Divination Discussion ❤ Love Life Lisa

Awesome job to everyone that participated in last week’s Divination Discussion where we focused you Welcoming November :sparkling_heart:

YAY! Thank you all for participating! (after I corrected my due date mistake :sweat_smile: )

@Susurrus pulled their cards using the New Month Spread and worksheet :thought_balloon:
@praecog29 went all in and did a modified Gaia Tree spread :evergreen_tree:
@Amethyst worked their divination muscles and practiced their interpretations :spiral_notepad:
@BryWisteria modified the New Month Spread to their liking and dazzled us with beautiful cards :sparkles:

Wonderful job everyone! The more you practice, the more comfortable you get. Doing a tarot reading once a month can help you exercise your intuition and learn more about what the month might hold for you. Feel free to save that tarot spread and worksheet or modify the spread or come up with one all for yourself!

Great job everyone!

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

Ready for the new discussion?

This is Love Life Lisa.

Image Source

She comes to you with a reading request about her relationships and future. She wants to know if the person she is currently with is her soulmate, but she’s also worried about her future love life. She’s conflicted because she is interested in more than one person and she doesn’t know who to choose, so she asks you.

:heart: Is my current partner my soulmate?
:heart: How do I move on from the other person I like?
:heart: What do I do?

In this discussion, I want you to explore your ethics and reading style. Even if you don’t read for other people, it is important to know where you stand on certain topics. Some tarot readers will not read for someone about their love life while others have no problem with it.

Do you read for Love Life Lisa? Or do you not?
Do you turn her away?
What do you tell her?

If you would read for her, pull some cards :flower_playing_cards: or consult the runes :om: and share your results.

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

New to Divination Discussion?

How does it work?

• Each week, starting on Thursday, I’ll be posting a new hypothetical divination question.
    For anyone that doesn’t have a divination method or wants to make it a little more challenging, I’ll have another option available for you.

• During the week, use whichever method you feel comfortable with to answer the question. Draw as many cards, throw as many bones, or pull as many runes as you need. Any spread you think will work is okay to use that goes with the challenge.

• Write about it here in the comments and share any pictures you may have taken!

• Discuss your interpretation and the interpretations of others and help out where you can.

• Ask questions! If you’re not sure how to interpret something, please ask. Many of us have personal experience or other sources that we can share.

What’s the purpose?

When we are learning a new method of divination or just practicing, it can be hard to get good practice without actually doing anything. Practicing this way with a hypothetical situation gives you an idea of questions that might be asked and it gives you practice in how to respond if you’re reading for someone else.

Guidelines

Anyone can participate – from new beginners to seasoned readers alike – to benefit from this discussion. To make sure we’re all on the same page, I’ve got some guidelines for everyone to follow to make this a place of safe and constructive discussion.

1. Any divination method is okay - use what you’re okay with.

2. This challenge will run from Thursday of one week to the end of day Wednesday the following week.

3. If you do not want feedback on your interpretation or reading style, please say so. The purpose of this challenge is to learn and discuss with everyone else.

4. Please use trigger warnings if your interpretation involves any mention of the following.

Trigger Warning Words (click me)
  • rape
  • abuse
  • violence
  • self-harm
  • other sensitive materials

To hide words, phrases, or content in your writing, highlight it, click the gear button up top in the formatting, and select either Hide Details or Blur Spoiler

Be sure to get your interpretations in before Wednesday, November 18th!

Remember, there aren’t necessarily wrong answers. Divination is often very personal and that’s why interpretations are fun and good practice!

Need more information on different divination methods? Check out these sources.

