🪢 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Eclectic Witch: Interdisciplinary Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Magickal Inks & Oils :sake:

After the hands-on work last week, it’s time to turn the page and get a bit philosophical. But don’t close that beautiful mind of yours! We’re looking across borders and boundaries to see it all.

The theme for this week’s challenge was suggested by not one but two great minds thinking alike (thank you to both @Cosmic_Curiosity and @Kasandra! :raised_hands: ) and is…

Eclectic Magick Interdisciplinary Witch Challenge

:books::knot: The Eclectic Witch: Interdisciplinary Magick :globe_with_meridians: :crown:

Many parts make one beautiful whole

There are many types of witches around the world- and while some choose to stay strictly to one path or tradition, many others choose to draw on various paths, traditions, religions, spiritualities, and more as they find themselves within their Craft.

Witches who practice multiple areas of magick can be generally categorized as Eclectic (although the choice of whether or not to claim this term depends on the witch!) :mage:

Eclectisim
Definition from Google

By nature, an Eclectic Witch is a master of interdisciplinary magick- they are free to draw on and explore topics across the vast reaches of magickal knowledge, merging them and combining them to suit their needs :books:. To those who choose eclecticism, all doors are open- it is up to them to select or define their own rules, magickal ethics, and make their path forward :old_key:

Despite the uniqueness of Eclectisim, it is a very wide umbrella term and is a common one for witches to gather under. (In fact, looking at the Coven Witch Type Poll, it seems that “Eclectic” is the most popular label claimed by witches here in the forum)

Whether or not you feel that the term “Eclectic” describes you and your practice, you are warmly welcome to join in this challenge to explore the exciting possibilities of interdisciplinary magick with your coven this week! :handshake: :sparkling_heart:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about exploring eclectic and interdisciplinary magick- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Tying it All Together :knot:

This challenge is all about eclecticism- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What Makes You You?

On the philosophical side of this challenge, set aside what you do and how you label your practice to take a look at, well, you! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: :blush:

The you of this immediate moment is a beautiful collage of many influences, experiences, and ideas- some that you might be very conscious of, and others that may rest deeper inside you. For this challenge, consider taking some time to explore the many pieces that come together to make the wonderfully unique witch that you are today :jigsaw:

Things you might consider include:

• :latin_cross: Religions or Religious Influences
  • :open_book: Philosophies
  • :older_woman: Heritage and Family
  • :map: Locations and Local Traditions/Culture
  • :school: Education
  • :angel: Deities
  • :spirit_element: Elements
  • :heart: Favorite Areas of Magick
  • :star: Etc.

Practicing Multiple Areas of Magick :magic_wand:

For those who prefer to work some hands-on magick this week, let’s get casting! :mage:

Any spells, rituals, or meditations that draw on multiple topics or areas of focus will count for this challenge. For example, you might draw on your religious beliefs to write an elemental meditation, brew a potion to help unblock your chakras, or combine fire and water in a powerful spell.

For more inspiration and ideas, here are a few places you might search:

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just that- simple suggestions! This is a very eclectic challenge, so if you feel called to explore eclecticism in another way, please feel free to do so! :wink:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the theme :star2:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 7 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-03-07T06:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In our lives many things are gained
Some are gifts, while others claimed
Each is a part that makes you whole-
All put together, one beautiful soul!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :knot::sparkles:

28 Likes

Always a beautiful chant at the end of these challenges, Bry :heart: :musical_note:

I’m gonna have to think on this challenge and see where it takes me… :thinking:

20 Likes

When I think about it, I have definitely brought some aspects from my Catholic upbringing into my Craft. Give me a few days and I’ll have a longer post on what they are. :laughing:

18 Likes

Oh boy… hmmm… gonna have to think about how to approach this one… :laughing:

Time for the thinking cap :billed_cap: this is going to really make me have to think because my practice is a continual evolution :rofl:

16 Likes

Weekly challange i held a pet loss ritual and used a few different crystals around me and took a flower meditating with it thinking about my loss i recited a a few words i had put together layed out cat nip (as she was a cat) an when i said my good byes i put a drop of vingar on my tounge for the sour taste of loss following a drop of hunny for sweet release dropping the flower in the creek behind my house then stuffing out the candles putting the rosecorts crystal i used as representing my love for her up on my cat shelf by my bed to always show my love fof her. This ritual brought me so close to her i could feel her and actually felt the release of pain afterward dont get me wrong im still sad but its ok now shes ok and i welcomed her back anytime she may wish.
-andrea

30 Likes

@Estrella

What a lovely ceremony for your challenge entry! Thank you for sharing with us, I am so very sorry for your loss.

I just wanted to send you a quick Welcome since this is the first time you have posted. I’m Marsha, an Eclectic Solitary Witch, from Colorado. I’m so glad you have joined us, Andrea, welcome to the family! :people_hugging:

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

20 Likes

Awww, that’s a beautiful ritual for your little kitty… I can tell she’ll always have a place in your heart :crying_cat_face: :heart:

16 Likes

Oh, that’s lovely… I’m so sorry for your loss :people_hugging:

A wonderful entry for the challenge @Estrella.

I’m Siofra_Strega a moderator here at Spells8 & happy that you joined the forum & jumped right into your first challenge!

I look forward to learning more with you! If you have any questions or anything else to share with us, please feel free to jump in on any topic or start your own :hugs:

17 Likes

This challenge though… maybe some fun tantric witchcraft to get the energies flowing? :wink: So many possibilities… :kissing_heart: :sparkling_heart: :star_struck:

18 Likes

134 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Eclectic Witch: Interdisciplinary magick.

CHALLENGE ENTRY - Garnet, part 1

Just have one question. Are the elements considered individually or as a whole?

I want to talk about interdisciplinary Magick concerning each element.

Each of the four cardinal elements - earth, air, fire, and water - can be incorporated into one magical practice and ritual. Depending on your needs and intentions, you may find yourself drawn to one or more of these elements

Water is considered a feminine energy, connected with the Goddess. It has been and is used for healing, cleaning, and purification, in fact, in many beliefs, consecrated water (holy water) is used ritualistically for these reasons.
Many ancient spirits are associated with water. Dowsing is the ancient practice of using one’s senses and a forked stick, I’ve even used a pair of metal pliers to find water, or at least locate the place to dig for water. The water is tied to the moon or vice versa, creating a gravitational pull that makes our tides.

Fire is considered masculine energy and the element that spurs us on to do great things.
It is the energy and force behind our greatest and worst acts as humans. The fire element in witchcraft is the use of fire for magical purposes. This includes the use of candles, incense, fireplaces, torches, fire pits, bonfires, campfires, and any other form of fire used for magical purposes.

Air is a masculine element and is associated with the ethereal. it can activate your communication spells and open your mind to new ideas and possibilities. As water is feminine, the air is a masculine element, representing aspects of the mind, ie intelligence, and Knowledge

Earth is a feminine element and the ultimate Mother. It is our home and filled with unlimited energy from which one can draw for grounding, it is regarded as a symbol of abundance and stability. The earth is an element of strength and wealth.

OK. that is a very short description of the elements, but the actual value of each element is immeasurable in day-to-day living and in practicing our magick.
Each and every element is essential for life and without life, would there be magick?
I chose the elements because I’ve always been drawn to them, even as a child.

Blessed be
Garnet

22 Likes

@Garnet they be a synopsis of each element but they were very well done. A lot of times without specifically calling on the elements, they are still used with many magic, pagan, or other religions & beliefs systems even if not specifically stated as such. Great entry as always!

15 Likes

First of all, @Estrella, you did a lovely thing by saying goodbye to your kitty. Really, a beautiful ritual.

Secondly, welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots: I’m glad you feel comfortable stepping up and posting. If you need anything or have any questions ask and someone will help you. You have my condolences on the loss of your kitty.

16 Likes

I am sorry for your loss.

That was a beautiful ritual!

Welcome to the forum!!

17 Likes

I made a spiritual bath sachet. I scrubbed my body with coffee grounds. Rinsed them off and then I filled the bath using my sachet. I put lavender eucalyptus, patchouli in the sachet along with black obsidian, carnelian and amethyst.
Everything has the spirituality property. I have had so much good happen for me lately. I also did a spell that helped as well. If anyone’s interested, let me know amd I’ll add the link.

20 Likes

Eclectic Witch Challenge Entry @TheMuslimWitch
For this week’s challenge, i thought i would discuss the mentioned factors that makes me who i am as a eclectic witch, so here goes…

• :latin_cross: Religions or Religious Influences:
    As most know i am a Wiccan and Muslim also, ad these two religions very heavily influence who i am and the actions i take. To me me, neither are less equal than the other and in a sense i do not see myself a Muslim some of the time and a Wiccan the other, rather i am a unique Witch that incorporates both in my every day practice. I think this is special as it makes me a better person regardless of what some people may think who are either Muslim or Wiccan.

• :open_book: Philosophies:
    Obviously nature is one of many important philosophies in my craft, and studying both Wicca has helped me gain precious insight and knowledge to see through i much more beautiful lens which has completely unravelled my way of thinking and how my actions play out e.g- littering, being kind to all nature (although i have always been kind to nature however, i don’t randomly rip things off trees for the sake of it now and give thanks if i do pick something such as flowers etc).

• :older_woman: Heritage and Family:
    My family plays a role which i feel is in a sense such as how i was brought up. My mother although an Anglican Christian, was not the type of person who would block out all other opinions and shared experience, rather she was very accepting. I decided to become a Muslim at the age of 15, and not once did she say don’t do it or contradict my choice and the same goes for becoming a Wiccan. My current family (Husband and children) has affected how i practice i guess such as how i practice and share. I do not openly go and tell everyone i am Wiccan and i only choose to if i trust them. This is not because i am ashamed (clearly not as i wear all the crystals and have many Witch Badges on my bag when i go out), but rather i do not feel it is worth me being objected to their discrimination therefore if they would not change their mind about what i am then no point to waste my precious breath on them. In addition, i only do spells and rituals in my sacred space undisturbed as my partner is not too open to my practice therefore will make his mind about what i am doing regardless (usually says i am hexing him).

• :map: Locations and Local Traditions/Culture:
    Defiantly!!! Being in Australian is a blessing. We are one of the most Multicultural places on earth and you can see religions and beliefs galore here without discrimination. The law also is very serious about discrimination and one can be seriously charged for the act.

• :school: Education:
    Yes and no. I went to a Muslim school for a year and a bit in high school but mainly as the majority were Sunni Muslims and i am Shia with only 5 other shia girls (not sure how many boys as we were split up), i got to learn amazing things from my friends. Other wise mainstream public school had its affects such as bullying which i feel although a bad point in my life, it made me a kinder person and a great role model for my kids. In terms of Wicca, i never heard of it until 2 years ago.

• :angel: Deities:
    Yes yes yes!!! I feel Hekate has made me a stronger person and helps me to accept all factors of my personality even the qualities i would have usually try to ignore. As for Cernunnos i have become so aware of my own body and tha ti should accept it especially in terms of pleasure. I used to hate every aspect of my body even after loosing 52kgs but i feel so empowered now that i can actually enjoy my love making time with my husband rather than being an item for reproduction as i saw myself as. Also it made me realise the important part males play (even when sometimes my current partner drives me insane). Last but not least, Gaia. I could not be more please to have her as a deity. The give of nature she has brang and the love for nature i have found is the best gift to life. Just closing my eyes and appreciating the birds chirping or the wind blowing across my face cannot be compared!

• :spirit_element: Elements:
    No doubt about it! Elements where we accept it or not are everywhere. From the air i breathe, to the ground i walk on, to the water i drink and the fire i use to heat my meal. It is in every aspect and every second of my living life!

• :heart: Favorite Areas of Magick:
    Nature, crystals, spells, divination, meditation, tarot reading, researching the craft, herbs, scrying and honestly i know there are many i forgot but it is all too exciting and i would be here an eternity typing them out!

For my final word is thank you universe for me, the wonderful people of the world, for Wicca (including you Spells8 people), Islam, my deities and everything the natural world holds :blush: :heart:

22 Likes

134 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Eclectic Witch: Interdisciplinary magick.

CHALLENGE ENTRY - Garnet, part 2

In Part 1 of this challenge, I discussed the elements but one cannot work with the elements without comparing the seasons and the cycle of life including the cycles of life.

Air is the season of spring as it represents new beginnings and or infancy. It is also tied to dawn. Each morning when I get up, I share a cup of coffee with the dawn and discuss life with the universe.
Fire is the season of summer and the youth stage of life. Fire/Summer is tied to midday or noon. Spells involving physical action, energy, and passion are best done at noon in the summer.
Water represents maturity, so water is autumn. It has associated with twilight or dusk. Spells for Cleansing and purification, as well as mirror divination and lucid dreaming, should be essentially done at dusk.

