đŸȘ” Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Light 'Em Up!

Merry meet!

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Chaos Magick :tornado:

After handling an area of magick that is both thrilling and confounding, it’s time to exit the chaos and regain peace. Take a deep breath, clear your mind and light up the light of hope :candle:

This week’s challenge is inspired by the Waxing Moon above and involves the steady glow and guidance of one of the most beloved areas of the Craft

Witch Challenge Candle Flame Magick

:candle::rainbow: Candle Magick: Light 'Em Up! :diya_lamp: :fire:

As one of the most common ingredients in any witches’ toolkit, candles are a cornerstone of magickal practices. Incorporating candles can open doors to many types of spellwork and can serve a vast amount of purposes when working magick!

Vital in rituals, powerful spell enhancers, tools for divination, cleansers, and even mood setters- mastering the art of candle magick leads to countless possibilities.

Although there has been a past candle magick challenge, this is such a popular and keystone area of magick that I feel we are overdue for another challenge on this theme! :blush: As always, the new challenge will offer a brand new badge for all entrants to add to their collections :trophy:

This week is all about using candles in your magickal practice - but how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Magick With Candles :candles:

For this challenge, you are encouraged to explore using candles in your magick- there are many ways you can go about it!

Not sure where to begin?

To help you get started, the following list has a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge! :sparkles:

:open_book: Study up on candle magick

New to candle magick? The best place to get started (or have a thorough review) is by visiting the complete candle magick guide:

Candle Magick 101 Guide
Candle-Magic-Spells-750x500

:rainbow: Explore Candle Color Magick

Did you know that the color of your candle can add an extra layer of magickal properties to your spellwork? Learn more and explore the various meanings of candle colors in the guide:

Candle Color Guide
Candle-Spells-Color-Chart

:bubbles: Cleanse and dress your candles

For those who use candles a lot, consider going the extra step in pre-spellwork preparations. You might dress your candle or consider cleansing it before putting it to use:

How to Dress Your Candle
How-to-Dress-a-Candle

How to Cleanse Your Candle: 3 Methods
How-to-Cleanse-a-Candle-Witchcraft-360x240

:person_in_lotus_position: Do a candle meditation

Watching the flames flicker can help to ground and relax an uneasy mind. If you’re new to candle meditations, consider watching along with a guided meditation.

Guided Candle Meditation Collection
Guided-Candle-Meditations-750x500

:crystal_ball: Divining with candle flame

Did you know that candles can be used for Divination? Explore candle divination this week and give reading the flames a try for yourself! :fire:

How to Read Candle Flames, Meanings & Interpretations
How-to-Read-Candle-Flames-360x240

:magic_wand: Cast a candle spell

As one of the most common elements of spellwork, there are many spells involving candles out there for you to explore this week. Consider casting one of these suggestions, or perhaps write your own candle spell!

Anxiety Be Gone: Purple Candle Spell
A-Quick-Spell-to_-Banish-Anxiety-Boost-Confidence-1-360x240

Candle Protection Spell
Protection-Candle-Spell-thumb

Candle Magick to Attract Love Spell
Wiccan-Magic-Love-Spell-2-1-800x530

White Candle Spell Collection
White-Candle-Spells-360x240

→ For more candle spells, check out All Candle Spells on Spells8 and the Candle Tag in the forum!

:raised_hands: 
And more!

Feel free to light up your creativity as you explore candle magick this week- you are welcome to pursue this theme in a way that best resonates with your personal practice.

But no matter how you choose to explore, please remember your Fire Safety! :warning: :fire:

Fire is both a beautiful and dangerous element of magick- when working with candles, be sure to follow the Candle Safety Guidelines.

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience .

To participate in the challenge, please share:

1. About your experience learning about/using candles in your magickal practice this week

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, April 12th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-04-12T05:00:00Z )

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

Dancing and flickering as if having fun,
Your candle flame is your very own sun.

With a gentle glow, it enhances the night,
Upon your altar it shares its soft light.

In a chandelier or in a simple cup,
Your candle magick is brilliant- so light 'em up!

Blessed be and happy candle magick! :diya_lamp: :sparkles:

22 Likes

Did you write this? @BryWisteria
It’s great! I love it!

19 Likes

I love this one! If I can’t handle this challenge then I need to hang my witch hat up. Lol!

14 Likes

I am in love with these words o much, I puts a smile on my face :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I enjoy working with candles and I know it has been a while but this challenge sounds like one I must have a part of lol

to all my fellow witches i wish you the best on this challenge and just cant wait to see your beautiful entries. What are we waiting for lets light em up

Blessed Be :dizzy:

15 Likes

I know exactly what you mean :dizzy:

13 Likes

Ooh,this will be a challenge. Where I live I can’t use candles :grimacing: I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

14 Likes

@NickWick! It’s nice to see you! & I agree with you about the words by @BryWisteria :two_hearts:

@jem1 no worries you have other options, there are battery-operated candles, electric candles (they use a bulb), birthday candles (oh, wait you can’t use candles), & you could use an image or gif/meme of a candle :candle: For the purposes of challenges, you can use what you have on hand & kind of make it your own :sparkles: You could also learn about an aspect of candle magic & share what you learned with us. You will come up with something great! :dizzy:

I love to use candles :candle: of all kinds so this will most likely be something I put way too much thought into :joy: Aside from with deity work, I also use them during meditations :woman_in_lotus_position: & spells for different things/properties. I love the daily devotional when I am just looking for a general theme of the day & I use those color correspondences also. I have also anointed & dressed :herb: candles for spells, so maybe I could do something special for myself :heartpulse: using a combination of what I already know!

Well, that’s a peek inside how my brain :brain: works sometimes :rofl: I will come up with something & I’m pretty excited for this challenge. :star_struck:

16 Likes

I was looking through my list of draconic deities and Gneicht (pronounced ‘night’) came to mind. He is the Ruler of the Night, god of doorways (opening and closing them) and crossroads. Sounds a bit like a draconic male Hecate! :hushed:
I learned that some of my ex-coworkers are going on strike soon. I’m thinking of a spell to protect them during the strike and for them and their employer to reach a compromise.

15 Likes

Thank you hun :kissing_heart: I missed you guys so much

it all sounds good to me :joy: :joy: I am kinda excited myself.

13 Likes

I think I will do the jar spell I wrote for me and my husband since the moon is now waxing :waxing_crescent_moon: Candles are a part of it so I think it will count for this challenge :candle:
I’m excited to do this spell because he is working out of town and I miss him very much :love_letter: Hopefully he will have work at home soon :crossed_fingers:
:candle: :hearts:

14 Likes

Oakey dokey artichokey for this week’s Challenge entry I admit I was tempted to be lazy and just go straight to one of my books ‘Wicca Candle Magic: A Beginner’s Guide to Spellcraft’ by Lisa Chamberlain.

But perusing the pages I just couldn’t find anything that sparked a flame (ha see what I did there - boom boom) So I decided to have a look almost really for the first time one of my other books ‘Daily Spellbook for the Good Witch: Quick Simple and Practical Magic for Every Day of the Year’ by Patti Wigington.

Anywho-la la I found this spell for today’s date here in Perth 7th April so Thursday: - I know kinda spooky right. There’s the universe clearly saying “Here. This. This is what you need to do today.”

‘Spell to Move on From Your Past’

You’ll need:

• A black candle
  • A blue candle
  • A white candle

We’ve all done things that have impacted us in a negative way, and sometimes it’s hard to move on from those choices. If your past is preventing you form being happy in the present, do this spell to clear your way. Try to do this working at sunrise.

Light the black candle and say “I send away my pain, I send away my guilt, and I send away that which has damaged me. It has no power over me, and I send away my past.”

Next, light the blue candle. Say “I am healed, I am strong, I am worthy. My past is gone, and I permit myself to live in the present.”

Light the white candle, saying “My soul is pure, my soul is fresh, my soul is cleansed. Every day is a new day, and the future is bright.”

Extinguish the candles, and know that your past can no longer hold you back.

