Ogham preoccupation.... I mean, project! :)

When I find something that speaks to me and interests me I can get very excited about it. My first inclination is LETS BUY STUFF!!! but I counter that pretty successfully by deciding to make the item myself or my own version of it. Saves money (sometime :wink: ) and fulfills a creative need.

After enjoying using my basic popsicle stick Ogham staves that I made for the Multilingual Challenge, and then used for the Divining Differently Challenge, I decided Iā€™d make my own set. I started off by going out and gathering fallen sticks from my backyard.

but then I started actually looking around at the trees in my yard. I went to school in Montana and learned and knew all the trees and shrubs but I hadnā€™t bothered to learn any of the ones in North Carolina since I moved here over a decade ago.

So I realized I have some of the trees that correspond to some of the lettersā€¦ and that was that. My enthusiasm led me to walk around my neighborhood as well as at work (I am a zookeeper) and realize I have access to an amazing variety of woods. While I wonā€™t be able to match wood for wood, I absolutely can make a set of 25 staves from 25 different kinds of trees/shrubs.

Yep, I have caught the creative bug :laughing: but hope yā€™all can appreciate it!

8 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to do this, but with Elder Futhark Runes! I canā€™t wait to see how they turn out. :heart:

7 Likes

I am so excited to see the journey and finished product, this is fascinating!!! @Artemisia :white_heart::deciduous_tree:

6 Likes

Oh wow, this looks to be an awesome project! And youā€™re so well organized! LOL!

6 Likes

Great job @Artemisia! I am learning the Ogham, I havenā€™t gotten to the point of using or making staves yet though. I do have a sort of Ogham journal where I write what Iā€™ve learned about each one in it with the correspondences, history, letters, divinatory meanings, etcā€¦

We have this post: - Irish Tree Language - The Ogham :evergreen_tree:

@MeganB has done some posts on learning the Ogham too!

I am very interested in the outcome & how lucky that you will be able to make them each with a different or corresponding wood/plant! I canā€™t wait to see how they turn out!

@Melora_Fae I work with the Elder Futhark & would love to make my own set of those too :laughing: I have a bunch of oak in my backyard from a storm that brought down a bough of one of our oak trees in the backyard. I have since claimed that tree as mine because a large portion of the tree fell, so it is still standing & has weathered the storm, but the parts that need to be let go fell off the tree. (Alright, so that portion of the tree was in our neighborā€™s backyard & ours, but itā€™s our tree so we removed it from their yard after the storm passed & now I have the branches & bough in my backyard) I actually collected a lot of information about them: Runes Information

My husband is going to cut discs up from one of the branches, but I may be able to get him & my son to make me 25 ā€œsticksā€ if I tell them how long the discs are. I have a woodburning tool downstairs with my other DIY crafting things. When the time comes I will post my progress with both!

I look forward to seeing how they turn out @Artemisia!

7 Likes

Oh my goddness, @Artemisia :partying_face: :tada: Thatā€™s so amazing! I love that youā€™ve taken one challenge and just ran with it over the course of several weeks. Ogham is such an amazing language and divination tool. I hope to one day make my own staves from different trees just like this!

@Susurrus ā€“ You reminded me that I have so many more letters to work on and make posts for :laughing: hereā€™s to hoping I find that energy soon!

5 Likes

Lolā€¦ sorryā€¦ no pressure! I was just thinking that she may be as interested in the information as I am :laughing: I have a journal that is all about the Ogham & things I learn & find out about them. I just had it printed at the UPS Store into a coil-bound workbook type of book.

I agree @Artemisia is doing wonderfully! :star_struck:

5 Likes

@Artemisia
Iā€™m looking forward to seeing your finished project. You are so creative, Iā€™m sure they will be awesome!
Love :heart: always

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.