Earth and Winter represent the last cycle of life. Old age. Use spells at midnight for grounding and achieving balance. Despite the end stage of life, the earth rules over growing plants, trees, and stones.

The Triple Goddess worship encompasses life as well as the elements.
The maiden represents beginnings, innocence beauty, and self-expression
Mother reveals ripeness (fertility), abundance, and protection
Crone is wisdom, power, and death.

Going back to “Circles” WWC # 131, 2/07/23
Circles also represent, the elements, seasons…essentially everything is associated with a circle.
Beginning, middle, and endings. I wish I could give you examples of each, but over the last year, I’ve shared much of my experiences and practice that I feel like I am The Eclectic Witch: And my practice is in Interdisciplinary magick.
Blessed be
Garnet

20 Likes

@Garnet I alwayss loooove your entries hun…:face_holding_back_tears: I don’t know but I am really fascinated, every time I read this wonderful information you provide sweetheart! I just love you and your wisdom too much…:heavy_heart_exclamation: :heartbeat: :heartpulse:

15 Likes

TheMuslimWitch
Your challenge entry was both illuminating and refreshing.
No one should or needs to wear a Pentagram on their sleeve advertising their beliefs. It’s asking to be bullied or put upon.
You are an intelligent, brave young woman. It took me 60 years to admit to my Witchhood. I’m not sure I would have been brave enough at your age.
I am honored to call you sister.
Garnet
@Solasta_Amore Adept Witch I always love your entries hun…: I don’t know but I am really fascinated, every time I read this wonderful information you provide sweetheart! I just love you and your wisdom too much…

Right back at ya, little love!

18 Likes

:kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :heart:

16 Likes

Awwww I’m happy you like them, Megan! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m going to have to start crediting RhymeZone as a co-challenge writer for how often I’m in there searching for words that rhyme :joy:

Can’t wait to see how you tackle the theme this week- good luck and have fun! :heart::blush:

Enjoy your time reflecting, Kasandra! :heart: It’s always worthwhile to dig deep into our roots and influences- there’s lots that might be uncovered, hopefully some new appreciation and understanding about one’s practice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks again for such a wonderful theme suggestion! :raised_hands:

I would say that the always changing and evolving nature of your Craft could be considered eclectic in and of itself! As you grow, you are learning more and more- adapting new ideas and experiences and evolving all the time. It’s exciting to look back on! :heart::blush:

Wishing you a very warm welcome, Andrea! :heart: Although my heart aches for your loss, I’m glad you were able to reach through the veil and connect with your sweet kitty once again. I am sure she is watching over you and sending her love :people_hugging: :two_hearts:

Thank you so much for your beautiful entry! I hope you make yourself at home here in the forum :blush: Blessed be!

If that’s what calling to you, go for it, Celestia! :partying_face: I know you specialize in tantric magick, so I’d be thrilled to hear whatever wisdom you have to share! (Just, depending on how detailed you explore the world of tantra, please remember to give it a nice home in A Sacred Space, to keep it private for the eyes of the coven :wink:)

Looking forward to reading your entry- have fun! :heart:

Not one but two lovely entries from the talented Garnet! This is a treat- that you so much for exploring both the elements and the seasons! :sparkles:

As for your question about whether the elements are considered individually or as a whole, I’d say both ways would be fine! Elements are kind of like how a person has individual limbs- each can be examined on their own, but when looking at the whole picture, they truly function in tandem/all together. Great question for magickal theory- it really makes you think! :nerd_face: :+1: :heart:

Beautifully said!!! :raised_hands: :blush: Looking at all the great entries across so many areas of wisdom and knowledge, I think you are a true master of interdisciplinary magick, Garnet! :tada::two_hearts:

It sounds absolutely lovely, and I bet it smelled amazing too! :heart: I’m glad many good things have been happening for you lately, Christina, goodness knows you deserve it- may there be many happy things soon to come too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And sure! You are very welcome to share the spell- feel free to drop the link! :blush:

A really beautiful and thoughtful entry exploring the many sides that come together and make you you- this is really well written and was a pleasure to read! :clap::blush: That you choose to wrap it all up with a note of gratitude shows how warm and big your heart is :heart: Sending lots of love to you too- keep on being amazing as you are! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

21 Likes