An Easy Guide for Multiple Replies! 💬

Did you know that you can reply to several people in one comment? :partying_face: :speech_balloon:

One of our guidelines is to keep the forum as tidy as possible and this is a great way to achieve that!

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up.

Sometimes, when we click “Reply” to a person’s comment, we find that we want to reply to multiple people. That’s great and we highly encourage discussion and sharing. Replying to each individual person with their own comment can get a bit chaotic, though, so to help keep the forum and replies tidy and easy to read, we’ve created this simple guide to help you.

So, how do you do it? There are two different ways to do this: tagging each member you reply to or using the “Quote” capability.

Method One: Tagging Members

When you tag a member in a comment, that person will receive a notification that they’ve been tagged. Then they can see your comment and the discussion can continue! Tagging multiple people in your replies will look something like this…

What you type…

@BryWisteria - Thank you! 
@Susurrus - I'm glad you found my post helpful!
@praecog29 - Wonderfully put as always, Ben!

What it looks like…

@BryWisteria - Thank you!
@Susurrus - I’m glad you found my post helpful!
@praecog29 - Wonderfully put as always, Ben!

In doing this, you’ll end up with one forum comment but many replies. This is much easier for other members to read and interact with, too!

Method Two: Quoting

Quoting a member is also another great way to reply directly to them. This works best if you’re replying to something they said specifically. When you quote, it will look something like this…

What you type…

> Hey there, my name is Megan!

Hey @MeganB, nice to meet you!

and then when you’re done replying, it’ll look something like this!

Hey there, my name is Megan!

Hey @MeganB, nice to meet you!

Doing it this way with the tag ensures that the user you’re responding to will be notified of your reply.

There’s also another way to quote someone that’s very simple. Highlight whatever they’ve written that you’d like to quote. Once it’s highlighted, a little bar will pop up that looks like this…

When you click “Quote”, it will automatically start a reply to that specific part of the comment. Doing it this way will also show who you’re replying to as you quote them!

Thank you so much for taking the time to learn a new method that can help us keep the forum tidy and easy for others to interact with! If you have any questions about this, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a moderator and ask questions. We’re here to help!

25 Likes

Thanks for this Megan. I know to do this, but sometimes I get excited and forget. I am trying to remember to help keep things tidy.

13 Likes

Thank you for this, I learned a new way to reply, I knew about 2 of them & try to use those & usually I reply to multiple people in 1 post. I know that I have slipped in the past too, but this is a great ‘How To’. :hugs:

10 Likes

No worries! We all do it :laughing: I’ve done it before, too! I also know that some people don’t know about these functions, so it’s a great little guide to have :partying_face:

Oh really? Which one didn’t you know about?

11 Likes

I had no idea about this one! This may be my new go to :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

Ohhh lol if I do this I always try to tag the person so they get notified :laughing: otherwise it won’t notify them!

9 Likes

Good to know! I’m proficient in tagging. LOL

7 Likes

I’m gonna update it really quick to add that part :laughing:

7 Likes

A beautiful guide and a great resource to have handy, @MeganB! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together :grinning: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Absolutely! I’m happy to help :blush:

4 Likes

I just found this! Great work & great reminders too! :smiling_face:

7 Likes

This is great! Thank you for finding this! I need to look at this tomorrow once my exhaustion has passed from my weekend.

5 Likes

@Ostara, you are very welcome, but please take time to rest & reset from your busy weekend with your 3 little witches :smiling_face:

5 Likes

This should be helpful to some newer members & replying to posts/threads! :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you @MeganB , I too get excited and forget to do this. I am also almost always on my phone. When I have been in the computer it has been so much easier!

5 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose… when I am on my phone is usually when I have to do a lot of editing from my typing :laughing:

We have new members so it’s always good to bump the topics about using the forum every once in a while :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oh, @Susurrus , my typos are brutal! If I reread something I have written, I tend to cringe. Sometimes I wonder how anyone understood what I wrote down! :rofl:

7 Likes

Oh just from me… word salad is a common phrase in my house. It tends to happen a lot here when I’m on my phone too :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

You know, I’ve noticed it’s much more difficult to do when you’re on mobile :thinking: maybe there’s something in the code that can be changed. Or it’s just a user interface issue :woman_shrugging: I’m not sure!

8 Likes

Are you saying I have thick fingers, an older brain, and less patience for finicky stuff??! :joy::joy::joy: because you would be right. :wink:. I had kids, in part, to help me keep up with technology. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:.
It is what it is and I love this site how it is.
Have a great night.

7 Likes