:crystal_ball: Cromniomancy, Capnomancy & Other Little-Known Divination Methods
:crystal_ball: How to Use Dice for Divination
:crystal_ball: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Fortelling the Future
:crystal_ball: Tasseography: Tea Leaf Divination
:crystal_ball: Fortune Telling with Regular Cards
:crystal_ball: Whole Tarot Video Course
:crystal_ball: Talk Tarot with Me at Round the Cauldron

6 Likes

When I read; I tell the Querant to shuffle the cards hand over hand, no riffle shuffle. If a card or cards fall out put them back into the deck. While shuffling; think of a question, a single question, and keep it to yourself. If I know the question I feel it may bias my thoughts.
Then I have the Querant spread the cards into a Horseshoe pattern on the table. I only use the Celtic Cross spread. Then I tell the Querant the purpose of each card in the spread as they draw them one by one. I have them run their nonpower hand over the cards and the right card will cause their finger to twitch or pull the finger to it. I tell them to trust their fingers.
When all ten cards are chosen I clear away the rest of the cards and lay each card down in the order chosen and tell the Querant what the cards say.
After the reading I put the cards back in order; major Arcana 0 to 21 then ace to king, swords, wands, cups, Pentacles.
The Querant’s energy is on the cards and putting them back in order puts my energy back into them.
My readings are usually very accurate and strike a chord with my Querants.

6 Likes

Huh. This will take some thought! Thanks for the puzzle @MeganB!

4 Likes

Ohhhhh exciting! I’ll have to put together a new spread for this one… Don’t worry Love Life Lisa, we’ll have some answers for you! :joy::+1:

Thanks for another thrilling challenge, @MeganB- can’t wait! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Very interesting way of reading, John. Can I ask why you only use the Celtic Cross spread?

Most definitely!

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

4 Likes

I realize that I completely spaced participating in my own discussions the last two times :sweat_smile: so I’ll answer these questions this week.

I’m the type of tarot reader that doesn’t necessarily like reading for people about their love life or relationships. I think for me it has to do with the fact that almost every time someone has a question about their romantic life, it usually involves getting back with an ex or trying to get someone to leave someone elses :roll_eyes: If love and relationships come up in a reading without it being the main topic, then I’ll discuss it, but if someone comes to me and says they want to know if they should get back with their ex, I’ll usually tell them that tarot isn’t going to give them the answer they’re looking for. If they have to ask for a divinatory reading, the answer is probably no.

So, how would I handle Love Life Lisa?

Instead of reading for her specific questions, I would encourage her to change the focus of her reading. Instead of trying to figure out if her current partner is her soulmate, I think she would benefit from asking what her current relationship brings to her life. I would also examine why she is attracted to two different people and why she needs an outside source.

I would probably use a tarot spread like Head Says, Heart Says from Violet Aura.

Instructions: Reversals are okay to use with this spread. For best results, have a specific matter to address rather than a general topic for this card reading.

Shuffle the card deck keeping your specific concern in mind. When you are ready, cut the deck and reassemble it, then lay out your cards according to the pattern in the image above.

Cards 1 & 2
The Head Says… – These two cards represent the logical and creative mind. Some may refer to this as left-brain & right-brain thinking. Whatever your school of thought about brain hemispheres might be, these cards reveal how the mind’s logic may be working for you or against you. The first two cards can also reflect what the mind visualizes or perceives about your matter that perhaps has not manifested into reality. What is going on up there?

Cards 3, 4 & 5
The Heart Says…
– These three cards represent authenticity of emotions, sensitivity, trust and the flexibility to be open to giving and receiving. It will be revealed through the cards that fall if following your heart will be the wisest decision. Healthy emotional intelligence reciprocates well with the environment, thus following your heart should show up as a clear statement supported by other cards.

In the end, I would encourage Love Life Lisa to examine her own motives, desires, and needs instead of looking outside for gratification.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about this and thought about this and I’m afraid for myself, Love Life Lisa will need to talk to Dr. Phil rather than my cards. I’m afraid I’m not one for soulmates, and even if one was her soulmate, then wouldn’t it stand to figure she wouldn’t be attracted to the other?

Plus there’s the fact that if her relationship doesn’t work out, no matter who she chose, there’s a chance she could come back and blame me for her bad decision. I guess it would depend on how well you know Lisa, but yeah, I wouldn’t chance it. That’s just my two cents worth.

