🎰 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Fortune Teller's Game

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - The Eclectic Witch :knot:

The diverse talents of the coven really shone brightly last week- I was so impressed with everyone’s entries that the many skills of the coven have been on my mind all week! :star_struck: As I pondered about a possible challenge that could continue to show off everyone’s talents, a very eclectic idea came to mind… :wink:

Building off of last week’s challenge, we are doing something slightly different than usual this week, so gather round and join in as we play…

Witch Challenge - Fortune Teller's Game

:game_die: :slot_machine: The Fortune Teller’s Game :magic_wand: :question:

Let’s see where fate guides you this week

Step right up and play a game! This week we are rolling the dice and leaving things in the hands of fate- so roll the dice and take note of your number! :game_die:

This game is respectfully inspired by the fortune telling process at certain shrines and temples around the world. If you’d like to learn more about the traditional process, click below- or you can skip ahead to begin the game!

Fortune Telling by Lucky Draw

The Fortune Teller’s Numbers

The idea for this challenge game comes from the fortune-telling process done in some shrines and temples in certain parts of the world :candle:

The process varies from one place to another, but in general you pay a small fee and will be presented with a big box with many sticks inside. You then shake the box multiple times, and turn it over- a small stick with a number will slide out. If you hand this stick to the priest or monk, they will look at your number and find the corresponding fortune for the day.

The fortune will range from great luck to absolutely awful luck- and everything in between. It may congratulate you, warn you, or give you advice about things in the future.

Although most popular at Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples in Japan, I also had my fortune told at temples in South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. It is a fun process that is available for both local worshippers and visitors alike- if you ever find yourself at a shrine or temple that offers this fortune telling service, I highly recommend giving it a try! :grinning:

This week we will be playing a digital version of the Fortune Teller’s game using the roll of our handy digital dice. And instead of receiving a fortune- you will be receiving a particular task or topic to accomplish.

What will you get? And what will you do with what you receive? While fate may guide your number, what you choose to do with it is all up to you! :raised_hands:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is a roll of the dice and test of creativity- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Roll the Dice! :game_die:

Pick 'em up and let 'em roll- or rather, let our little robot friend Discobot roll the dice for you! :robot:

Discobot is a friendly bot here to help in the forum. Some of you may know him from the Forum Tutorial. If you haven’t done the fun tutorial and learned how to use the forum with Discobot yet, I recommend it! (The tutorial is completely private- it takes place in your Private Messages).

In order to play this challenge game, you will need a number chosen at random. This is where our helpful forum bot steps in- he can roll dice for you!

To have Discobot roll a dice, all you need to do is:

1. Click “reply” at the bottom of this post
  2. In the text box that pops up, type the following (EXACTLY as shown!):
@discobot roll 1d10

It should look like this:

1. Click the blue “reply” button to send your post

Discobot will reply to your message with a random number- this is your number for the challenge! :star2:

Click here for a different method to get a number

If you’re having some trouble with Discobot or would rather use another method, you can go to this random number generator site- it will roll a random number for you between 1 and 10.

Click here to get a random number!

STEP 2 : Receive Your “Future” :scroll:

Once you have your number, click on it below. The message you receive will have a topic or task for you to accomplish this week.

If the fates allow, the topic given to you may be what you need to focus on this week! :sparkles:

If you got number 1…

Welcome, diviner- your task this week is to do a tarot or oracle spread! You can use any spread you would like (or you can design your own!). It can be as simple as a 1-card daily draw or as complex as a full deck spread.

If you do not have a tarot or oracle deck of your own yet, feel free to use these free printable tarot cards, or use the tarot card generator on the Daily Devotional page.

If you got number 2…

Relax- it’s time to meditate! Your task this week is to do a meditation (or design your own). You are free to use any style of meditation and focus on anything you wish. You might relax to sounds of nature, enjoy peace and quiet, or listen along with a guided meditation :person_in_lotus_position:

If you got number 3…

Welcome, potion brewer- your task this week is to make a potion or other magickal blend! There are many wonderful potion recipes out there, or you may choose to make your own.

If you’d like some more information about potions or would like some inspiration from what potions your fellow coven members have made in the past, I recommend taking a look at the Potion Brewing Challenge :cauldron:

If you got number 4…

Shields up! You’re due for some protection magick this week- after all, a little extra protection in place never hurts! :shield:

Protection spells can be done in many ways- a good place to start is by choosing what you want to protect. It could be your home, your pets, your family, yourself, your job, etc. Once you have a goal in mind, decide what method you’d like to use. From spells to spell jars, protective pouches, sigils and more- there are many mediums you might choose for your spellwork! Take a look at the Protective Spell Collection if you’d like some inspiration.

If you got number 5…

5 points on the pentacle for 5 elements in the Craft- you have been chosen for Elemental Magick this week! Whether you choose to pursue fire, earth, air, water, spirit or any combination of the elements, there are many possibilities available to you.

For some inspiration and ideas, you can visit the Elementals Page, the Elemental Mastery Challenge, or can look at each element individually- using any of the elements in spellwork, rituals, meditations, or crafting will count as your entry this week!

If you got number 6…

The moon is smiling upon you- She has chosen you for moon magick this week! :full_moon_with_face:

Moon magick is a staple in the Craft and an immensely popular area of magick. You may choose to work on this task by crafting moon water, charging under the moon, casting a moon spell, making offerings to a moon deity, or more. It is a Waning Moon this week, so feel free to check the Waning Moon Spell Collection for ideas and inspiration! :waning_gibbous_moon:

If you got number 7…

Lucky number 7- is that a ka-ching I just heard? Money is in your future this week- the fates have chosen financial spellwork for you! :moneybag:

From making a money bowl to casting money spells, using herbs associated with finances (such as basil or ginkgo) and more- there are many ways to improve finances and prosperity in the Craft! If casting money magick isn’t right for you, consider focusing less on the funds and more about prosperity and abundance- it might be for you, a family member in need, or an important cause that is close to your heart. The choice is yours!

If you got number 8…

Look beyond and don’t be afraid to cross borders- you have been chosen for Hedge Magick this week. This area of magick is boundless and open to interpretation. You might explore the world of Hedge Witchery, do some spirit work, wander into liminal spaces, or delve into the freeing world of Chaos Magick.

Be careful, but also be free- don’t be afraid to let loose a little this week!

If you got number 9…

It’s time to get cooking (or perhaps time to chow down)- I hope you’re hungry, because you’ve been chosen for Kitchen Magick this week! :bowl_with_spoon:

A delightfully delicious and creative area of the craft, kitchen magick is all about spellwork in the kitchen. You might open up your pantry and see what protection herbs and spices you have, cast while cooking, do a food or drink blessing, make a magickal recipe, or more. Have fun and be creative with your cooking/eating this week- bon appétit!

If you got number 10…

It’s time to light 'em up- you have been chosen to do a candle spell this week! :candle:

Candles come in many different colors, each of which represents a certain intention or type of blessing (here is a list of candle color meanings). If you don’t have a color to match your intention, a white or naturally-colored candle will be able to take on whatever wish you assign to it.

If you are not able to have a live flame, consider using a virtual altar (coven members only) or following along with a video of a flame- such as in the guided candle meditations.

All that’s left is to jump in and get started- whatever theme was given to you, may it be one that you find helpful and that you enjoy exploring! :heart:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 3 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 14 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-03-14T06:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Roll the dice and let fate choose-
In a game that’s for fun,
You have nothing to lose!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :slot_machine: :sparkles:

29 Likes

Giving a test roll!

@discobot roll 1d10

14 Likes

:game_die: 1

12 Likes

@discobot roll 1d10

13 Likes

:game_die: 4

12 Likes

4 is for a protection spell.

Perfect timing! A protection spell from illnesses is something I really need now until warmer days are here to stay. I think I will use apples. They’re my favorite fruit. And after all, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”.

Very unique challenge!

16 Likes

@discobot roll 1d10

13 Likes

:game_die: 10

11 Likes

It it is indeed something new and different! Hopefully it’ll be a fun one for everyone :blush: Right now I’m just happy that Discobot seems to be behaving well for everyone so far haha :grinning: :+1:

Good luck with your number 4! :shield::sparkles:

Nice roll, @Trixie_Thojrne- good luck with your number 10! :candle::sparkles::blush:

13 Likes

@discobot roll 1d10

11 Likes

:game_die: 7

9 Likes

@discobot roll 1d10

10 Likes

:game_die: 2

11 Likes

I enjoy all of the challenges, but this is a unique and fun twist! Very creative!

11 Likes

Let’s see what happens… :smile_cat:

@discobot roll 1d10

9 Likes

:game_die: 5

10 Likes

@discobot roll 1d10

10 Likes

:game_die: 6

10 Likes

I’ve never really did moon magick much so I’m so excited!!

13 Likes

Elemental magick, I like that~ :blush: :sparkles:

14 Likes