I was up early and at work early in the am this morning so I missed the sunrise. So I am going to focus on the try within the spell’s instructions and offer my apologies to the universe for being backwards in coming forwards but hoping that sunset tonight after work would be just as acceptable.

Maybe that could be a good analogy for the sun setting on my past with it rising again tomorrow for a fresh start and a new life ( I dunno why but in my head I was quoting Scar from ‘The Lion King’ as I typed - “we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era”)

Image Source: Pinterest Credit: The Mind’s Journal

Side note - hands down my most favourite Disney movie ever. That was one of my Dad’s favourite Disney movies too. I have fond memories watching that ‘video’ with him just before he died. I remember he used to love the part where Rafiki whooped some Hyena tooshie with king fu moves and Pumbaa’s war cry “They call me Mr. Pig!” I’m sure it’s in reference to something as a grown up jokes as all Disney seem movies do. He used to roar with laughter at those scenes.

17 Likes

@Christina4 Aww thank you, Christina- I did! I have fun whipping up a little poem chant or blessing for each challenge :laughing: I’m really happy you like it! :heart:

@Ostara Hooray- I’m glad you like the theme, Ostara! Have fun with it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@NickWick If my little chant made you smile then I consider it a big success- thank you, Nicki! :heart::blush: I’m glad the theme calls to you and I look forward to seeing your lovely candle magick- have fun with it! :candle:

@Jem1 Siofra shared some fantastic alternatives for working candle magick when candles aren’t possible- all candle alternatives are totally fine for this challenge, so feel free to experiment with what works for you, Jem! :grinning:

@Susurrus Thank you, Siofra! :two_hearts: And thanks for sharing the alternatives too- that’s really helpful to have such a great list here for folks who can’t use traditional fire candles! :+1: As always, looking forward to reading your challenge entry! :blush:

@Kasandra When you put it like that, Gneicht really does sound like a draconic male face of Hekate- how neat! :dragon_face: :old_key: :astrology_moon: Wishing all the best to your ex-coworkers on their strike. It is kind of you to bless the strike with your magickal support and protection!

@Sarafeena_Sage That sounds like a lovely spell to work for the challenge, Sarall :sparkles::jar: Sorry that he is away for the moment- I hope your husband is able to work from home again soon!

@Jessica72 Bonus points to you for candle puns and Lion King references (also one of my fave movies- quality right there :lion: :heart:)! That is interesting that today’s recommended spell was exactly what you were searching for- meant to be, I’d say! :grin: And wow, looking at the spell itself and how you’ve timed it with the setting and rising sun- it’s amazing how everything clicked right into place with this one, Jessica- it really was a spell meant for you! :sparkles: Great work!

16 Likes

There they are my little candle pretties. Each flame was eerily calm. Stood straight to attention. Not a flicker to be seen. :candle:

Ha another Disney-esque quote comes to mind there. Elsa “not a footprint to be seen” from that song. Oh geez :rofl: what is with me today? Even Disney is telling me to “let it gooooo”. :snowflake:

I’m sorry but that’s just hilarious. Oh my I made myself laugh tonight.

And then this was approximately 30 or so minutes later. Interesting how the black candle has nearly put it’self out. I was just sitting and watching them as they burned. I wonder if that means anything.

And BOOM extinguished it’self.

I decided to pour the wax in a little water to see if I could see anything interesting. As I’ve never had a tealight do that to me before. Ol’ faithfuls that they are.

I got a black heart. :black_heart: aw. Wait does that mean I’m becoming black hearted? Or is that saying my heart is healing and moving on? A conundrum to ponder :thinking:

This was the spell.

And credit to the book that it came from. :open_book:

Apologies for going ahead and quoting myself and Disney. Again. And also for the stray :black_cat: and :dog2: hairs on the altar cloth. :paw_prints: I like to think it as fur baby glitter. :sparkles:

22 Likes

I am reading a book called “Candle Magick for Beginners : Spells for Prosperity, Love, Abundance and More”. It’s free on Kindle Unlimited. I have never heard of cleansing a candle before. I just assumed you didn’t have to. I learn something new everyday!