What would I tell her? That the cards don’t so much tell our future but what’s in our subconscious. Now if she just wanted a reading on what areas of herself she needed to work on, she could have a reading. But I’m not doing a reading for her to pick which guy she’s going to date.

4 Likes

I agree that she needs dr phil :joy: I agree with you that she may blame it on you if her life isn’t happy. I’ve heard so many stories about that happening. I was still thinking about doing this for fun anyway.

4 Likes

I doubt I’d get a good reading for her considering how many doubts I have about her question, but that’s just me. Love Life Lisa has more problems that I’m able to handle. LOL.

3 Likes

You bring up some great points here, Kasie. There is obviously a contradiction between her feelings and the concept of soulmates. This would prove to be difficult to navigate for anyone who believes in soulmates or twin flames, and she could just be looking for a scapegoat for her decisions.

That brings me to your second point. You’re absolutely right in saying that no matter her decision, she could end up screwing everything up for herself and then come back to blame you. No one wants that on their shoulders and, even in my readings that aren’t about love, I always make sure to tell people that tarot does not predict the future and whatever appears to come is not set in stone. Plus I have a disclaimer that says I’m not liable for anyone else’s decisions so…hopefully that deters people, too :woman_shrugging:

I like that you said she could have a reading on what she needs to work on for herself. That’s exactly the same direction that I headed, too.

Do it! I’ll probably do it, too :rofl:

This is what’s so great about this, though. Humans are complex creatures and sometimes you might have someone come to you for a reading (if you do those for others) and the situation turns out to be way more complex than you anticipated.

2 Likes

That’s why I would hesitate to read for anyone other than myself and close friends. I get too paranoid about the local villagers coming at me with pitchforks and torches. LOL.

3 Likes

I’ve found Tarot an excellent tool for soul searching and finding out what I really want, but it comes with a big caveat, you don’t want to take the first interpretation and run with it… I have a bad feeling that’s exactly what Love Life Lisa would do and come back to blame me when it didn’t work, I would tell her that (sans the blame part maybe) and to please convince me otherwise… if not I would wish her all the best and tell her that she has a good heart and that she would do well to follow it wherever it may lead her :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

:rofl: I think that’s a rare occurence, although it could happen!

That’s a beautiful sentiment, and I agree. There is definitely a way of telling someone to buzz off, but politely :laughing:

3 Likes

This is exactly what I did when my last ex and I broke up. :upside_down_face: Thankfully, the person reading for me helped me figure out better questions to be asking for my future instead of my past. I learned a lot from that experience in how to handle people asking similar questions and I think that was the best thing she could do since it cost me $25.

Because I want to get to a place where I can both charge a small fee for readings and break even on my candle magic, I will eventually have to do these things for people I don’t know. Possibly a general reading on her current love energy would be alright to do? If I did it, I would remind her that tarot readings are based on the current energy and we still have “free will” to change things for bad or good.

For me, tarot readings are another way to help people make the decisions they already know they need to make or to find the peace they already possess within themselves. If I could do a general reading and leave it for her to decide what that reading means, I would feel better for helping her while also not “tricking” her or over-promising results.

A lot of rambling and no actual tarot reading. Sorry. It’s a lot to consider, especially as I am contemplating these things as a possible side job to support my love of the craft. (It’s expensive buying candles, altar supplies, new tarot decks, books, etc. :sweat_smile: I don’t need to get rich, but I also want to avoid going broke trying to keep up with my passion.)

I love that we are discussing all of this and I enjoy reading the other responses as we wrestle with this topic.

3 Likes

After reading everyone’s very thoughtful comments and agreeing wholeheartedly that the answers Lisa is asking for are probably not the answers she really needs… I decided to play Devil’s Advocate and go ahead and read for her original questions anyways :crazy_face:

I tried to imagine myself in a position where Love Life Lisa is a close friend or trusted client- she is really looking for help and believes in the cards. As someone with some extremely loved but extremely stubborn people in my life and many years of customer service- I know that some people will only listen when they think they are getting their way.

