🫧 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Cleansing in the Craft

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - The Fortune Teller’s Game :slot_machine:

This week is special as it is the week of the Equinox! As the season changes, it is a healthy and beneficial practice to ready yourself and your space for the shifting energies :broom:

The theme for this week’s challenge welcomes the Equinox and is…

Cleansing Purification Challenge

:bubbles: :broom: Magickal Cleansing :soap: :sparkles:

The season is shifting- time to tidy up!

Whether you are welcoming the start of spring with Ostara in the Northern Hemisphere or the beginning of fall with Mabon in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are changing and energy is shifting as night and day come into equilibrium :balance_scale:

And what better way to prepare yourself- body, mind, and sacred space- than with some spring/fall cleaning? :broom::blush:

In magick, cleansing is the practice of removing old, stale, stagnant, or negative energies to clear the way for fresh energy. Some cleansing work wipes a blank slate, while other types of cleansing include the intention to replace the old with some new positives :+1:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is about exploring magickal cleansing- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Squeaky Clean Spellwork :bubbles:

This challenge is all about cleansing- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

There are many ways and methods to cleanse. A few of the most popular methods of cleansing include:

• :diya_lamp: Smoke and incense
  • :salt: Salt
  • :herb: Sage and purification herbs
  • :full_moon: Moon light
  • :gem: Crystals
  • :notes: Music and sound
  • And more!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Cleansing the Self :woman_in_lotus_position:

There are many magickal ways one might cleanse or purify themselves- from spiritual baths to salt scrubs, self-purification rites and more, here are just a few ideas for how you might cleanse your body, mind, emotions, spirit, and more!

Spiritual Baths
Spiritual-Cleansing-Bath-Ingredients-360x240

Cleansing Chamomile Tea Spell & Meditation
Chamomile-Cleansing-Tea-Magic-360x240

Purifying Lavender Tea Potion
Lavender-Tea-Spell-Meditation-360x240

Cleansing Your Space & Tools :place_of_worship:

In addition to cleansing one’s body, mind, emotions, and spirit, it is also possible to cleanse one’s surroundings and magickal tools. Cleansing your altar, sacred space, home, and favorite tools can be as simple as tidying up clutter or giving things a good dusting :broom:

It is also possible to use magick to remove negative or stagnant energy and invite in positive energy and blessings. Here are a few spells you might consider for doing just that!

Out With the Old - House Cleansing Spell
out-with-the-old-spell-360x240

Snow Purification Spell for Crystals
Snow-Spell-Full-Moon-magick-800x530

Home Cleansing Salt Ritual
Salt-Protection-Spell-Ritual-360x240

Cleanse a Candle
How-to-Cleanse-a-Candle-Witchcraft-360x240

Smokeless Smudging Spray Recipe
Smokeless-Smudging-Mist-Recipe-1-1-360x240

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just that- simple suggestions! If you feel called to explore magickal cleansing in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the theme :star2:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 21 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-03-21T06:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Salt, smoke, sound, or sage
Many methods can take the stage
How you cleanse is up to you
So out with the old and in with the new!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be and Happy Equinox! :bubbles::sparkles:

23 Likes

You are AMAZING Bry!!! :kissing_heart: I looove this challenge!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

I’m BEYOND excited for this challenge this week because I have been cleaning things out and throwing things away. I cannot wait because I have so many plans for this week. I just said last night, I need to cleanse the house, my crystals, my alter and space, and myself. SO THIS IS PERFECT! :smile:

18 Likes

138 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Cleansing in the Craft
CHALLENGE ENTRY - Garnet
There are so many ways to approach this challenge, but I decided to go with
an ancient cleaning practice that I learned years ago. Thieves Oil.

I first Came across Thieves oil when studying the middle ages and plagues.
According to the long-told historic tales…. The use of thieves’ oil dates all the way back to the year 1413.
The legend? The Black Death caused untold numbers of deaths. During this plague, four thieves were captured and charged with stealing from the sick and dying. The thieves never contracted the plague, despite the close contact with the Black Death victims.
The Thieves told the judge their secret with a promise that they would not be burned at the stake. It would seem that they were perfume & spice merchants who were unemployed due to the closure of the seaports and the devastation of the plague. They had prepared an essential oil recipe that when applied to their hands, ears, temples, feet & a mask over their mouths, kept them safe from infection. The judge stayed true to his word. The men were not burned alive, but instead, they were hanged for their crimes. Their remedy was therefore named 4 thieves oil.
I guess there’s no honor among thieves or judges.
There are a lot of recipes, but I like the
5 Ingredient thieves oil, It’s an essential oil blend that’s made of cinnamon, lemon, clove, eucalyptus (radiata), and rosemary

5 Thieves oil cleanser

• 1/2 cup 91% rubbing alcohol or 190 proof ethanol
  • 20 drops clove bud E. O.
  • 14 drops lemon E. O.
  • 10 drops cinnamon bark E. O.
  • 10 drops Eucalyptus E.O. (I don’t use it, it gives me a headache)
    Put in a spray bottle and use as disinfected where needed.

