šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XXV (Feb 3 - Mar 3)

Wishing a warm welcome to all of the forum book-lovers!

:books: :blush: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last monthā€™s reading session! For those who havenā€™t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXIV- Readerā€™s Reviews discussion.

As of today, the 25th book club reading session has now begun !

spells8 book club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! :books:

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As youā€™re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

Picture from Pixabay

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! For books with multiple readers, a separate discussion just for you will open for you to swap thoughts and share insights.

Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene for the final discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

If you are reading a book along with someone else, please make a note in the comments so I can create a special discussion thread for you!

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

Picture from Pixabay

If you have any questions about Book Club, please feel free to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

6 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:

• Book Title by Author
    (@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• The Crooked Path - An introduction to traditional Witchcraft by Kelden
    @gemma7

• Wild Magic by Danu Forest
    @gemma7

• The Green Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
    @BryWisteria

• Witchcraft Therapy by Mandi Em
    @catherine11

• Modern Witchcraft with the Greek Gods by Jason Mankey and Astrea Taylor
    @Amethyst

• Happy Witch: Activities, Spells, and Rituals to Calm the Chaos and Find Your Joy by Mandi Em
    @Amaris_Bane

• Witchcraft for Daily Self-Care by Rosalyn Vargas - 3 book series
    @Amaris_Bane

• Brigid by Courtney Weber
    @stephanieanne76

• Pagan Portals - Brigid: Meeting The Celtic Goddess Of Poetry, Forge, And Healing Well by Morgan Daimler @Susurrus

• House Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
    @Aurora_Hestia

• The Magickal Family by Monica Crosson
    @Aurora_Hestia

• Irish Witchcraft by Lora Oā€™Brien
    @MeganB

• The Alchemistā€™s Handbook Frater Albertus
    @Wysteria_Norn

• VenCo by Cherie Dimaline
    @helenc

10 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

ā†’ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If youā€™ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

8 Likes

I know Iā€™m not going to get though this in one go. As has been mentioned in the circle, Iā€™ve been having a lot of stress and yucky stuff going on in life lately. Well this book just about leaped off the shelf at me as Iā€™ve been feeling like a very stuck and sad witch. So hopefully as I work through this it will help me get unstuck and in a better place. I know I want to actually do the spells and rituals listed, so it will take time to work through them.

9 Likes

That is absolutely fine, @catherine11- no rush and no stress, okay? :heart: Reading (at least around here!) should be about having fun and enjoying yourself- so please feel free to enjoy your book on your time and at your own pace. It sounds like it is a book that was calling your name- I hope it has the inspiration and encouragement you are seeking! :blush:

Good luck and happy reading- Iā€™m looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it in the future! :books::sparkles:

8 Likes

I hope my pick is okay. Brigid has been calling to me as of late and I decided this book would give me a wealth of information on who is was and is. I gravitate to all things nature, Gaia, Celtic, Irish, green. I have so many goals and plans this year. Instead of losing myself in depression and anxiety, I am working on losing myself into my beliefs and my ancestry.

9 Likes

So this is my attempt at reinforcing what I know before going further by rereading one of the first books I ever read about my beloved Brigid. Weā€™ll see how this goes & how far I make it through!

@stephanieanne76 I think its grwat that you are learning more Her. I also had gone through a back to basics & self discovery, I found that I am very aligned with the Irish :ireland: Celtic :triquetra: practices & Iā€™m always learning new things.

As I am kind of refiguring my practice, Iā€™m reinforcing my knowledge & understanding before building off of where I am in my path :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

I canā€™t wait to read your thoughts on this @BryWisteria! I ended up buying House Witch to read, but almost got Green Witch. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll end up with all of her books eventually thought :laughing: Maybe Iā€™ll end up grabbing the Green Witch from Kindle Unlimited to read along with the House Witch though!

Ooh, I had no idea this was even a book and I am super excited to read your review on this! Iā€™ve just started diving into Greek Gods so this looks amazing.

7 Likes

Love & Light my dear friend! I have always been pulled by nature, the ocean, the mountains. They are the places I feel most at peace and safe. Gaia has always been and always will be the Goddess of my heart, soul, and spirit. But since joining the coven (and today is my one year anniversary!!! Goodness, I cannot believe it) Brigid has really called out to me and really was the reason I did the ancestry DNA test. So I am very, very excited to read this book along with many others!!

