šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XXI (Sep 16 - Oct 14)

Wishing a warm welcome to all of the forum book-lovers!

:books: :blush: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last monthā€™s reading session (Reading Session XX)

For those who havenā€™t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XX- Readerā€™s Reviews .

As of today, the twenty-first book club reading session has now begun !

Spells8 Book Club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! :books:

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As youā€™re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

Picture from Pixabay

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! For books with multiple readers, a separate discussion just for you will open for you to swap thoughts and share insights.

Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene for the final discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

If you are reading a book along with someone else, please make a note in the comments so I can create a special discussion thread for you!

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

Picture from Pixabay

If you have any questions about Book Club, be sure to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

7 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:
Book Title by Author
(@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• Keeping her Keys. An introduction to hecateā€™s modern witchcraft by Cindy Brannen
    @martje

• Animal Spirit Guides by Steven D. Farmer, Ph. D.
    @Amethyst

• Encountering The Dark Goddess: A Journey into the SHadow Realms by Frances Billinghurst
    @Amaris_Bane

• The Spiral Dance by Starhawk
    @Amaris_Bane

• The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
    @August_Wandering

• Mystical Dragon Magick by D.J. Conway
    @Kasandra

• The Faithless by C.L. Clark (Fantasy)
    @gardenstone

• The Spirited - Connect to the guides all around you by Rebecca Rosen
    @jan_TheGreenWitch

• Wild Magic: Celtic Folk Traditions for the Solitary Practitioner by: Danu Forest @Susurrus (continuation from last book clubā€¦ lots of changes lately, so less time to enjoy reading :laughing:)

• Bucklandā€™s Complete Book of Witchcraft By Raymond Buckland Amazon.com
    @Wysteria_Norn

• The Holistic Witch By Shawn Robbins and Leanna Greenaway
    @TheMuslimWitch

10 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

ā†’ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If youā€™ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, I canā€™t find the little edit pencil. Can you add Animal Spirit Guides by Steven D. Farmer, Ph. D. for me to read?

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, I also donā€™t see the edit function. Can you add these two for me?

• Encountering The Dark Goddess: A Journey into the SHadow Realms by Frances Billinghurst
  • The Spiral Dance by Starhawk
6 Likes

I also could not locate the edit functions on this post. So hereā€™s my book. :grinning:
It was brought to my attention by my daughter in Sacramento that I donā€™t read for fun anymore, that I only read for learning. So she introduced me to this bookā€¦and itā€™s AWESOME so far!

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
(@) august_wandering

10 Likes

I remember that @Francisco recommended this book to me over a year ago when I made the decision to become a practitioner of dragon magick. I finally bought the book and I am reading it now!

Iā€™m reading the chapter on the First Ring, which is the easiest to step into. So far, the chapter is discussing things that I already know about magick, such as the types of spells and suggestions on when you should and shouldnā€™t use them. The dragon code of ethics is similarly to the Wiccan Rede: if you harm none, do what you will.

Side note: Tripping spells? Sounds like another name for Return to Sender spell.

Right now, Iā€™m reading about the different types of dragons. There are dark dragons (like Veaug) and chaos dragons (like Luqueas).

I wonder if Iā€™m already in the Second Ring, but Iā€™ll have to continue reading to properly gauge where I actually am. It takes time to move into the next Ring and readers shouldnā€™t expect that they will make progress in less than six months.

One thing I love is Conway stressing the importance of humility. When it comes to magick, ā€œnever claim that you are a master, because someone can always come by and prove you wrong.ā€

10 Likes

Note: I fixed the Wiki post and everyone should be able to add their books now :blush:

8 Likes

Alix is SUCH a good author, youā€™re going to enjoy this adventure! (Itā€™s on my list, and I canā€™t wait!)

7 Likes

I donā€™t have a cover I can show yet, as this is a pre-release, but hereā€™s the cover of the first book in the series, The Unbroken

10 Likes

@MeganB to the rescue! :woman_superhero: :heart::star2: Apologies to those who couldnā€™t enter their books before- looks like I made the wiki post but then didnā€™t actually turn it into a wiki, wah wah wah :sweat_smile: Thanks to Megan for making it work! :blush:

Ohhhh animal spirit guides! :star_struck: I am intrigued- hope you enjoy the book and canā€™t wait to hear what you think of it, Amethyst! :heart:

Go, Amaris, go- look at you doubling up your readings! :raised_hands: Iā€™ve heard good things about Starhawk (and thereā€™s actually a discussion for that book still open- just beware of any spoilers!) and Encountering the Dark Goddess sounds like something right up your alley.