Thieves oil toilet bomb
Ingredients

• 2 Tb. castile soap - this is what I use if I don’t have Dawn
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 20 drops clove bud E. O.
  • 14 drops lemon E. O.
  • 10 drops cinnamon bark E. O.
  • 10 drops Eucalyptus E.O.
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
    Instructions
    Pour the castile soap, vinegar, and essential oil straight into the toilet and swirl around. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then add baking soda (make sure you wait on the baking soda, otherwise it’ll go crazy and foam up). After the bubbles have died down, scrub the toilet and then flush. Leaves the commode clean, sparkly, and sweet smelling.

OK, now that our counters and potties are free of evil (ha, ha)

Let’s talk about spiritual cleansing.
Spiritual cleansing, at its most simple, is a means to remove bad energies.
Before any ritual, a simple cleansing bath is advised. For those who don’t have a tub, you can put your ingredients into a mesh bag and tie it to your shower head, and shower as usual. Or you can make up a solution for your cleansing recipe, in a gallon pitcher. That should be enough and slowly pour it over your body.
Fresh, clean stream or river water is already blessed so you wouldn’t need anything but your ceremony.
Light a candle…
Barring the unavailability of a bath or shower, you can meditate with your crystals around you to purify your mind and spirit. Meditation is an excellent means of mental and spiritual cleansing.
Burning or spraying Sage is a good way to clean your magical altar and supplies.

My brain is still a little muddled, so I hope this made sense.
Thanks for listening to me drone on.
Love you all
Garnet.

20 Likes

Challenge Entry
I have many ways I cleanse my sacred space. I have a large broom hanging on my wall (that I bought at a dollar store months ago). The cinnamon smell has since faded away, but every month for the New Moon, I spray it with sage smudge spray and sweep the air in the room. I also like to spray the safe smudge spray in the corners of my sacred space and in the threshold. Another way I like to cleanse my sacred space is diffusing rosemary essential oil. This week, I am going to start decorating my altar for Ostara. There is a New Moon around the time, so I think I might diffuse geranium essential oil to give the room a floral smell. Out with winter, in with spring!

I also wanted to share a protection/cleansing spell that I mentioned only in a Sacred Space post. If someone is sending sour/negative energy your way, you can take a zesty treat, such as pickles, direct that sour/negativity energy towards the pickles and let the salty juice cleanse it and then eat one. When people are being sour towards you, make pickles! :laughing: :cucumber:

21 Likes

Ritual Cleansing Bath
warm water [full bathtub] ok don’t drown
1 handful of salt for cleaning
A handful of cumin to boost psychic powers
Cinnamon powder for well-being
thyme for constant cash flow
lavender essential oil for relaxation
1 green streak for the Earth
1 blue hose for Nero
1 red ribbon for Fotia
1 gold reso for Aera
1 lavender bubble bath of your choice
This ritual cleansing bath is done before any spell

20 Likes

Another one that I was like nope and then I instantly thought of 3 or 4 things I want to do. Now if I can just remember at least one :laughing:

16 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Cleansing in the Craft ENTRY

This is a Challenge I NEED to do! I feel as though I have been trying to tie up loose ends in the mist of chaos in my life, but I have ignored my Witch Sister’s, my Family. Doing this Challenge makes me feel like I am on the right track and starting fresh.

I will be starting this Challenge by cleansing myself first. Then I am going to do the following:

“It is also possible to use magick to remove negative or stagnant energy and invite in positive energy and blessings.”(Spells 8, Bry, 2023)

This was from last week’s Challenge, but it fits here as well:

Watermelon Tea :watermelon:

:watermelon: 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
:watermelon: 6 cups black tea
:watermelon: 1 cup mint

To Prepare:

:watermelon: Puree watermelon in a food processor or blender with mint
:watermelon: Prepare black tea, let steep for one hour
:watermelon: Add watermelon puree and tea together

According to Willow Wisps aka Nami, Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamins, healthy heart, some cancers along with many other benefits. I have much stress happening in my life and I am afraid it is lowering my resistance making me more sept able to “sickness” and negative energies. This looked interesting. I will make this Watermelon Tea along with a few other potions.

Physical benefits of Watermelon Include: It really helps you hydrate. Hence the name, watermelon is very high in water and therefore great for hydrating. It contains lots of Vitamin A and C as well, and has some anti-inflammatory agents and antioxidants. It also has compounds that are said to help maintain a healthy heart and prevent certain cancers. Metaphysical Properties of Watermelon include: Due to it’s high concentration of water it is often associated with cleansing and healing, as the water in it can help was the bad energies and illness from your life. The fruit is sacred to the Deities Set and Yemaya. it is also said you should give a watermelon to someone who needs more peace in their life. (Nami, themanicnami.tumblr,13 MAR 2019)

Blessed Be,
Medea

21 Likes

Challenge Entry

I don’t do anything with smoke or incense cleaning as my sense of smell is a bit too sensitive, but I’ve found a variety of other methods that I’ve used! However, in looking at the list, I have a lot to dig into and learn about yet (like salt and crystals especially.)