6 Likes

@stephanieanne76 I have that book too! Itā€™s one I hope to reread after the one Iā€™m reading now. :books:

Happy Anniversary :birthday: :blush: time flies sometimes! :heartbeat:

I really hope that enjoy the book :open_book: I look forward to your review!

@Aurora_Hestia I have read the House Witch. I really enjoyed it. I think Iā€™ll have to add that one to my list of ones to review :hugs:

7 Likes

Oh Iā€™m so happy to hear that! I had such a hard time deciding which one to get so Iā€™m glad to hear you like it. What Iā€™ve read so hard has been wonderful!

7 Likes

Looking forward to starting the House Witchā€¦ thatā€™s next on my reading list :hugs::nerd_face::open_book:

6 Likes

@BryWisteria , thanks for the encouragement. Itā€™s been good so far, makes some very good points, Iā€™ll save those for final review though. The rituals have been great, as thereā€™s a lot of pointers on substitutions if you donā€™t have a certain item, and how not everyoneā€™s at the same point and thatā€™s ok.

8 Likes

It is absolutely okay- in fact, it sounds like a book that is a great match for your interests! :blush: I hope that you enjoy reading Brigid and that it has lots of helpful tips and guidance to help you on your path towards your goals this year. Happy reading, @stephanieanne76! :heart:

Ohhhh! :star_struck: Iā€™ve heard good things about House Witch- I canā€™t wait to hear your thoughts on it, Aurora! Hahaha we can swap opinions on the two books :wink::two_hearts:

Green Witch is really good so far- I admit I havenā€™t had much time to sit down and read over the past weeks, but what I have read has been enjoyable. Itā€™s really loaded with information too- Iā€™m impressed with just how much is being covered! :open_book:

Awesome- Iā€™m so happy to hear youā€™ve been enjoying it! It sounds like there is a wealth of information, Iā€™d love to hear more about the rituals, and gosh- one can never have too many resources when it comes to substitutions! Iā€™m looking forward to hearing all your thoughts in your review, Catherine- happy reading! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

I feel the same about the House Witch! I havenā€™t gotten as far as Iā€™d hoped to yet, but I feel like Iā€™ve learned so much in the little bit I have read. I look forward to swapping notes :wink:

6 Likes

I have been feeling the same @stephanieanne76 and am excited to read your selection!

7 Likes

I have gotten to start rereading my first Brigid book Pagan Portals - Brigid: Meeting The Celtic Goddess Of Poetry, Forge, And Healing Well & Iā€™m going to reread Brigid by Courtney Weber afterward.

I also just got the full English translation of the Caith Maige Tuired today! Iā€™m excited for that one too! :books:

6 Likes

Yay! Same here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Now I really gotta jump in and find time to read more of it! :laughing: :+1:)

So many fun books, and all about a goddess near and dear to your heart! I hope your re-reads are just as good as they were the first time, and that you enjoy your new book too. Canā€™t wait to hear your thoughts, Siofra- happy reading! :heart::books:

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m a bit late to the party, but I felt like my current read (VenCo by Cherie Dimaline) would interest some folks here. Itā€™s a novel, so a bit different from some of the other titles listed, but I hope thatā€™s alright. From the bookā€™s blurb: [VenCo is] ā€œa wickedly subversive, deliciously imaginative, deeply feminist novel of contemporary witches on the riseā€.

Iā€™m about 70% of the way through and Iā€™m really enjoying it so far. A lot of the novels Iā€™ve read about witches and witchcraft are either too fantasy-based or donā€™t dive deep enough into the actual magic, but Iā€™ve found so far, VenCo is striking a really nice balance.

It only came out last week (Feb 14), but I was able to snag a copy from my local library. Iā€™d love to hear if anyone else here has heard of it/read it, and if notā€“hopefully itā€™s one to add to your list!

7 Likes

It absolutely is okay! :heart: Any book recommendation is a good one, in my opinion. It sounds super interesting and Iā€™m gonna add it to my TBR list! :books: Thank you!

6 Likes