šŸ§‘ā€šŸ« Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Teachers of Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge- Magickal Symbols & Sigils :pentagram:

After perusing the many magickal symbols and wielding sigils crafted with care, itā€™s time to tip our witchy hats in respect to those who helped us to get to where we are in our magickal journeys today :pray:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

Witch Challenge Magic History Teachers Legend

:teacher: :magic_wand: Teachers of Magick :mage: :books:

Where would we be if not for the efforts of those who came before us? The wealth of magickal wisdom at our wandtips today is thanks to the many witches and practitioners who handed down their knowledge :handshake:

Whether it is a prominent figure in your magickal sect, a talented witchcraft author, your deity in their human form, or perhaps your own personal magickal tutor or teacher, or other- take some time this week to look back on how they have influenced your magickal practice :sparkles:

This week is all about acknowledging your magickal teachers - but as always, how you do so is up to you! :star2:

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Art by Sara Dā€™Uva: My Grandmother is a Witch

STEP 1 : Those Who Helped You Get to Here :teacher:

As always, there are many ways to approach the challenge this week- but the best place to get started is with a reflection to help you find your magickal teachers.

A few questions you might ask yourself include:

ā†’ Was there someone who influenced my decision to practice magick?

ā†’ Do I have a parent/grandparent/sibling/neighbor/friend/etc who helped me on my journey?

ā†’ Is there a magickal/occult author whose works I was able to learn from?

ā†’ Is there a prominent figure- historical or fantastical- who inspired me?

ā†’ Do I have a student-teacher relationship with my deity/deities or guardian spirits?

ā†’ Have I learned from others, myself, or a mix of both?

Once you have a good idea about what ā€œmagickal teacherā€ means to you and your practice, you are ready to dig deeper :mag: :blush:

Art by Unknown, source from Mocah

Here are just a few suggestions of ways you might approach this challenge!

:open_book: Learn more about your magickal teacher

They have given so much to you- consider learning more about them!

If your teacher isā€¦

• a famous witch/wizard/practioner from history: learn more about their life story :books:
  • someone close to you: have a talk with them about their own magickal journey :two_women_holding_hands:
  • a deity or spirit: research their story or consider asking them through communication :ghost:

:open_hands: Give thanks

After taking the time to acknowledge your magickal teacher, you might find ways to show your appreciation for their help on your journey.

You mightā€¦

• make offerings to a teacher figure who is your deity, spirit guardian, or ancestor :place_of_worship:
  • write a letter of gratitude to them and send it- through the mail or through a ritual offering :love_letter:
  • do a gratitude meditation :person_in_lotus_position:
  • if they are an author, write a positive review on their book or author page :white_check_mark:

:handshake: Pass along their wisdom

For all that was given to you, consider passing it along to another eager magick-lover! You donā€™t need to take on an apprentice or anything of that scale- by simply sharing about your magickal teacher and how they helped you, you might in turn be helping someone else :blush:

• share about your magickal teacher and how they helped you- what was the most valuable thing you learned from them? :sparkles:
  • if your teacher was a creator, consider leaving a link to their content so others can learn too :computer:
  • feel free to recommend the books and authors that helped you most on your journey! :books:
  • if your teacher is a deity, consider writing a bit about how you found and connected with Them :angel:

:raised_hands: ā€¦And More!

Who is your magickal teacher? What did they teach you, and how have they influenced your practice so far?

With these questions on your mind, feel free to explore the theme this week in any way that calls to you! :sparkles:

Art by James Barry: The Education of Achilles

STEP 2 : Share Your Thoughts :writing_hand:

Please click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience

To participate in the challenge, please share:

1. About your magickal teacher(s)- who are they and how have they influenced your practice?

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, March 8th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-03-08T06:00:00Z )

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

249376d1f5853550545f4309b0893403
Photo by Unknown, shared on Pinterest

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Art by Joshua Cairos: Spirit Teacher

The guidance of the divine or a loved one at home-
You have support on your side wherever you roam.

From witches of legend or within books of old,
Ask and youā€™ll find that all can be told.

You carry the blessing of those who came before,
Who watch over students of magick for ever more!

Blessed be! :teacher::sparkles:

25 Likes

Oooā€¦ gonna have to spend some time in the think tank about how to do this one. I think I am going to start with my reappearance in my craft because I was away from it so long & the people that initially piqued my curiosity are no longer around me. So, weā€™ll start when it became a regular part of my daily life. Now how to break down who/what is/was my magickal teacher. :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

14 Likes

Before I joined the forum, Scott Cunningham was my magickal teacher. His books provided all the knowledge that I needed as a new practitioner of magick. Iā€™ll have to think about what I can do to show my appreciation towards him.

17 Likes

Because I have learned so much here I would like to thank @Francisco for starting Spells8 and our amazing coven.

I would also like to thank @BryWisteria @Garnet @MeganB for helping make this a family. You guys are all so friendly and helpful and caring.

Iā€™m planning on doing a few meditations over the next few days with different dieties that have pecked my intuition and kicked off a spree and questions and searching both on the internet and in my soul, then make offerings to each in the most way.

21 Likes

I have to thank my Mom. She bought me the Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. She bought me Cat Magic, by Whitley Strieber. That one is loosely based on Circle Sanctuary if I remember correctly, itā€™s been a good twenty years since I read it. She bought me my first two Wicca books, one of which was Amber K.'s True Magick which is a very good beginner book thatā€™s not talked about much. At least I thought it was good.

My Mom bought me my first pentacle. I lost it ages ago but I have a copy of it. She accepted me and encouraged me. Took me to book stores and to the only metaphysical shop is sixty miles. She may not have known much about paganism, but she had a magic of her own.

19 Likes

I would have to :100: agree with @Torista! If @Francisco had not created Spells8 and the amazing Spells8 community that has come with it I would have never even dreamed that I could be a witch.

What is a teacher? It refers to a person who helps others to learn. In this context, it is used to refer to a person who facilitates learning. - What is Teacher | IGI Global

Isnā€™t that what this whole community is all about? We share our thoughts and ideas, we answer one anotherā€™s questions, we share new things that we have learned ourselves and discovered.

I always watched in awe as others practiced but I never thought I could do it myself. I never wanted to ever disrespect anyone who does practice by being a complete novice and honestly I was so worried about being completely rubbish at the craft.

Finding this community has by far been my greatest discovery to date. If it has not been for the information and courses available on the site and the never ending love and support from my beautiful witchy family here (I would love to name everyone individually but there are just so many) so when I say everyone I literally mean everyone within this community who has offered me nothing but love, support, guidance and sometimes just an ear to listen, or an eyeball to read - hmmm same difference I guess.

Your never ending patience with me, reassurance and advice has give me so much confidence within myself that I can do this , I am a witch and there isnā€™t any reason why I canā€™t be good at it.

I truly am grateful to each and every one of you! Thank you for adopting me and welcoming me. The members in this community have by far been my ever patient teachers. I love you all. Each and every one of you.

I would also like to credit the written works of Sarah Bartlett. I do seem to share her work quite a bit. I have I think about 6 books of hers that I use quite a bit. Wait soon to be 7. I just pre-ordered another one lol. ā€˜The Little Book of Crystal Magicā€™

19 Likes

Miss Torista, thank
If Francisco were to give me a list of all our members, I donā€™t think I could pick three. Each member has so much to offer in this wonderful nest of safety that was created by Francisco. You have come a long way lovely child.
But I sincerely thank your for your wonderful compliment.
Blessed be
Garnet

17 Likes

I love this. Thank you @francisco for this wonderful site. I have learned so much from all of you and continue to learn everyday.

17 Likes

Iā€™ve had so many lovely teachers, here and outside, who have helped me so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think Iā€™ll try to make a kind of timeline of growing into my power and practice, and of everyone who helped me along the way, and send them all some extra love and gratitude :relaxed:

(Cute coincidence, Iā€™m going to be meeting my tantra coach this weekend, for a 7 hour intensive course involving all kinds of fun group rituals and body and energy work - canā€™t wait! :smile_cat:)

17 Likes

When I think of my magical journey, it really started with my step mother giving me my first crystals & teaching me about sun signs. I practiced with a friend of mine named Lisa for a couple of years. However, when I finally embraced my path I had more than just 1 teacher.

• Pagan Portals
  • Spells8 Courses
  • Spells8 Forum
  • Infinite Roots Coven - :infinite_roots:
  • Danu Forest
  • Morgan Daimler
  • Courtney Weber
  • Stephanie Woodfield

I canā€™t name just a few of any of them really. Most importantly is the feeling of family & wholeness in the Spells8/Infinite Roots :infinite_roots: coven. Without the staff & all of the participating members, my learning wouldnā€™t have been so encompassing. I have learned more about the specifics of my path & worked on my intuition & have received clarity as time has passed. I have learned so many things from so many members & made some lifelong friends.

16 Likes

I do not think Iā€™ve participated in a weekly challenge yet and Iā€™m so excited about this one. Iā€™ve had a lot going on in my life and today Iā€™ve started a real, life changing journey in multiples ways and I am so nervous but I NEED it. Part of life is getting somewhere learning something and I cannot wait to share my experience with you all this week!:blush::blush:

15 Likes

@Kasandra Excellent choice, Kasandra! I think Scott Cunninghamā€™s works are a guiding light, especially to those just beginning on their magickal journey! I know they will be around for a long, long time helping generation after generation of new magickal students pursue their Craft :sparkles::blush:

@Torista Awww Torista, you are so kind! :heart: Thanks to you too for being a part of this big coven family :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :infinite_roots: Wishing you all the best with your deity meditations over the coming days- I hope you can find the answers to all of your questions! :pray:

@Amethyst I offer my thanks to your mom too, Amethyst, because it sounds like it was thanks to her that you found your way here. And the coven is better because of your presence here! :people_hugging::heart: We are all lucky that she supported and helped you find your very own magick :pray::two_hearts:

@Jessica72 Beautiful reflection on what it means to be a teacher, and I think it is so wonderful how you found that meaning in the community as a whole! :heart_eyes: I want to quote everything youā€™ve written- I felt tears welling up as I read your words, Jessica, itā€™s a powerful thing youā€™ve written here. The community is truly blessed to have you here too- thanks for making this an even brighter place! :sun_with_face: Big hugs and lots of love to you too :two_hearts:

@Ostara Thank you for all that you share and give too, Linda! :heart::blush:

@CelestiaMoon That sounds lovely- enjoy making your timeline, and I hope you have a wonderful course this weekend, Celestia! :grinning:

@Susurrus That is a really nice reflection on your practice, Siofra- look at all of the teachers you have had along the steps of your journey so far! It is really cool to see how they have brought you to where you are today :blush: I share your feelings there, itā€™s amazing what a good environment and support system can do for learning :two_hearts: The community is blessed to have you as part of it- lots of love back to you, Siofra!

@Janae_Rochele Welcome! :heart: Congrats on your big journey and the steps you are taking forward in your life- that is so exciting! :star2: You are very welcome to join the challenge, and I look forward to hearing about the magickal teachers who have helped you on your path so far! Good luck and have fun with it :blush:

17 Likes

Scott definitely has an amazing wealth of information. Iā€™ve a few of his books as well. My favorite is A guide for the Solitary Practitioner. His book of shadows is in thereā€‹:mage:t3::heart:

16 Likes

Thank you, Bry. Youā€™re making me blush, but I am glad I found my way here. You all mean so much to me!

16 Likes

Lovely Janae,
Not to worry. These challenges are meant to help you expand your boundaries. You can delve into the sublime, or the uncomfortable. Youā€™ll be surprised how many of us agree with you ! Or best yet, weā€™ll comfort you.
Thatā€™s what love is all about.
Tell us if your experience/adventure was, good or bad. We, in a way are like a group of kids playingā€¦which is the best way to exchange ideas and learn new things. {Hmm, sounds like the UN.)
Iā€™m looking foreword to your entry.
Rememberā€¦Have fun.

Blessed be
Garnet

16 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria, I really had to think about where my learning got started & what has kept it moving forward. Spells8, the forum & the coven :infinite_roots: Iā€™ve pretty much branched out to different aspects but the central point is this community.

13 Likes

This will be a challenge to do for me, as the person that got me interested in Witchcraft was my ex-boyfriend and I was hoping for him to help me learn the trade of being a Witch. If it was not for @Francisco designing & creating Spells8 and for the Universe having me come across it on the internet, I might not even be here and have learned so much, & still learning. I look at @Amethyst @Susurrus @BryWisteria & @MeganB I have learned so much just from all of you and am thankful to be here.

17 Likes

We are happy :smiling_face: that you are here also! You are such a great part of the coven & your contributions are insurmountable. Iā€™m happy that you are comfortable here & making so much progress while being inspired to learn more. :heart:

15 Likes

My heart goes out to you, @Debra2, and I am sorry if this challenge brings up some difficult memories and feelings for you :people_hugging:

Although this challenge is about honoring teachers, it is true that- just like with many people in life- some teachers leave us with knowledge or inspiration and then we part ways with them, and not always on a good note. Sometimes we have difficult relationships with our teachers. Sometimes our teachers may not even be good people at all!

But whether the ending was good or bad, those who we consider to be our teachers helped us get to where we are today. I like to think that we are all stronger, better, and more compassionate from what weā€™ve learned- even if some of the lessons were hard or painful to overcome.

It can certainly be hard to look back and I donā€™t blame you or anyone else at all for choosing to set aside this challenge for the time being. Your mental health always comes first! :heart: If reflecting opens up painful things for you, there is never any issue with stepping back and taking a healthy breather. And after all, there will always be more chances in Catch-Up Challenges in the future to come back and revisit it if and when you feel ready! :blush:

Lots of love and big hugs your way, Debra- blessed be! :sparkles:

15 Likes

@debra2 Iā€™m sorry that your original teacher has left a your life, but the mark he left led you here & we love having you here. If you have anything you need clarification or a question about, please feel free to ask or reach out. :infinite_roots:

14 Likes