So I’ve decided to do the age-old “customer service approach”- I will read for the questions Lisa asks for, but I will use them to indirectly address where I think she actually needs to focus :face_with_monocle:

Ended up going with the good ol’ 3 card spread after all- can’t go wrong with the 3-card draw :laughing:

Q. 1: Is my current partner my soulmater?
Card: VIII of Wands – Speed, swiftness

I would tell Lisa, whoa girl- you’re moving too fast here! You’re in this relationship but you’re already having doubts. If it doesn’t feel right, you need to take the time to slow down and take a deep look at where you are, what you want, and where you want to be in the future. Now is not the time to rush headfirst into making or breaking relationships.

Q. 2: How do I move on from the other person I like?
Card: III of Pentacles – Teamwork and collaboration, new projects

If you have decided that it is not meant to be with this other person- you don’t have to fight this decision alone. Become more involved with your current partner, seek out the support of your friends and family, use your skills to begin new projects and take your mind off of this other person. You’ve made up your mind- stick with that decision and put it aside. You have a new path forward and you don’t have to go on it alone.

Q. 3: What do I do?
Card: The World – Completion, travel

While The World is the final Arcana card and often symbolizes the end of a journey, it has always carried the personal meaning of endless possibility and travel for me.

I would tell Lisa that it is clear she has a lot of conflicting emotions pulling at her now. She has choices and I have given her advice, but her future now rests in her own hands. Before she should consider binding her life to that of another- especially when she is not certain about any of her choices- she should take the time to explore the world. Go travel, backpack, meet new people and try new foods- she will not only learn about the world but also about who she is as a person. The truth and answers she really needs are out there- but she must put in the time and effort to find them.

Good luck Love Life Lisa! :laughing: Well done to everyone who has shared their thoughts and readings- it was a pleasure to hear your opinions and advice.

And a big thanks for @MeganB for such a fun and thought-provoking challenge! :grin::two_hearts:

4 Likes

This sounds like a great middle ground. I think changing the reading for her would definitely be the right way to go. I like how you thought of reading her current love energy. For me, I think this would help her figure out what she needs to do without you as the reader getting too involved in her personal life. And yes…

It’s a lot to consider, especially as I am contemplating these things as a possible side job to support my love of the craft.

It is good to think about questions like this! Even questions that you might not think you had. For example, I did an entire podcast episode/YouTube video about ethics in tarot that was inspired by a discussion in my Discord server. Someone had posted a theoretical question from a tarot group they’re in on Facebook where the reader told the fake person they were reading for that their son was gay and wasn’t ready to tell him :thinking: I didn’t think anyone would actually ever do that, so it was a good discussion on the ethics and moral standards we hold ourselves to as readers.

This was a good reading! And I love that you went the customer service approach :rofl: You’re right, sometimes people will never be happy until they think they’re getting their way (like that time they said the hot chocolate wasn’t hot and wanted a new one…so they got the same hot chocolate in a different cup and then said it was perfect – yes, true story when I worked as a hostess)

Anyway, I like your interpretation of The World. I often feel that it is connected to the end of a cycle, but also with getting out there and traveling. Thanks for playing Devil’s Advocate :smiling_imp: and giving us a great reading!

5 Likes

I added the podcast to my plans today. Thank you!

3 Likes

Aww thank you! Let me know how you like it!

2 Likes

I don’t think that I could read for Lisa after thinking about this, I think she knows what she wants and she is looking for an answer that she already has. Especially if she already has someone that she thinks may be her soulmate, that wouldn’t hold true if another person even entertained any of her energy.

5 Likes

Ohh goodness. Gotta love customer service- you’ll never run out of conversation topics :joy:

Glad you enjoyed the reading- thanks so much for your feedback and the challenge! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes