šŸŒ„ Weekly Witchy Challenge - Magick of the Sun

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Cleansing in the Craft :bubbles:

All tidied up and refreshed after last week, this week we are lighting up the first days of the new season with a very bright type of magick! :sun:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge was suggested by the two brilliant souls @Amethyst and @Garnet and isā€¦

Magick of the Sun Solar Spells Light Fire Challenge

:sunrise_over_mountains: :sparkles: Magick of the Sun :sun_with_face: :fire:

With the Sabbat (a celebration of one of the eight key points in the sunā€™s journey throughout the year) and the equinox (balance between day and night) on everyoneā€™s minds this week, it seems like a great time to embrace the magick of the sun! :sunglasses:

Solar Magick, while arguably not as widely discussed as Moon Magick, is a very hot topic in the Craft and holds wonderful potential for many types of spellwork and intentions. Allow us to rekindle what we started in the previous Solar Magick challenge a while back with some brilliantly sunny spellwork this week! :sun_with_face:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is about exploring the magick of the sun- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Solar Magick :sun:

This challenge is all about using the power of the sun- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

For an introduction to solar magick and some basic ideas on how to use solar energy, a good first place to begin is by reading the Solar Magick and Sun Energy Guide :sun:

Sun-Magick-360x240

Ready to get started? As an extra boost of inspiration, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challengeā€¦

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Welcoming the Sun :sunrise:

As simple as it sounds (or as elaborate as you wish!), welcoming the sunā€™s arrival in the morning is a lovely daily practice to get in touch with nature and the elements.

From saying a prayer, meditating, making an offering, or perhaps simply enjoying a cup of tea as the sun rises- there are many ways to find joy and magick in this daily miracle. Feel free to welcome the sun in your own unique way!

Picture from Pixabay

Solar Magick Spells :magic_wand:

There are many spells, rituals, and meditations out there that draw on the sun- if you canā€™t find one you like, feel free to adapt a favorite spell or write your own!

Ra Prayer for Sunrise and Sunset
Ra-Sun-God-Devotional-Prayer-360x240

Sun Goddess Perfume
Sun-Goddess-Perfume-Recipe-360x240

Sunshine Oil Potion
Sunshine-Oil-Witches-Potion-360x240

Solar Plexus Healing Crystal Grid
solar-altar-crystal-grid

How to Make Solar Water
Sun-Magick-thumb

How to Make Sun Tea
making sun tea

Solar Flares :sun:

A solar flare is an astronomical event that occurs when large bursts of energy and light explode from the sun. Solar flares occur relatively often and can be viewed with the proper equipment, though occasionally there is a flare that is large and bright enough to be viewable with the naked eye :sun: :telescope:

Picture from Pixabay

The frequency of occurrence of solar flares varies with the 11-year solar cycle. It can range from several per day during solar maximum to less than one every week during solar minimum. Additionally, more powerful flares are less frequent than weaker ones.

From Wikipedia: Solar Flare

Both solar flares and sun storms affect the cosmos and carry powerful potential for magick. If you are looking for something different (literally ā€˜out of this worldā€™! :milky_way:) to do for this challenge, consider exploring the magick of solar flares and sun storms :sun_with_face:

Fire and Light :fire:

Both fire and light are key elements of the sun- as they both carry the sunā€™s energy, they can be used to channel or call upon solar powers even when the sun isnā€™t shinning. In the dark of night or on a cloudy day, use fire or light to work with the sun :candle:

Fire Elemental Invocation
Fire-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-Prayer-360x240

Belenus: The Celtic God of Light and Fire
Belenus-Celtic-Deity-Art-360x240

Pure Light: House and Spirit Cleansing Spell
House-Spirit-Karma-Cleansing-Spell-360x240

Fire Spell to Remove Obstacles
Spell-to-Burn-Away-Obstacles-Forum

White Candle Spell Collection
White-Candle-Spells-360x240

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore solar magick in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the theme :star2:

For more solar magick ideas, feel free to visit the previous Solar Magick Challenge- the wonderful entries shared by coven members are full of great examples of solar magick and sunny spellwork for you to explore! :sun_with_face:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 28 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-03-28T05:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Brighter than stars and hotter than flame,
Solar magick is yours to claim.
So reach to the heavens, embrace the divine-
Donā€™t be afraid to let your magick shine!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :sunrise_over_mountains: :sparkles:

27 Likes

This is a very nice idea! I might do something outdoors if the weather is nice on Sunday :sun:

14 Likes

Wow wow wow! This is soo sunny & sparkly! :sun: :sparkles: I am in looooove!! The spell chant at the end is just heart warming Bry! :face_holding_back_tears: :yellow_heart: :orange_heart:

14 Likes

Whee! Looking forward to seeing what everyone posts! This will be fun!

13 Likes

Oh, this will definitely take me out of my comfort zone, lol. I have come to align myself more as a hedge witch and work with death deities. I almost exclusively work at night and follow the lunar cycle. Iā€™ll have to see what I can come up with. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

14 Likes

@BryWisteria ā€¦ we must be on the same wavelength again because I was just thinking about the sun in regard to my personal practice :laughing: Iā€™m not sure what to do with this challenge yet but itā€™s been on my mind!

11 Likes

Yesterday was the last sunny day until Sunday. Itā€™s supposed to be mild and rainy all week. But the sun shines everyday! Not entirely sure what to do for this challenge, but maybe I could make some sun water as an offering to Brigid, then do a Solar Plexus Chakra Crystal Grid.

13 Likes

Weekly Witch Challenge - Gratitude for the sunlight

Challenge entry - Garnet

What and how does the sun affect us?

I can spout out all the history and scientific reasons but this post can be summed up in the last nine lines.

The sun has been a source of myth, magic, and legend for thousands of years. The concept of sun worship is one nearly as old as mankind itself. In societies that were primarily agricultural, and depended on the sun for life and sustenance, it is no surprise that the sun became deified.
Stone circles megaliths and pyramids around the globe are aligned to the sunā€™s position during the summer and winter solstices, as well as the vernal and autumn equinoxes.

You can charge your magical items with the moon and the sun is also a powerful charger.

I, for one am thankful for the sunā€™s effect on our planet.

1. Its very existence allows the earth to support life.

2. It regulates the temp of Earth, like Goldilocks, not too hot & not too cold.

3. Earthā€™s tilted axis causes the seasons, which help make our crops grow.

4. it also is directly related to the time it takes in melting glaciers, If the temp is above normal, they melt faster. If the temp is lower it slows the melting.

5. As well as tilting, the sun affects the rotation and spin of the earth on its axis.

6. Sunlight nutrition is essential for health. In fact, light is the essential element from which all life originates and is energized.

7. Vitamin D is absorbed from the sun and is essential for bone strength and development. In fact, the Capuchin monkey and the Marmiset, for instance, cannot develop correctly without sun, their bones become soft and deformed.

Now for the downside. The sun has been proven related to skin cancer, and age spots. Sunburn. By the time your skin turns pink and painful, most of the harm is already done. Sunburns happen when thereā€™sā€¦ Dry Skin, rough patches. But you donā€™t have to be stuck with the lizardā€¦ and last and least desired, Wrinkles.

Life and the sun

Thank you

How lovely is the sunrise

There is no sun without rain.

Or joy without pain.

Sorrow, rage, & pain are a part of life.

There comes a time to just let go.

Let it go.

How lovely is the sunset.

Thank you

What are you grateful for?

