🌻 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Flower Power

Merry meet!

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Teas & Infusions :tea:

After stirring up and sipping down some delightful brews last week, it’s time to welcome in the Sabbat and enjoy the colorful delights of the season with a cheerful type of magick :hibiscus:

The theme for this week’s challenge celebrates the spring bloom in the north and the abundant harvest in the south- it was suggested by the lovely @Kasandra and is…

Flower Power Magick Challenge Herbs Plants Witchcraft

:sunflower::cherry_blossom: Flower Power :white_flower: :rose:

From essential components in beauty and glamour magick to a key element in both Herbal and Kitchen Witchery, from potent spell ingredients to an ideal offering for deities- flowers pack quite a punch when it comes to magick! :muscle: :blossom:

This week is all about exploring flower magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you! :star2:

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Art by Amanda Herzman: Witches’ Weeds

:warning: Although beautiful, not all flowers are safe- be aware of toxic, poisonous, and otherwise harmful plants! Please always be cautious when working with plants, especially those harvested from the wild.

STEP 1 : The Power of a Flower :blossom:

It’s hard to even know where to begin when it comes to using flowers in the Craft- there are so many ways they can be useful in your practice!

So, to help you get started, here are a few suggestions for ways you might enter the challenge:

:open_book: The Magickal Meaning of Flowers
You likely already know some of the meanings of flowers- roses for love, poppies for loss, etc. Every flower carries a magickal meaning (and some- but not all-have medicinal properties as well!)

Consider learning about a new flower this week, or perhaps take a favorite blossom and learn the magickal and/or medicinal benefits it carries- this is an essential part of Herbal Witchcraft! :open_book:

Roses in Magick
Rose-Magical-Properties-and-Uses-360x240

Lavender in Magick
Lavender-Herbal-Magic-360x240

Magickal Uses of Heather
Spiritual-Uses-of-Heather-360x240

Magickal Uses of Calendula
Calendula-Magickal-Uses-Properties

:handshake: Flower Correspondences
Which deity likes which flower? :bride_with_veil: When drawing on the planets, which flowers pertain to which celestial body? :ringer_planet:

Like many areas of magick, flowers have magickal correspondences- they relate and tie to other magickal areas. Through using these correspondences, something small can connect clearly with something big and bring your intention into reality- it is a worthwhile area to study! :open_book:

Here are a few correspondences for flowers and the planets:

Chart from Charms, Amulets, Talismans & Spells by Marian Green

:sparkles: Flower Spells
Consider working a spell that uses or is inspired by flowers- or perhaps design your own flower spell!

Fire Flowers: Love Spell
Flowers-Wiccan-Spell-Love-Candle-360x240

Love and Desire Spell
Love-and-Desire-Spell-Sachet-360x240

Flower of Life Crystal Grid
Crystal-grid-flower-of-life-thumb-360x240

:jar: Crafting with Flowers
From spell jars and oils to incense and salves- flowers are a popular ingredient in numerous forms of magickal workings.

Goddess of Love Incense
Goddess-of-Love-Incense-Recipe-360x240

Herbal Antiseptic Flower Ointment
Antiseptic-Ointment-DIY-Recipe-360x240

Home Blessing and Candle Dressing Oil
Candle-Dressing-Oil-3-360x240

:rose: Beauty Magick
Long associated with beauty, elegance, desire, and love- flowers are one of the most common ingredients in Beauty and Glamour Magick.

Aphrodite’s Bath Salts
Aphrodites-Bath-Salts-Recipe-DIY-360x240

Renewal Bath Spell
Bath-Spell-for-Self-Esteem-360x240

:triquetra: Flower Sigils & Symbols
With their geometric patterns and symmetry, flowers make for beautiful inspiration or outlines for magickal sigils and symbols.

A flower sigil will carry the magickal properties of the flower, honor a deity associated with it, and/or make a treasured blossom part of your own personal magickal symbol :white_flower:

To learn how to craft flower sigils and symbols, you may want to refresh your memory by reviewing the past Sigils & Symbols Challenge :pentagram:

:tada: Seasonal offerings for the Sabbat
Whether you are celebrating Ostara in the north or Mabon down south, the birth of spring and beginning of the harvest are both ripe times to draw on flower magick! Consider including flowers in your holiday by decorating with them, gifting them, offering them to your deity, and more.