I hope you enjoy the books- blessed reading! :books:

If the inside of the book is anywhere near as cool as the cover then itā€™s sure to be a great read- I love the artwork! It sounds like a great recommendation from your daughter :blush:

I hope you continue to enjoy it, August, and Iā€™m really looking forward to hearing your review! :heart:

Wise words! :raised_hands:

It sounds like the book is something that even a beginner could pick up and feel welcome- do you think the first chapter covers general areas of magick, or is it mostly focused on dragon magick right from the get-go? Either way, it sounds like it is becoming a great read for you, Kasandra! I hope you continue to enjoy it :dragon_face: :two_hearts: :blush:

Ohhhhhh interesting :star_struck:

C.L Clark sounded really familiar, but I looked up her author profile on Goodreads and Iā€™m pretty sure I havenā€™t read any of her worksā€¦ yet. My guess is that Iā€™ve seen them around- I canā€™t wait to hear what you think of The Unbroken, Garden! :grinning: Definitely let us know if you think itā€™s worth a read! :books::two_hearts:

7 Likes

Oh, I probably confused things. I have read *The Unbroken *and LOVED it! Now Iā€™m reading an advance copy of the sequel, which doesnā€™t have a cover yet that I can share. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Chapter 1 is the longest chapter in the book it seems. So far, it has discussed dark dragons and chaos dragons, the dragon code of ethics (which is similar to the Wiccan Rede), basic rules on casting spells and types of spells.

Right now, Iā€™m reading about the Other World and there is A LOT to remember. I have a map drawn of the various levels as well as a description of the various places. Iā€™m interested in the Web Weavers, a clan of female dragon seers. Kaudra is the leader of the seers and she decides when you are ready to move on to a higher spiritual level. Iā€™m eager to connect with her since divination is a major part of my Craft!

There is a spell to find her dragon guardian, which I believe I have already found, and a spell to find your dragon teacher. I plan to cast that when the next lunar cycle begins.

6 Likes

@Gardenstone Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding! That is so cool that youā€™ve got an advance copy and can jump into the sequel :blush: If you enjoyed The Unbroken, I hope the next volume is just as great of a read for you! :books::two_hearts:

@Kasandra Goodness, it sounds absolutely loaded with information- and definitely a lot focused on dragon magick! Iā€™m so glad youā€™re enjoying it and also finding good resources too. It sounds like this book is a really great match for you and your practice- wishing you all the best with casting the spell to find your dragon teacher! :dragon_face: :teacher: :heart:

7 Likes

Hecate, I could never suspect I would work with her, but she came into my life, thanks to this coven and the challenges. The fierce witch I saw with the element fire, turned into a crone, and later into the godess Hecate, still in crone version.
While I was searching through the podcasts on Spotify I came across Cindy Brannen. And Immediately I felt a connection. I thought she was very wise, and she gave me the information I needed to hear. I watched a video on YouTube from her.
I found out she wrote a book. Two books, but I will start with this one. Alas only in English, which asks for more concentration from my side.
But that s even more a reason to discuss it here.
The book is a kind of course, to connect with her. With questions in every chapter, prayers, practices. I just started it. The first chapter is about dedicating yourself to her, to this course, writing your intentions, making an altar. So this is where I will start.

9 Likes

Itā€™s always interesting to me that so many work with Hecate & Iā€™m over here likeā€¦ nope, I know nothing unless itā€™s related to Brigid, the Morrigan, & then some of the other Celtic Gods & Goddesses, & then a little bit about the Tuatha De Danaanā€¦ Iā€™m always curious though what others have found out or learned about Hecate where she is so popular though.

I have seen this book a few times come up in suggested reading, so I would love to see your review once you have finished @martje

7 Likes

I guess it ā€˜s the feeling I get from her. You know I have worked with Brigid. She is bright, loving, and also strong. But in a very different way. Hecate is more neutral to me as in being good or bad. I am going to face the shadows of my life and this energy is just more suitable I guess

7 Likes

@martjeā€¦ if thatā€™s what feels right & goodā€¦ go for it! Do what you feel is going to help you the most.

Itā€™s interesting to me how much I know about Hecate but at the same time how little because I donā€™t work with the Greek Pantheon, Iā€™m drawn & meet with the Celtic pantheon, but I am a very Celtic Pagan/Witchā€¦ I mean thereā€™s some things that donā€™t necessarily fall in there, but everyone is different in their practice. Not everyone is going to have the same deities.

I will say that is how I feel about Brigid & that is how I feel about the Morrigan. She is also a Dark Goddess of the Otherworld among other things. But my needs are most likely different than yours. So I can see why the Morrigan makes her presence known to me based on personal experiences & experiences with her.

Iā€™m happy that you are learning so much & it is all just clicking with Hecate for you! There is an Etsy shop called Hecateā€™s Boutique & there are some gorgeous handmade items. Bookmarks, beads, bracelets. Iā€™ll go hunt down the link & send add it for you to check out.

7 Likes

Thank you Siofra :kissing_heart: I think when you are guided towards deities from the inside it ā€˜s always the best way to go, and you are right, everyone is different. And not so different at the same time :crazy_face: I would like to see the things you are talking about.

7 Likes

@Martje How exciting that Hecate has reached out to you, Martje- Iā€™m so happy for you! This sounds like a great book with lots of information on how you can deepend your bond and connect with Her. Also your English is perfect, my friend, so no worries there- youā€™ve got this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you enjoy the book and Iā€™m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! Blessed reading! :heart::open_book: :old_key:

6 Likes