Most profound blessings

Garnet

16 Likes

Sun spell how beautiful! we have morning sun water [East] we put mint basil and daphne calling the spell Sun strong rich bright road open unhindered!three herbs of wealth and the power of the Sun on three bring me now with the Law of the Three money prosperity abundanceSo I said this is how it will be! The water with the herbs was scattered in a circle in the yard and sprinkled inside the house
SORRY FOR THE TRANSLITERATION

13 Likes

Oooā€¦ sun magick has been on my mind & working with it in my practice! No idea what Iā€™ll do yet, but the sun :sun: has been shining brightly the last few days & always makes me feel better! :revolving_hearts:

11 Likes

Bright and beautiful Garnet! :yellow_heart: :sun: :sparkles: I loove the lines in Life and the Sun!! :face_holding_back_tears:

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been enjoying the lovely sunshine so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sun: And Iā€™ve been continuing my sound healing ritual with the solar plexus chakra going to bed and getting up :blush: Maybe I could write something sweet to capture my feelingsā€¦ :relaxed: :feather: Or start doing Sun Salutations in the morning, I actually got an email suggesting that, another fun little synchronicityā€¦ :thinking: :smile_cat:

12 Likes

How sunny and sweeet! :wink: :yellow_heart: :sun: :dizzy:

10 Likes

@stavroula Iā€™m happy you think so, Stavroula! :blush: And that sounds lovely- I hope you have some nice weather this weekend. Enjoy! :sun_with_face:

@Solasta_Amore Awwww thank you, Solasta- Iā€™m happy you like it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Canā€™t wait to see what sunny spellwork you choose to do this week- shine bright (as you always do!) and have fun with it, my friend! :sun: :sparkles:

@Amethyst Thanks again for suggesting the theme for this week, Amethyst- itā€™s definitely a brilliant one! :sun: :sunglasses: :two_hearts:

@Amaris_Bane For someone who works closely with deities of death and darkness, I can definitely see how this theme would pose a challenge. That being said, you are smart, creative, and extremely talented- Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be able to find a way to work some solar energy into your Craft, Amaris! If you you choose to take on the theme, then I wish you good luck and I hope you have fun :blush::heart:

@MeganB Thereā€™s that coven hive mind at it again! :laughing: :+1: Hooray for being on the same wavelength! Hahaha Iā€™ll look forward to seeing any sunny magick you choose to share this week :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Kasandra Oh no- come back, sunshine! Hopefully the weather changes and the sun comes back for you sooner than expected. But even if not, it sounds like youā€™ll be able to draw on some bright energy all the same- those plans sounds lovely, Kasandra! Good luck and enjoy! :sun_with_face: :sparkles:

@Garnet I can feel your enthusiasm radiating through your words- youā€™re a bright soul, Garnet, I can see why you enjoy solar magick so much! :sun: :heart: Thank you so much for sharing your gratitude (even considering the downsides of sunlight- I suppose nothing is perfect! :sweat_smile:) and the beautiful prose too- I always love your writing. Thank you, Garnet- keep on shining! :sparkles::grinning:

@Airam No need to apologize! :blush: That is a lovely recipe for sun water- I like how you incorporated herbs that honor the Law of Three. It sounds like a very powerful blend. Wishing you lots of abundance and prosperity- so mote it be! :heart::sun_with_face:

@Susurrus It sounds like many of us were on the same wavelength this week- it must really be a good time to be casting solar magick! :laughing: :+1: I hope the sun continues to shine brightly there for you- good luck and have fun with your casting! :magic_wand:

@CelestiaMoon Ohhhh so many lovely things- I can tell you really embrace and welcome the sun and its energy into both your practice and your daily life, Celestia! I think that is a lovely and warm way to live :sun_with_face: :two_hearts: From what youā€™ve said, it sounds like creativity is flowing for you this week- Iā€™m looking forward to hearing what youā€™ll choose to do! Good luck and I hope you have fun with it :heart::blush:

12 Likes

Witchy Challenge Entry: Solar Magic

What a lovely coincidence in that we are having a massive https://www.businessinsider.com/northern-lights-sky-friday-us-solar-winds-giant-hole-sun-2023-3 solar storm on Friday, with the potential to see the Northern Lights as far south as Washington, DC! I have never witnessed this phenomenon. The best chance to see them is at night with a clear skyā€¦unfortunately, the forecast is for rain here. But I will still know they are there :slight_smile: and will take advantage of the increased energies (it also being a portal activation day) for meditation and gratitude work.