→ :blossom: Ostara: Celebration Ideas

Flowers best suited for Ostara include: tulips, daffodils, crocus, snowdrops, and other local flowers in bloom

→ :sunflower: Mabon: Celebration Ideas

Flowers best suited for Mabon include: sunflowers, chrysanthemums, dahlia, Chinese lanterns, and other local flowers in bloom

Picture from Art Sphere: Fall Flowers and Meanings

:raised_hands: …And More!

There are as many ways to enter this challenge as there are types of flowers- that is to say, a lot!

Allow your creativity to bloom freely and rest assured that you can approach this challenge in a way that best suits your unique magickal practice :blush:

witch-hat-flowers
Picture from Dream Maker Creative: Wood Flower Witch Hat Workshop

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

To participate in the challenge, please share:

1. About your experience with flowers in your magickal practice this week

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 22nd at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-03-22T06:00:00Z )

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

From the Old Farmer’s Almanac: The Language of Flowers

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Art by Iroiise: Green Witch

Roses are red,
Violets are blue-
Your magick is beautiful,
And so are you!

Blessed be! :sunflower::sparkles:

27 Likes

Ohh hmm… :thinking: I’m not sure what I’ll do for this one!

12 Likes

Exciting! I can’t wait to dive into this one! Thanks @BryWisteria :smiley: :sunflower: :hibiscus: :tulip:

12 Likes

Hmm, I just got some lavender tea, I may do something with that. Not to carry over last week’s challenge so much as there are no flowers popping up where I’m at yet and the grocery store is expensive!

13 Likes

I’m definitely in on this one! Should be fun!

13 Likes

Oh, this will be fun! I think I might do something with Bach Flower Remedies/Essences! :hibiscus: :rose: :blossom: :cherry_blossom: :bouquet: :lotus:

11 Likes

I am sure I can come up with more stuff to do but when I saw the topic I immediately thought of something I did today that’s related to flowers and magic. Well I think it is. You know how you charge things in the moonlight well I had some sunflowers given to me recently that I’d allowed to dry when they had too quickly went floppy so I couldn’t put in a jar or vase so the are a decoration and a piece of nature indoors and today I thought of ( as sunflowrrs are yellow and as I work with Lugh who is a sun God and the deity I dedicated Sunday too which of course is yellow) I had the idea to put the dried sunflowers in the sun to be charged with that sun energy especially as so close to the full moon. I don’t know it was just am idea I had but I thought maybe doing so might bring that sun energy inside and help bring positivity and sunshine so to speak even when I’m stick inside. It was a bit cloudy today. But I left them out most of daylight. I’m working tommoeiw so can’t do again tommorow but the day of full moon and for next week finally on leave so I can do that more.
I have an idea since this week to come I’d hoped to get out into nature one thing I do is collect offerings n pieces of nature for my deities and to bring nature indoors. I don’t pull off trees but I collect what nature has given already ( and thank it) by if I see something on footpath of out and about like leaves and flowers, rocks, shells or feathers. Freya for me if someone that likes flowers so often my flowers as offerings are for her. I do like to dry flowers given to me so I can keep them for longer and use around the home.
I’ll have to think of other ways to explore the flower power topic and what else I can do for this challenge but when I saw the topic my brai
totally just jumped to the sun flowers I’d charged in the sun today n thought I’d share. Can you charge flowers too. I don’t know maybe other ppl think it’s silly but it was just an idea I had and thought I’d give it ago. Maybe it fits the theme this week. I’m not sure but I thought I’d share incase maybe it’s helpful to others or maybe spark another idea for someone else. Any ways hope everyone is doing well. Lol I was going to do my regular way I end texts here and realised it was flowers n the theme was flowers lol well if it’s relevant maybe I’ll still do it even if maybe feels a lil cheesy now that I realised it. Hope you all have a great day :rose::cherry_blossom::bouquet::hibiscus: :grin:

17 Likes

Being that warmer weather is here in the Northern hemisphere, I have been walking around my neighborhood and in my yard looking for a few flowers peeking through. Unfortunately I have seen none. Not even dandelions.
So I thought I would mention my favorite flower. The scarlet carnation. It is the state flower of my birth state( Ohio) and lasts quite a while after being cut. I found a carnation last month in a laundromat parking lot and preserved it in wax and it is now a part of my main alter

When flowers do start blooming, I will pick some(my yard) and place them on my newly made seasonal/holiday alter.