14 Likes

Let it goooo, let it gooo! :snowflake: :notes:

Well, now that’s gonna be stuck in my head all day :joy::+1:

Interesting- usually when one candle does something different to the others, I’d check for differences in materials/ingredients/shape/etc that could explain the different behaviors. But from the picture, it looks like your black candle and blue candle are very similiar- do you know if they have different ingredients/materials, or are they identical in all but color? :thinking:

If so, and if you feel that there is a deeper message to explore here, I’d recommend looking at this candle’s purpose in the spell:

Looks like the black candle is directly related to pain, guilt, and holding on to past hurts.

As always, the reading of the caster will always hold the most weight in my opinion- but if I was the one reading this, I would interpret it to mean that healing is going well (the blue candle), the soul in question is pure and cleansed (the white candle), and yet they are still struggling with/unable to let go entirely of past pain and guilt (the black candle) related to the heart (black candle wax).

A heart heals much slower than the body and even the mind- it looks like pain and guilt may be lingering, but the positive note is that you are healing, it’s just a work in progress. A long road, yes, but a journey towards a positive end none-the-less :railway_track: :heart:

Just my thoughts on the table here- forgive me for rambling, this was really interesting and I got sucked into your exciting spellwork, Jessica! :pray: As always, trust your instincts and go with your gut when it comes to reading your spellwork- you are closest to the answers and will know best :heart::blush:

Gosh I love this so much! :joy_cat: :+1: :sparkles:

Thanks for the book recommendation, Ostara! :blush: When it comes to cleansing, I’m trying but I can’t think of anything that can’t be cleansed- we witches sure love cleansing things! :mage: :laughing: :sparkles:

Enjoy the book- I hope it’s a great read for you! :heart::open_book:

15 Likes

Really fun reading your post on candle magic. Many smiles to start my day. That’s powerful magic 
 making people smile. Thank you so much. :grin:

17 Likes

I use candles a lot I have a dedicated lunar candle for lunar meditations and I have candles for each deity. I used to just swap out for who ever was on that given day but today I have both Brigid and Freya candles on my altar. I recently started working on adding appropriate colours to the deity candles based on the colour that corresponded to that deity using other candles. For example Brigid has a bronze candle holder but her candle is white so ice been burning a red tealight in the candle to add that colour and energy to candle when I make my own deity candles from scratch I’m going to make them with the colour and scent relevant but when I started I was needing to use what candles I had that was as close to connected to that deity as possible ie Cernunnos has a candle with frankinscence, Brigid has a bronze candle. Freya has a flower based red candle but I’ve been adding pink headlights to the candle. It’s created an interesting effect like there are pink mountains with the red ground. It’s actually pretty cool.

18 Likes

@Kasandra
My goodness child, how kind you are.
Perhaps your dragon spirit is telling you to be honorable and protective of others. If so, you are certainly succeeding.
Sending blessings
Garnet

15 Likes

I highly recommend these 2 books on Candle Magic. I own the book by Mystic Dylan and I love it!

:books: Candle Magic for Beginners: Spells for Prosperity, Love, Abundance, and More by Mystic Dylan

:books: The Book of Candle Magic: Candle Spell Secrets to Change Your Life by Madame Pamita

:tv: I found this video on Youtube. Its a 2 hour class over Advanced Candle Magic. I thought this would be really informative for people who already know the basics and want something a little more in depth. They even list an agenda of what’s covered in the video

:candle: Earliest Magic
:candle: Safety Reminder
:candle: Advanced Tools & Techniques
:candle: Candle Magic Tips
:candle: Pyromancy: Interpreting the Flame
:candle: Ceromancy: Interpreting the Wax
:candle: Capnomancy: Interpreting the Smoke
:candle: Candle Magic Myths
:candle: Questions

19 Likes

Well, I have been extremely down lately and with great reason! For this challenge, I wrote my affirmation to have peace and calm enter my life. I placed the intention under my blue candle (I think of blue for calm). I rub my hands together and hold the candle to infuse it with my energy. When I’m ready, I light it. I placed blue stones around the candle that incorporate with peace and calmness. I then let my intention work it’s magic and set out for the universe to do its job. Sorry no pic
 another story for another time!

13 Likes