šŸ’š Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Natural Health & Healing

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - The Divine Feminine :female_sign:

Having found balance in the divine energies over the past two weeks, itā€™s time to put the energies around us to good use- with the blessing of nature, this week should be a blissful respite in the healing arms of the Earth :hugs::earth_americas:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge was suggested by the kind @Kasandra and isā€¦

Natural Health Healing Challenge Witch

:green_heart: :sparkles: Natural Health & Healing :herb: :adhesive_bandage:

The healing gifts of nature and the natural world

Modern medicine gained popularity during the 18th and 19th centuries as societies rapidly developed, and while Western science has created a powerful form of medicine- it is just one of the many healing methods available to us :adhesive_bandage:

Humankind has studied, explored, and experimented with medicine and healing throughout history- there are records of early medicine recorded in Ancient Mesopotamia as far back as 2,000 B.C.E (source).

Over the many years, forms of primitive medical knowledge have been further explored, refined, replaced, and developed. Some systems and treatments faded out over time (such as Humorism or Lobotomy) due to being disproven or even dangerous. But other forms of medicine stayed with humanity- growing and developing along with our species while retaining their ties to natural world :herb:

Today, there are many thriving forms of medicine (sometimes called ā€œtraditionalā€ or ā€œalternativeā€) that draw on the power of nature. From herbalism to Ayurveda, energy healing to TCM and more- the knowledge of how to use the Earth and its gifts to heal has been treasured and passed down through the ages :handshake: :green_heart:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is about exploring Natural Health & Healing- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Disclaimer: Please remember that everyoneā€™s bodies are unique- not every natural or alternative remedy will work equally for different people. Additionally, certain natural remedies may not be safe for certain people- always use caution and consider checking with a trusted medical professional before experimenting with a new treatment. Stay safe in your pursuit of good health! :heart:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Natural Methods of Healing :mending_heart:

This challenge is all about exploring natural health and ways to heal- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nautral Healing Traditions :open_book:

For this challenge, consider exploring a tradition of natural healing. You might look into any of the following large traditions, or explore a smaller (such as a local or family) tradition close to your heart.

Please keep in mind that some traditions of healing are intricately tied to certain cultures and/or religions- if you chose to explore a tradition outside of your own, please remember to proceed with mindfulness and respect :pray::heart:

Healing Gifts from the Earth :herb:

The Earth is abundant with Her gifts, helping to keep us healthy and well! For this challenge, consider exploring the benefits of using natural ingredients and tools within your practice and life.

Magickal Witch Plants
Witch-Plants-Herbs-Every-Witch-Should-Know-360x240

Most Popular Crystals
Most-popular-crystals-thumb

Himalayan Salt: Magical & Healing
Magical-Properties-of-Pink-Himalayan-Salt-360x240

For additional ideas, feel free to check out the wonderful entries shared by coven members in the two previous challenges related to healing!

Natural Healing Spellwork & Practices :sparkles:

Energy Work: Sending Healing Energy
Sending-Healing-Energy-360x240

All-Purpose Natural Healing Salve
All-Purpose-Healing-Salve-recipe-360x240

Chamomile and Eucalyptus Healing Bath
Chamomile-and-Eucalyptus-Healing-Bath-Spells8-360x240

Herbal Antiseptic Ointment Recipe
Antiseptic-Ointment-DIY-Recipe-360x240

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore natural healing in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the theme :star2:

Picture from Law of Attraction: Guide to Healing Crystals

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, May 16 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-05-16T05:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Abundant yet free, of immeasurable worth-
We are blessed to receive these gifts from the Earth.
And with knowledge from healers who came before,
We have all we need for good health and much more!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :green_heart::sparkles:

21 Likes

Oh! Over the last year, maybe year & a halfā€¦ itā€™s definitely been a little bit. I have used ā€˜alternativeā€™ medicine to come off commercial medications. I feel a lot better! So Iā€™ll have to figure out which ones I am using currently since I have been spending my days in my yard cleaning it up almost a week now :thinking: Iā€™m going to have to pay attention :face_with_monocle:

17 Likes

144 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Natural Health & Healing

CHALLENGE ENTRY: GARNET

The human body is an amazingly complex living machine. I truly believe that mother nature has a cure for any disease or ailment, albeit growing, swimming, or in the air. I also believe that at one time this was all known and used. But with the passage of time, differences of cultures, and languages it was lost to us. But humanity is a clever and inventive species.

Knowledge is power, but sometimes it can be self-defeating. Experimentation with animals minerals and vegetables. Some actually helped, i.e. insulin from animals to treat diabetes. Menthol and camphor are used in muscle rubs. Garlic as an antibacterial and salt, both processed (iodized or plain) for sore throat gargles. Pink or Himalayan salt contains minerals like zinc, iodine, magnesium, and iron (which gives pink salt its color). But in Table or white salt through processing, the minerals are lost.

Having been educated in applied science, I learned modern medicine and very little natural medicine. But life and ā€œhigher educationā€ are two different things and in the learning, one becomes enriched beyond books. So what was found, then lost, then found again.

Here are a few facts you may not be aware of.

Spiders web was used to stop or reduce bleeding. Why? The webs are high in Vit. K ā†’ the clotting vitamin. Did early people know why? No, they just knew it worked.

https://remedygrove.com/remedies/Organic-Healing-Treating-Bleeding-Wounds-With-Cobwebs

Sphagnum moss, is great for dressing a wound. It acts as a natural iodine and is purportedly sterile because of this quality.

9 Surprising Survival Uses Of Moss - Survivopedia

Tree Bark - Apple Bark to Reduce Fever, Willow Bark as a Painkiller. Poplar Bark to Heal Burns. Black Cherry Bark for Fighting Coughs

Tart Cherry Juice - Gout - uric acid buildup is what causes gout, Tart cherry juice. reduces uric acid levels ā†’ reduces symptoms

c - Search h erry%20juice%20for%20gout

16 Likes

What perfect timing!

Iā€™ve been delving into my herbal studies lately. One of my goals for this week (in addition to submitting three Architectural Approval Applications to my HOA :sweat: ) is to create my very first salve! Iā€™ve got all the ingredients for my first CBD salve. This is just confirmation that today (or tomorrow) is the day to get it done! :tada:

18 Likes

Me and my sister use alternative medicine all the time she has a masters in Acupuncture and TCM so Iā€™m excited for this challenge I get to ask for her guidance again :smiling_face:

15 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on what to do for this challenge since I made the suggestion. The oregano I had been trying to grow died recently because the soil became infested with a white fungus. While unsightly at times, there are some types of fungus that are actually beneficial to human health. Iā€™ll have a longer post on this in a few days.

14 Likes

@Garnet thats a lot of great information. I had no idea about the spider webs. :flushed: of course now Iā€™ll be roaming around looking for them without theur residents. :laughing:

@Artemisia oooā€¦ I hope it goes well! :blush: The HOA & the new salve! I havenā€™t made 1 yet, but Iā€™ll get there. I have the things to do it, I just have to now.

@brandy20 Iā€™ve been told to try acupuncture for different things. I havenā€™t made it to trying it. Iā€™d like to try it for when my back is consistently acting up. Itā€™s exciting that you can ask her for some guidance on that & TCM. :hugs:

@Kasandra that will be an interesting one to explore about the different tyoes of fungus & properties. :star_struck:

With my allergies acting up I can probably go over what weā€™ve use to help with them especially in the overnight or the different things I use for my anxiety :thinking: Maybe headaches or my back stuffā€¦ Iā€™ll have to narrow it down a bit more. :rofl:

17 Likes

Mycelium is a wonder, often appearing as a white fungus. Kind of a merchant between plants. Providing much needed resources for a trade of ā€œsugarsā€ made by plants. We often see the fruiting bodies of Mycelium as mushrooms.

Maybe of some help in your challenge?

Love and Light

16 Likes

Oh my goodness this is too perfect. I was just talking about natural remedies and how I want to write down what I remember and learn more

14 Likes

:warning: Content warning: My post discusses weight loss.

I wasnā€™t sure how I was going to approach this challenge until a little bit ago when I got an email from NutritionFacts.org ā€“ Iā€™m subscribed to their newsletter and Dr. Gregerā€™s book How Not to Die is on my list of books to read.

Some of you already know that Iā€™ve had to quit drinking coffee and caffeine in general. It was interacting with one of my medications in a way that was really affecting me in many ways. In an effort to find something to replace my morning coffee, Iā€™ve switched to tea. Now, Iā€™m not a tea person at all, I never have been, but Iā€™m giving this a fair shot in an effort to maintain my no-coffee effort. I got several different types of tea that donā€™t have any drug interactions and theyā€™re all caffeine free.

I really like Rooibos tea with a bit of honey. The flavor is rich enough that I can have it in the morning and not miss my regular coffee. I also picked up some Hibiscus tea because it looked interesting and I wanted to try it after reading about it in one of our Spells8 Tea Meditations.

In fact, I have a cup of hibiscus tea sitting with me right now as I type this up! Anyway, back to the email I got this morning. The title of the email was Fat-Blocking Benefits of Hibiscus Tea and it was a video with several studies on the effects of hibiscus tea on the human body.

Within three hours of drinking hibiscus tea, changes in hundreds of metabolites can be detected in the human bloodstream with ā€œcreativeā€ names like hibiscic acid, or hibiscin, or hibiscitrin. Alterations in human gene expression at the three-hour mark after drinking it suggest a downregulation of cholesterol synthesis and an improvement in metabolism. But randomized controlled trials failed to consistently find cholesterol-lowering benefits. An interesting side-effect popped up, though: weight loss.

In Mexico, hibiscus tea has been traditionally used for the treatment of obesity, sparking lots of research interest. Computer modeling studies have suggested that certain hibiscus compounds might bind to the fat-digesting enzyme lipase like a lock-and-key. Test tube studies screening a variety of medicinal plants did indeed find hibiscus inhibited lipase more than most of the others, and hibiscus has been found to reduce body fat in hamsters, mice, and rats, increasing fecal fat excretion. But it wasnā€™t tested in people, until this study published in 2014.

A portion of the transcript from the video ā€“ Fat-Blocking Benefits of Hibiscus Tea

It turns out that hibiscus tea is amazing for not just weight reduction but also potentially high blood pressure and cholesterol. As someone that has always struggled with maintaining a healthy weight, especially after having my daughter and being less active, this was interesting to me. I try to be as active as I can, having sporadic bouts of exercise throughout the month. I eat a mostly plant-based diet full of proteins, fruits, and vegetables. But I also know through my genetics that I have a higher disposition to store excess energy as fat.

I also really enjoy the taste of hibiscus tea. I was telling my mom yesterday as I was drinking a cooled off cup of it that if you just added a bit of sugar, it might taste like Kool-aid :laughing: because without it, and cooled off, it tasted like watered-down Kool-Aid.

Since Iā€™m enjoying hibiscus tea, I thought Iā€™d come up with a chant to say as I make it or drink it to help the tea work effectively! :hibiscus: So this is what I came up with.

Spirit of Hibiscus, I call to you,
In this tea, please imbue
Your healing arts and wonderful flavor,
Perfect for me to drink and savor.

:hibiscus:

Iā€™m not a master wordsmith like many of you (Iā€™m looking at you @BryWisteria with your wonderfully crafted poems and chants at the end of every challengeā€¦) but I think this chant does exactly what I intend!

16 Likes

@shadeweaver thatā€™s pretty interesting information too about fungus!

@Nixi I have to write things down because I tend to forget things all the time :laughing:

@MeganB I have a Hibiscus tea blend that I really like too, I canā€™t remember what else is in it, but it does give the properties of it on the container. I knew about the possibilities of blood pressure & cholesterol. I also knew that it can help with weight loss, the blend that I have (I really wish I could remember what the other 2 ingredients were with it :thinking:) helps with an appetite too. Which is good for me having to increase my appetite to take in more calories. Now I need to remember what else is in it :laughing: I know the blend also on a magical level, is a good one for self-love :heartpulse: Youā€™re right, it does taste good even when it has cooled down! :blush:

14 Likes

Iā€™ve used it for my knee(gonna need surgery one day)but as long as I stayed consistent with my visit it helped tremendously. But sheā€™s also done acupuncture for my emotions and soon we will be doing sessions for my C-section scar. It truly helps alot!

14 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY
Ointment for burns
1 cup calendula petals
1 cup of good quality olive oil

We mix the two materials in a glass jar, and place it in a sunny window for a week.

Strain the olive oil

1/2 cup beeswax melted in bain marie or microwave

Mix the two parts, and divide it into small jars.

Let it solidify overnight, and itā€™s ready to use.

Collect the flower petals at noon.

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

This is a perfect time for this one as I am currently off work with a heavy cold/flu virus. :nauseated_face::sneezing_face::face_with_thermometer:

I know that basically i need to wait it out but in the mean time have been using a few things to ease the symptoms a bit.

I have just had a face bath where i filled a basin with boiling water and added eucalyptus and peppermint. A little tent over my head with a towel and inhale for 10mins to loosen my chest a bit.

I have also been drinking a tea made from:
:tea::lemon:šŸ«š:honey_pot:

2 tbsp of squeezed lemon juicešŸ‹
1tbsp of gingeršŸ«š
1tsp honeyšŸÆ
0.5 tsp turmeric powder

Put all in a mugšŸµ
Top up with boiling wateršŸ’¦
Stir till the honey dissolves :spoon:

:lemon:The lemon acts as a disinfectant
šŸ«š ginger relieves congestion
:honey_pot:the honey soothes coughs and throat pain.
The added turmeric boosts the immune system and is said to help runny nose too.

I am about to head to bed and have placed frankincense into my difuser. It also helps break up muccus in the airway and acts as an anti inflammatory in the nasal passages.

Hopefully a good nights sleep ahead.

Blessed be

Alan

17 Likes

@brandy20 oh my! Iā€™ve never heard of it being used for emotions! Iā€™m going to have to look into it around here! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Cosmic_Curiosity that sounds like a lovely tea blend for dealing with a cold & congestion. I hope yiu start to feel better soon! :people_hugging: You also reminded me that I havenā€™t used my diffusers in a while. So much I let go over the last couole of months. Iā€™m working my way back though :hugs:

@AIRAM oh! That sounds like a lovely ointment & fairly easy to maybe get done too! Another something for me to try! I know Calendula is great for pain & discomfortā€¦ itā€™s just getting to actually making the salve or ointments. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I am not one for taking medicines prescribed to me but I do take some. I have been looking into things that I can make of my own to help me.

I do TCM a lot, I get massages, I do acupuncture thru my chiropracter, and I love cupping and have a few friends who know how to do it if I canā€™t get it done by my theraputic massager. Actually these 3 things are the ones I enjoy the most. I did just tell my partner all I want for mothers day is a massage and he is on board, LOL.

I did recently search for some things to help on here, it is just finding the time to get something done.

13 Likes

@Heav3n oh that sounds awesome & my son swears by his chiropractor. My brother has cupping done on his upper legs.

Oooā€¦ so many ideas for this challenge. Iā€™m going to have a tough time narrowing this one down. :laughing:

Thinking about how much Iā€™ve done to avoid commercial medications & come off the ones I was onā€¦ Iā€™ll have to figure out the best way to go about this one. :thinking:

12 Likes

Garnet- Thank you for all your tips
Artemisa- cbd Salve
:lotion_bottle: you are so awesome Garnet gave me a recipe once, and I would love to make a salve. Good luck :+1:
Brandy- iā€™ve never tried acupuncture, but I have heard that it does work.
Kasandra- yes some funguses are beneficial for us, but then we also have to watch out for some fungus, right? Oregano sounds good in Italian cooking :cook: it is good for pizza that sort of thing. You can also use it for chicken or mushrooms or egg plant and it is a strong herb.
You can make an Italian seasoning 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
:herb: 2 teaspoons dried purple basil
:herb: half teaspoon of ground sage
:herb: half teaspoon dried rosemary
:herb: half teaspoon dried savory
:herb: 2 teaspoons dried grated lemon rind

Looks like a balm can be used for anxiety and depression and some herbalists. Even recommend bomb as a tonic and as sedated itā€™s a fever reducer and Iā€™ve never used it so I would love to try it.
Also Crystal Healing
I love my crystals
and making your own crystal bracelets is showing up for your self and really getting to know your self and what you need.

Jeannie

14 Likes

@Susurrus Iā€™m really happy that youā€™ve found things that helped you feel better! Enjoy your yard work and I hope you find some plant friends while youā€™re out there! :herb::blush:

@Garnet Very well said, Garnet- and I agree! I think that a lot of very valuable knowledge was unfortunately lost over the years. I wonder a lot about the vast resources in the Library of Alexandria and all the knowledge that was destroyed :cry: That being said, itā€™s wonderful to have what we do have passed down from our ancestors- so many wonderful natural remedies! :potted_plant: :two_hearts: Thank you so much for sharing some here- this was a great entry!

@Artemisia How exciting- wishing you all the best with your CBD salve! I hope the crafting goes well for you (along with your HOA applications- good luck!) :green_heart:

@brandy20 Thatā€™s amazing- I looked it into before and I know it takes a lot of time and dedication to get a masters in Acupuncture and TCM, congrats to her! Any wisdom she is able to share is very welcome here :pray::blush:

@Kasandra I think the health benefits of mushrooms/fungus would be a wonderful way to explore the theme- maybe Iā€™m a little bias (I am! :laughing:) but I think thereā€™s huge potential in the healing properties of fungus. If that is what you chose to explore, wishing you all the best and looking forward to your entry! :mushroom::sparkles:

@Shadeweaver It sounds like we have another fungi enthusiast! Your wisdom is very appreciated, Shadeweaver- thanks for sharing! :mushroom: :two_hearts:

@Nixi Yay! Iā€™m happy the theme resonates with you, Nixi- Iā€™m looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experience with natural healing! Good luck and have fun :green_heart:

@MeganB I just have to say that you are really strong for exploring alternatives to coffee- it Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve found some that are working well for you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It is really interesting to hear about the weight loss benefits of hibiscus. I like to drink it in the summer because it is a cooling tea, and Iā€™m a bit fan of the intense fruity flavor! It makes for a really good sun tea too, especially when iced :cup_with_straw: :hibiscus: :yum: Your chant is absolutely beautiful and perfect for your tea- Iā€™d definitely consider you a master wordsmith and chant crafter, my friend! Thank you for sharing this lovely entry, and may you continue to enjoy your tea! :heart:

@AIRAM Hooray for calendula! This is a flower very close to my heart, and youā€™ve put it to such great use in this recipe. Calendula salve is great for many things and is so gentle and healing for the skin! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful recipe, Airam! :orange_heart:

@Cosmic_Curiosity Oh no- Iā€™m so sorry to hear youā€™re sick! It sounds like you are doing all the right things on your journey of recovery, and what a lovely healing tea blend too. I like the addition of turmeric- it must give it an extra boost of warmth and healing power :orange_heart: Please get some good rest- I hope you feel much better again asap! :pray::candle:

@Heav3n It sounds like you have a wonderful variety of methods to help stay healthy and well, Heav3n! Iā€™ve tried acupuncture and massages before, but I havenā€™t done cupping- Iā€™ve heard it can be really helpful for circulation. I hope to try it someday! :blush: Thank you for sharing about the methods that work for you- I hope you can get that Motherā€™s Day massage you are hoping for :heart:

@Jeannie1 Oh! I absolutely love lemon balm- Iā€™ve been drinking it a tea recently, and it truly is loaded with health benefits! Iā€™ve found it most helpful for relaxing and releasing stress. Itā€™s a ā€œhappy-inducingā€ tea with a delicate and pleasant taste. If youā€™re considering giving it a try, I recommend it! :herb::tea: :blush:

16 Likes

Im so needing this right now. This challenge is such perfevt timing as i need to have a serious look at improving nu health n needing some serious healing in many areas. .

15 Likes