14 Likes

Had to think for a moment on what to do since I’ve done virtually every thing suggested at some point in my practice. I decided to make some Water of Norte Dame since I’ve been studying the Witch’s Apothecary of the site lately. :relaxed:

14 Likes

Originally, I was going to write about flowers and their uses, then I tripped over this wonderful oral history of a native American Tribe. Delighted and excited, I felt a need to share it with you.

Medicine According to Cherokee Legend

The Old Ones say that at one time all of Creation spoke the same language. The plants could communicate with the finned ones, the four-leggeds could speak with the trees, the stones could talk with the wind, and even the most dependent, most pitiful part of creation, the two-leggeds, or as we have come to call ourselves, the humans, could also speak with the other parts of creation. All existed in harmony. The plants, the animals, and the elements of the Four Directions (all existence) all knew that if the two-leggeds were to survive, they would need help.

The animals gave of themselves, willingly sacrificing, so that the humans could have food. They knew that their skins were much better suited to survival than that of the humans, so they allowed their skins to be taken and used for clothing and shelter. The Finned ones, The Fliers, and the Crawlers also allowed themselves to be used by the humans, to insure their survival.

The Plant people, the Standing people (trees), and the Stone People (rocks) freely gave of themselves so that the humans had what they needed for food, clothing, and shelter. An agreement was forged that the two-leggeds would ask permission for these gifts, give thanks for the sacrifice, and take no more than they needed. And so, it was good.

Read the rest of the article by clicking here!

Thank you for letting me share this with you. A history that was almost lost with the decimation of the Cherokee peoples.
Blessed be
Garnet

:warning: Moderator Notice: This post has been edited to follow the proper guidelines when sharing information from an outside source.

22 Likes

I feel this way too, and I feel happy and blessed surrounded by them in the nature. We’re the same life and love. Spring makes me come alive too, seeing everything around me starting to bloom! :rose: :blush: :hibiscus:

I don’t like picking flowers myself, I prefer watching them thrive where they are. Breathing in their lovely scent and very gently feeling their soft petals. :relaxed: I sometimes talk to them, telling them how sweet they are and wishing them well. :heart:

15 Likes

I did get this beautiful rose from my tantra instructor… :relaxed: :two_hearts:

18 Likes

I actually started this week’s challenge last week. I have these beautiful flowers and they smell wonderful. I was going to pick some and make a room spray and anointing oil with them. One of the names for this plant is Carolina Jasmine. I was looking it up online and found out it was Carolina Jasamine and it is POISONOUS! Be careful with the beautiful flowers. The bee’s and butterflies love it.

17 Likes

@Ostara I’m a bit like you and I kind of started something for this challenge last week too. Mum and I took the boys to Bunnings over the weekend (basically the version of Home Depot here in Australia). They rode in their chariot - they love a trip to Bunnings so many people stop and pay them attention and they get treated to a sausage sizzle on the way out. Yup we totally go get the jokes about putting them on the BBQ.

Any who back to the point, as you do the obligatory wander around the whole store even though you actually only wanted one or two specific things I found myself in the plants - again. I found these little grow from seed kits. They’re so cute in their little buckets. Like ridiculously cute. They are just ador- ra-ma- bubbles.

Images source: https://www.bunnings.com.au

I wanted a new Lavender bush that I can use specifically in my spell work and bits n bobs. And I just thought growing one from seed would be just that little bit more personal to me. And then I saw the sunflower and I just couldn’t leave that one behind. I like the fact that it says “guaranteed to grow” hmmm let us test that theory shall we.

I want to love him and squeeze him and name him George.

Image source: Pinterest

21 Likes

The boys are precious! I have a few of those pots that I’m planting on Sunday. According to Llewellyn’s Witches Datebook it’s supposed to be a good planting day and Happy Ostara!

13 Likes

Ooo thank you for that. Maybe my wee little plant-lings may stand half a chance!

11 Likes

Growing up I don’t ever remember a time when my mom didn’t have plants. She had so many everywhere. They were In every room. She talked to them and loved them and nourished them and they were all beautiful but I thought she was nuts talking to the plants. She told me if I could quiet my brain down enough that I could hear what they had to say. Again I thought she was nuts.
Fast forward and I was out living on my own with my new husband ( jerk of a husband) and two babies under two and she gave me starters off all her plants, over the course of the next 18 years I had two more babies, and countless plants that I had killed and would feel so terrible that I would bury them back in the earth. I couldn’t keep them alive, no matter what I did. She told me again once I could quiet my mind I would hear them and I could keep them alive . I didn’t believe her and told everyone I just didn’t have the green thumb she did.
My mom suffered from Parkinson’s over the course of three years she quickly deteriorated as did her plants. Every time I would come over I would see a new plant dead and also watched pieces of her die as well. All the plants I had watched her take such precious care of my whole life were now nothing and those to I put back in the earth.
My mom died in early 2019, when she passed there wasn’t a single plant left in her home. Her funeral however had plants everywhere more than my sister and I knew what to do with. So I carefully picked two and brought them home with me. These plants and I have been through some major life changes but I was finally able to hear them. Now I spend time talking to my plants, nourishing them, telling them my issues, talking to them and listening. I often hear how proud of me she is through these plants.
Hopefully this weekend it stays warm enough where I live that I can fill my deck with new Flowers :bouquet: :cherry_blossom: :hibiscus: for a Happy Ostara.

They talk to us and if we listen, we can hear them. @Garnet as I read what you had wrote this single sentence brought tears to my eyes and made my heart swell. I hadn’t heard this in years and as I read it I heard her voice. Thank you @Garnet for letting me hear her voice through your post.

21 Likes

Your plants are beautiful. I read somewhere about an experiment with plants. You take two plants. One you talk to sweetly and the other one you say ugly things to it. The first one will thrive and the second one will be sickly. I have never tried it because I don’t want to be mean to a plant, but I thought that was interesting. Plants are like people. Show them love and they thrive, treat them bad and they will be sickly.

10 Likes

rachel21Adept Witch
My dearest, darling girl, your writing struck me as profound. Your mom was right.
Quiet the house, put your plants in sunlight and talk to them, or play music. They don’t always answer you in words but by showing you their inner beauty.
Blessed be
Garnet

10 Likes

Good morning everyone! I know I am late to the party, it’s been quite the last couple of weeks! However I wanted to quickly say to @Phoenix_Fire - @flowing - @Garnet - @Ostara - @jessica72 - @rachel21

Great entries so far ladies! Wonderful job! :tada:

I haven’t decided which flower :hibiscus: I want to work with for this one :thinking: I have Calendula in a salve & a bottle of offering water made with Calendula & Hibiscus :white_flower: for Lugh :triquetra: . I did fall in love with Nasturtium last year & actually bought some climbing Nasturtium to go up a couple of Oak :deciduous_tree: trees in my yard.

(A young girl, but a few years older than Peanut, found my son’s black can of spray paint & decided to draw on the trees & got Peanut to use it on one. Peanut is no longer in contact with the girl, she moved out of the neighborhood & is now in high school)

I plan on planting the climbing ones around the base of two of the oak trees. I will also plant some more in my garden because, despite other types of plantings, these flowers actually do BETTER when left to their own defenses/devices… & continually bloom over & over again from Spring to Fall. They are gorgeous oranges, yellows, whites, reds.

Image Source Credit - Unsplash

I am going to look through my photos because I remember my husband cleaning out the garden at the end of the season & we had a pile of the remnants from what came out of the garden & somewhere in it was the Nasturtium. In the middle of a mix filled with leaves, tree leaves, weeds, & dead plants from the harvest… the flowers still bloomed on top of it all! I have pictures of them & I just have to find them. :star_struck: So… I’ll be back… :rofl:

18 Likes