. Thank you for this!!! I need to look more into Slavic Paganism. :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkles::relaxed::wilted_flower:

9 Likes

Eurovision is bizarre but addictive. That song is fabulous.

I watch it partly for the sometimes bonkers songs, and partly for the amusing commentary.

Once again the UK got nil points, Europe really isnā€™t keen on us at the moment!

8 Likes

Very interesting! I liked it but it was a little too clubby for me. Iā€™m used to the symphonic metal like Nightwish and Withing Temptation. LOL. Now, Floor, the lead on Nightwish, she can belt out a tune!

5 Likes

Iā€™m going see Evanescence next year (rearranged for the second or third time from last year because Covid) and theyā€™re being supported by Within Temptation. Really looking forward to it.

7 Likes

OOOH! You lucky person! Iā€™d love to see that concert, two of my favorite groups! Youā€™ll enjoy it!

5 Likes

That sounds like so much fun, @Limeberry! :partying_face: Thatā€™s so cool that you did Polish folk dancing!!! :heart_eyes: :dancer:

It is a wild time :joy:- Iā€™m so glad you liked it, @Christina4! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This yearā€™s Eurovision is over, but all of the songs and performances are on YouTube, so if youā€™re hoping for more, there is plenty out there! :grin: As for Go_A, she has another gorgeous song with Slavic Pagan vibes that I love:

I think you did a great job summing up Eurovision, @IrisW :grin::+1: I could not figure out the voting system- all I know is that my partner was on an emotional rollercoaster when they were giving out the votes :joy: and oh my gosh- thatā€™s amazing you are going to see Evanescence!!! :heart_eyes:

If metal is more your style, @Amethyst, maybe youā€™d like Italyā€™s entry this year! The Italian metal rock band MĆ„neskin won the whole competition :guitar: :love_you_gesture: :grin:

6 Likes

I have never heard of EuroVision before, or if I have, I didnā€™t realize what it was. I love music festivals. I have gone to a couple here where there were different bands & activities going on around the venue & you could walk around & see or hear whatever tickled your fancy! I will check this out on YouTube though! Thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

Sigh. Evidently that video isnā€™t available in my country. I hate it when that happens. Iā€™ll keep an eye out for it though, sounds interesting.

4 Likes

I LOVE the song, @BryWisteria !

Funny all I know of Eurovision is from that movie with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams. :joy:

Iā€™d love to hear all of yā€™allā€™s witchy music!!

6 Likes

Youā€™re very welcome, @Susurrus! :blush: Reading your post made me miss summer concerts- hopefully weā€™ll be able to hear more live music this year! :musical_note: :grin:

Naughty Eurovision for blocking songs to the US! :astonished: Sorry @Amethyst- the band has their own official YouTube Channel, so maybe this version of the song will work for you?

Awesome, @sarah29! It is pretty catchy :partying_face: As for witchy music- glad you brought it up! :grin: Weā€™ve had a few threads collecting witchy music in the past, feel free to check them out if youā€™re interested- and def share your fave witchy tunes too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Blessed be! :dancer: :sparkles:

3 Likes

OOH, thank you! Much more my speed. :metal:

3 Likes

I really liked that song.

This is the first year Iā€™m aware of Eurovision just because a band I like very much was there, itā€™s DaĆ°i Freyr, theyā€™re from Iceland and theyā€™re are soooo good!

The song you shared reminded me a little bit of Onuka, another Ucranian band that I admire a lot.

Thank you for sharing! What a nice discovery :notes:

5 Likes

So glad you liked it, @RyuWyn! :blush: And thatā€™s funny you mention it- my partner loves the song they performed at Eurovision. We keep hearing it on the radio too! Itā€™s quite catchy :dancer::notes::grin:

I had to look up Onuka- although YouTube says I already have one of their songs saved in a playlist! :laughing: I love ZENIT, but now Iā€™ll have to check out more of their tunes too!

Thanks for the recommendation, WhiteFox! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Looks like weā€™ll be counting down the days until Eurovision next year- canā€™t wait to hear the next batch of songs! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes