💡 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Light Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Candle Divination :purple_spell_candle:

After seeking messages and wisdom in our candles last week, we’re keeping things going bright- in celebration of the solstice and the holiday season, it’s time for some magickal light! :sparkles:

The theme for this week’s challenge is solstice-inspired and is…

Light Magick Witch Challenge

:sun_with_face: :candle: Light Magick :star2: :full_moon:

Working with light in the Craft

Solstice blessings! The solstice and Sabbats (Yule and Litha this week, but all eight of the Neopagan holidays on the Wheel of the Year) mark the passage of the seasons and the sun. They are all celebrations of light- both light visible to the eye and energetic light that we channel in magick :sparkles:

Light comes in many mediums in our lives- from physical entities such as the sun, moon, stars, and element fire, to the energy of light and positivity. All play a key role in many magickal practices, traditions, and spells.

Whatever light means to you and however you like to honor it in your life and your practice, give some love to light this week! :christmas_tree: :sun:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about light magick - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Canva

STEP 1 : Working with Light :bulb:

This challenge is all about the magick of light - but as always, how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Light of the Moon :full_moon:

How-to-Make-Moon-Water-Magick-360x240
How to Make Moon Water (for Each Moon Phase)

Create-a-Moon-Altar-360x240
Creating a Moon Altar & Offerings to the Moonlight

Moon-Magick-360x240
Moon Magick: Working with the Moon Cycles

Light of the Sun :sun_with_face:

Sun-Magick-360x240
Solar Magick: How to Make and Use Sun Water

Winter-Solstice-Wiccan-Spell-800x530
Light of Renewal: Winter Solstice Solar Spell for Rebirth

For additional ideas about sun magick, consider viewing the Coven’s entries to the previous Solar Magick Challenge :sun_with_face:

Light of the Stars & Planets :star:

Zodiac-Magic-Witchy
Adding the Zodiac to Your Magick

Guided-Zodiac-Meditations-360x240
Guided Zodiac Meditations

For additional resources about the stars and planets, consider visiting the Astrology Masterpost :ringer_planet: and previous Star Magick Challenge :star:

Light of Flame :fire:

Fire-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-Prayer-360x240
Fire Element Magick & Fire Invocation

Candle-Magic-Spells-750x500
Candle Magick & Candle Spell Collection

White-Candle-Spells-360x240
White Candle Spells: Light, Cleansing, Universal Magick

For additional fire and flame ideas, consider reading the entries shared by the Coven in the previous :fire_element: Of the Element Fire Challenge and :candle: Candle Magick: Light 'Em Up Challenge

Light as Energy :heart_hands:

For some, using light in magick also encompasses the energy of light. Depending on tradition and beliefs, the energy of light may be associated with healing, purity, cleansing, blessings, etc.

House-Spirit-Karma-Cleansing-Spell-360x240
Pure Light: House and Spirit Cleansing Spell

Sending-Healing-Energy-360x240
Sending Healing Energy to Someone in Need

Sacred-Blessings-Prayer-Spell-360x240
Sacred Blessings Prayer Spell

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore light magick in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Picture from Canva

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, December 26 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2023-12-26T12:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Canva

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Canva

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Light of the sun, the stars and the moon
Each is a blessing, a magickal boon!
For light from afar or light from inside-
Will help on your path, to protect and to guide.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be and Happy Solstice! :bulb: :sparkles:

21 Likes

Easy peasy, got mine all figured out, and will collect my supplies while I’m out on my run. It’s finally warmed up to 37F so I’m going while it’s still this warm! :running_woman:

16 Likes

Hmm…I have 2 great ideas. Now, do I take the easy way out or do I keep with the challenging myself thing? :thinking: :laughing:

16 Likes

Ooh, interesting! I’m definitely going to have to do something moon-related. :star_struck: :black_heart:

Maybe at the start of next week, so it’s closer to the full moon. :thinking: Because I’m ahead in timezones, I get through a full Tuesday here before the challenge closes.

15 Likes

Challenge Entry - Light Magick
I saw my choice right away for this challenge.