Here’s what I currently use for cleansing:

:water_element: Aura Cleansing :lemon:

I have modified an aura cleansing spray DIY in a dropper bottle that I use to clear negative energy or reset before magick if I feel I may bring anything other than good vibes to what I’m doing.

:shower: Shower Cleansing :soap:

I don’t take many baths so I love to use showers for cleansing. I use a lot of tips from Wiccan Tips on Instagram for this like visualization, sugar scrub and herbs especially. For the sugar scrub, I started an unscented base with sugar and oil then grab some whenever I need it. Then I add herbs and/or essential oils to it depending on what type of cleansing I’m using it for.

:musical_note: Sound Cleansing :notes:

I listen to Awake Nation a lot:

But I’ve also been trying to learn more about the different Solfeggio frequencies to decide which frequencies are fit for different situations.

Image Credit

Here’s a few articles on them if you’re interested in learning more as well:

23 Likes

This is crazy I was just asking my sisters if they needed a house cleansing this morning.

17 Likes

That’s awesome @Garnet! I made thieves oil a few challenges back, but I put it in a roller bottle. I didn’t even think about making it into a cleaner. Thanks for the idea!

15 Likes

Thieves oil is my very, very favorite blend ever. I use it for all the things! I add rosemary to my blend as well. Have you tried brusshing your teeth with it? Of course, super diluted, but man… I add a drop to my toothpaste during high flu/cold times… it’s amazing!

16 Likes

I have taken a few days off to get some spring cleaning done, so this challenge is perfect!
I was looking up witchy cleaning ideas this morning and came across a site about magical homemaking and got some ideas. While I was doing that I knocked a candle over and got candle wax all over my altar cloth. That experience is under “Messy Witch” lol! This was a few hours before the weekly challenge was announced.

So, here we go…

Weekly Challenge

Peaceful Magical Floor Wash

• 1 bucket
  • 1 cup moon water
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 5 drops lavender essential oil
    Fill the rest of the bucket with hot water

Energetic Magical Floor Wash

• 1 bucket
  • 1 cup moon water
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 5 drops lemon essential oil
  • 5 drops orange essential oil

Fill the rest of the bucket with hot clean water

When you are done, just toss that dirty water right out of your front or back door. :bubbles:

I am going to be trying both of these tomorrow and will let everyone know how it works.

19 Likes

Wow Ailey I never thought about brushing my teeth with it. That’s pretty cool!

15 Likes

@Ostara, I mean… a tiny drop goes a long way, but it makes your mouth feel so clean!

16 Likes

Hmm, I had an idea but so many are up already! Y’all got the jump on me today! LOL! I’ll have to think.

16 Likes

I am just beginning my practice with using a pendulum for divination purposes. I received several new pendulums in the mail and they were in obvious need of cleansing before use.

I came up with this chant to cleanse, protect, and consecrate them.

Instructions

1. Light a cleansing form of incense. I used frankincense or Palo Alto
  2. Hold the pendulum in the smoke of the incense
  3. Chant the following:
    I cleanse, protect, and consecrate this pendulum as a tool of my practice and an extension of myself
    I cleanse, protect, and consecrate this pendulum as a tool of my practice and an extension of myself
    No evil or negativity may surround or penetrate this pendulum. Three times three, so mote it be

This worked really well for me, The words came to me pretty easy and flow naturally.

Happy Equinox and Blessed Be

21 Likes

:thinking: Hmm, I am going on a trip (for my 30th anniversary) from Friday - Tuesday so I need to try to figure out something to do tomorrow! :laughing: No pressure!! :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

**Hello everyone! For this weeks challenge entry i am choosing to share a spray i use at work on the regular. Working in an environment full of gossip, and the inability to walk away from my work area, i use my bitch-be-gone spray. Simply bring some moon water to a light boil. Remove from heat.Add rose petals for banishing the bitch, peace, and emotional protection. Add sage for purification,banishing, and stress. Add Frankincense essential oil for protection,anxiety,defense, to improve mood, and transformation. Let those ingredients steep until water is cool. Once cool add clear quartz and black obsidian to a spray bottle that has been smoke cleansed. Strain herbs from water. Pour strained water into spray bottle. For added oomph you can charge in the sun or on selenite for a few hours. This stuff works like a charm

23 Likes

Gerri I really like your post and your banishing bitch spray every witch needs this spray in her life! Thank you

:blush:
Tonight I did a cord cutting ritual that I learned from spells 8 Cut The Cords :scissors:
I think it is a great way to help your energetic field. Imagine the person that really has upset you and any cords that are connecting to you. <“Just cut the cords”>for me this means that there energy is no longer connecting to mines and know we can start from scratch. I want my relationships to be healthy! I feel much better know that I have removed myself from this person. I think next time I will completely remove this person from my life because I deserve healthy relationships!
Jeannie

21 Likes