However, as luck would have it, on the day of the Sun this weekend, skies will clear and i will perform an abundance spell.

Personally, i will be looking to improve my health (along with my mundane efforts, including medically supported benefit of sunlight exposure).

The optimal timing for this workā€™s intention is morning through noon.

This spell is intended to draw upon the sunā€™s energy for happiness and abundance on Sunday or any other day.

For those who use altars, use a yellow, orange or sky blue cloth.

Gather a white, yellow, gold or orange candle, which you may dress with a blend of orange essential oil, a carrier oil and cinnamon, as to your preference.

Alternatively, and what I will do, is take a 7 day candle in your desired color and decorate it with sun imagery, sigils, to dedicate to this work. A super easy way is to print a image you find online, e.g. sun Tarot card, and apply it to the glass exterior with glue or mod podge. You can also use oil based paint pens to draw on glass.

For those who work with incense, cinnamon, frankincense or sandalwood would be good.

Gather any herbs or plants you choose to work with, including calendula, marigold, sunflower, rosemary, cinnamon, cinquefoil, saffron, lemon, orange, or honey.

Or bake cookies or a cake with some of these ingredients and present it as an offering, if you choose.

Another option is to make an infusion to drink as you meditate. Saffron is good brewed as a tea, and good for your health.

For those who work with crystals, gather any or a combination of citrine, Sunstone, heliodor, carnelian, tiger eye, or quartz.

I like to use crystals to hold my image, sigil or written petition in place on my altar. Another option is a crystal manifestation grid.

You might use an image or symbol to represent what you wish to attract to your life, be it restored or improved health, a more positive outlook, a job, success in an endeavor, or other blessing. The Sun Tarot card may be added to your sacred space.

Light the candle and visualize having what you desire, how the quality of your life or familyā€™s life will improve with this gift.

When ready, say

Shine on me, good energy
Let abundance come to me
Honey, ginger, lemon seed
This is what I truly need
Nothing more and nothing less
Focused on my happiness
Cinnamon and cedar tree
Ever grateful will I be
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Spell is complete. Act in accord.

14 Likes

I love this. I have been wanting to do some Sun magick!

I canā€™t believe itā€™s Thursday already. This week has flown by!

10 Likes

@mary25
Well done Mary!
The challenges are making us all think deeper and your spell was wonderful.
Garnet

12 Likes

@BryWisteria
I just wanted to remind everybody that the clouds, rain, or snow may obscure the sun or moon, but theyā€™re still there. I promise and it has never made a difference for my spells.
Relax, close your eyes, and let your mind expand.
Garnet

13 Likes

@mary25 thank you for that information! Iā€™m going to look into if Iā€™m in 1 of the states that may see them or even feel the solar winds! :sun: :wind_face:

@Ostara I am with you! I initially woke up thinking it was Wednesday :rofl:

@Garnet I found this out weā€™ll say a few years ago :laughing: when we went out on a boat to a small island by us & I was sitting on the beach :parasol_on_ground: reading :open_book: It was very warm but also very overcast :cloud: However, by the time we were getting ready to leaveā€¦ I had to cover my legs with a towel because they were getting sunburned. It was then I learnedā€¦ just because you canā€™t see it, doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s not there :sun:

I spent some time last night after I was settling for bed to look into sun :sun: or solar magic :magic_wand: Some of the things that it suggests making a daily part of your practiceā€¦ I have always done! So, kind of looking for some lesser known things, at least to meā€¦ to include in my entry. I also found a Pagan Portals book :closed_book: specifically on Sun Magic. Now itā€™s on my to read list, but I was so excited to find it :hugs:

11 Likes

I thought it was Wednesday too. We both lost a day somehow. Lol. At least itā€™s closer to the weekend!

11 Likes