I don’t think I have really ever celebrated Yule any of the years I’ve practiced magick. Months that used to be the highlight of my year as a child, are now the most stressful as an adult. November and December are often a struggle with family drama, guilt, and stress. But somehow this year, I’ve been focused on Yule. I think partly it’s because I joined a FB group that has had amazing photos of Yule crafts, decorating, gifts, and food and I’ve been inspired. I’ve made two wreaths from foraged evergreens, handmade bath salts and soaks as gifts, dehydrated limes, oranges, and mandarins for tea and to use as decorations, and made several witchballs with foraged items… well you get the idea. This yule I’m inspired and excited even if I’m the only one who is in the household. :laughing:

I knew what I wanted to do when I saw

(source)
I needed to go out for a run anyway and it would be the perfect time to forage for holly and evergreens (I chose Eastern Redwood).

I had to shoo off Kermit before lighting the candle and to keep him away from the Holly berries! :skull_and_crossbones: :fire: He’s never far away when I’m working on something. Mostly he just wants to sit somewhere where he can watch me work.

:evergreen_tree:
It was a lovely spell and perfect for today.

:candle: :ribbon: :star2:
Excited about tomorrow and the tea ritual! :teapot:

19 Likes

@Nixi Challenge yourself! :blush:
@Artemisia very lovely :heart_eyes: :heart:

15 Likes

HYAH!

[Source]

16 Likes

Oh my…that looks a lot like me! :face_with_spiral_eyes::laughing::rofl::crazy_face:

15 Likes

@Artemisia what a beautiful festive setup! Love the cute little meow meow bonus. Love curious kitties :laughing:

15 Likes

Whatever you choose, I believe in you Nixi! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (Now go out there and challenge yourself- you got this!!! :joy: :two_hearts: )

You do get a bonus Tuesday at the end, but I believe it comes at the cost of the Wednesday when the challenge was posted!

Oh time zones and their tricky magick :laughing: :mantelpiece_clock: :cyclone:

Moon magick sounds awesome- have fun with it! :full_moon_with_face: :heart:

Your excitement is tangible, Artemisia :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m so happy you’re embracing the season and enjoying it in a way that is meaningful and special to you! This is absolutely gorgeous, too- look at all of your beautiful greenery. I think collecting it yourself by hand adds an additional special touch :green_heart: :blush:

I think Kermit wanted to join your spellwork too! He’s a magickal kitty :sparkles: :smiley_cat:

Beautiful work, Artemisia- wishing you a very blessed solstice, full of light and love! :candle: :sparkling_heart:

15 Likes

Ooo… I like this one & have a few ideas for it! :thinking: Going to have to figure this one out on how I want to do it :face_with_monocle:

@Nixi… I say challenge yourself a little bit, may add a little something to your ‘easy way’ to make it a bit different & a bit of a challenge for you :hugs:

@Artemisia, I loved :heart: reading your initial reply and then seeing your Entry; that was amazing, too! Great job! :revolving_hearts:

I’m going to see how I want to do this, maybe kind of a combination of a couple :star_struck:

14 Likes

Thank you! You know me, always happy if I can make something and it includes nature! :laughing:
I think I’ve found a curious magickal partner in Kermit.

Or at least one who likes cookies as much as I do :laughing: No cookies were harmed by kittens. Just by me. :smiley:

Years that I go without creating or making things are never as fulfilling as the ones in which I do. Plus, if I can save money by making it from something I already have or can easily forage? I’m doubly delighted.

Thank you! I was a little excited about this challenge :laughing: Never a bad day when I come home from a run with flowers, berries, leaves, rocks, or seeds! :laughing: My running friends stop asking about it and just laugh.

17 Likes

Yes I do!. I wish I had more foraging type items near me. I’m not very good at identifying trees and plants I haven’t grown myself. Seems like you have a goldmine on your running trail :grin: It’s always nice to have the company of a magickal companion especially a curious one. :wink:

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I used the solstice as an opportunity to welcome new energy, vituality and intentions into my life next year.

I invoked the Sun God Ra (as well as my usual deities) for their assistance. I offered them orange segments to represent the returning Sun.

On parchement I wrote:
My intentions for the year ahead
My hopes for next year
A blessing for my brother.

I rolled up the parchment and placed it in a jar. To the jar, I also added:
Himalayan Salt - for purification and cleansing
Cloves - for protection and prosperity
Star Anise - for spiritiual growth and guidance
Cinnamon stick - for abundance and luck
Rosemary - for clarity and remembrance
Orange Slices - for joy, positivity and inspiration

I also wrote the hieroglyphic name of Ra on a wooden disc and placed it it along with a sunstone to ensure his illumination, vitality and power charges my intentions.

I tied the jar closed with twine and placed 2 white candles on the top, one with the sun’s symbol and one with Ra’s hieroglyph carved on them. I lit the candle and allowed them to burn and melt down, sealing jar.

I ended by consuming part of the orange offering. This was always done in ancient Egypt as a means of establishing connection with the gods.

The jar is now on my altar, watched over by the statues of my deities.

Blessed be

Alan

17 Likes

That’s beautiful :heart_eyes: happy holidays

Blessed be :sparkling_heart:

15 Likes

There’s something so satisfying about sealing a jar with wax, plus it looks gorgeous! Great job!

15 Likes

Challenge Entry

I rarely hear about this anymore. Maybe I’m not running in the right circles. When I was young, we had to learn a mnemonic: Oh Be A Fine Girl (Guy), Kiss Me.

https://www.schoolsobservatory.org/learn/astro/stars/class

Only stars in the middle range can harbor life, they said. M class stars are too cool, even though they live a long time. O is way too hot and short lived to support life.

As Starchildren, our after life was to become a star. The best was to support life on a planet of our own. Mid grade stars are the ones which, in their dying, spew pieces of themselves into space to become the gas and dust which creates the next generation of stars and planets.

Miserly people became small stars which would last a long time, but never supported others. As a red star dies, it fades away, becoming a ball of super compressed carbon- effectively a “diamond in the sky.”

Those who stole the energy of others for their own use became giants, but they were short lived and the next life didn’t support Universal growth, either: instead, their mass and energy was sucked up inside of them and they became black holes.

In our belief system, the stars were our ancestors. Their voices could be heard and translated into messages.

We are beings of light. As such, it is our responsibility to learn how to use our light to support ourselves and others. The Starchild Way was a set of guidelines to use our light in the best possible way.

16 Likes

Challenge Entry

The holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year, but for some, it can be dark, full of grief and loneliness. For this challenge, I decided to light a golden candle and say a prayer for everyone who is struggling this holiday season. It’s okay to not be okay, and say no to any holiday festivities.

16 Likes

Weekly Challenge Entry

On this stormy winter day, I decided to do a special ritual. (I’m glad I picked the marigolds and lemongrass when I did because the rain is coming down sideways right now.)

Welcome back the Sun

Gold candle -Represents the Sun. Associated with light, positive energy, divine protection

Lemon grass - Represents the Sun. Cleanses the spirit and focuses the mind

Marigolds - Represents the Sun. Happiness

Citrine - Represents the Sun. Overcoming depression and raises self esteem

Affirmations

• I find strength even on the darkest nights
  • I let go of what no longer serves me
  • I am a source of light and warmth in the world
  • No amount of darkness can dim my light
  • I release any burdens or negativity
  • The energy of new beginnings is flowing in my body

(The affirmations came from Our Mindful Life.com)

It looks like a little Sun

15 Likes

Challenge Entry: :zap: Light Magick :zap:

Forgive me if I do this wrong, it’s my first entry!

I chose to use :astrology_moon: Moon Water :astrology_moon: that I had previously gathered during the waxing crescent phase which is a time for growth. I let the water soak in the moon’s rays for a couple of hours that evening.

Then later that week, I used the :astrology_moon: moon water for two things.

1. A spell to help with abundance, and I sprinkled a little moon water in my wallet on my credit/debit cards. Find it here: ▶️ A Moon Water Recipe for Every Phase: Boost Your Magic Powers – Spells8

2. To support in casting my circle for protection. I added a little moon water with sea salt to a bowl and walked the circle with the bowl and dripped a little moon water around the circle.

Both I think were successful in their own way. As I am very new, it was my first time gathering moon water, so I can’t tell if waxing crescent phase moon water worked best in this case or not, compared to no moon water. Hard to tell!

What I will say, is that I was having some pretty rough financial struggles the days and week before I did the quick abundance :moneybag: blessing with moon water on my wallet and cards. And that eased pretty well after it. So that alone was a great benefit. I do think I will try another phase of moon water again as I understand full moon water may be the most powerful, so I plan on gathering that on Tuesday.

Thanks for posting these challenges to try something new. :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes