🧵 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Knot Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Culinary Magick :woman_cook:

Full from all of the delicious delicacies last week, it’s time to wrap up in the kitchen and tighten our belts- we’re tying up loose ends and stringing together some magick this week!

The theme for this week’s challenge is…

Knot Magick Spells8 Challenge

:thread: :knot: Knot Magick :yarn::sparkles:

Have you ever heard of the string of destiny, held in the hands of the Three Fates of Greek legend? Or perhaps you know about the red thread of fate that binds people together in Asian folklore?

From weaving wishes into works of art, braiding protection into locks of hair, sailors tying hope into ship knots, and more- string and its many forms have long been a medium for magick of all sorts.

Be it rope, string, twine, yarn, or thread- by tying your intention into knots and stitches, anyone can create a beautiful craft or useful piece that will hold their wishes for many years to come.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is about knot magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

From the Mindful Word: Loose Threads: Life and Death in Greek Mythology

STEP 1 : Tie in Some Magick! :knot:

This challenge is about knot magick- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Knot Magick :thread:

From ship knots to friendship bracelets, witch ladders to woven decorations, crochet, knitting and so much more- there are many ways for a witch to tie in some magick to their day!

How to Make a Witches’ Ladder
Witches-Ladder-Meaning-thumb

Red String Bracelet - Protection from Evil Eye
Red yarn bracelet wool

Celtic Heart Knot - A Little Knotty Magick
8a6b363224bf9e205d2befff6934a3b95d42f7ff_2_562x750

Creative Crochet - Blue Beanie
3df367ae16257e8977c3f3619f12c6d5beee5580_2_375x375

Witch Braid Knot Magick by @Silverbear

Knot Magick for Money

Reflection Ladder

Cutting Cords :scissors:

Just as the threads of fate are woven, so too can they be cut- sometimes, when a situation isn’t working out or it’s time for change, knot magick can be used to cut cords and bring about a fresh new start.

Cutting Ties - Spell to Release Negative Connections
Cutting-Ties-spell-to-release

How to Cut Ties - Simple Cord Cutting Ritual
Cut-the-Cord-Header-min

Cord Cutting Spell: Wiccan Spiritual Healing Meditation
Cord-Cutting-Ritual-Spell-360x240

Let Me Go… A Cord Cutting

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore amulets and talismans in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

For additional ideas and inspiration, feel free to explore the coven’s entries to the previous knot magick challenge:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

DIY Yule Charm by @silverbear

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, June 20 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2023-06-20T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is EDT- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

From Knotty Magick: Knot by @berta

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

From Knotty Magick: Knot by @Jeannie1

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Needle threaded and intentions set,
The knots you make will not forget.
So sew your dreams and weave your plans
Your thread of fate in your hands!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed be! :thread::sparkles:

21 Likes

I’ve read about knot Magick but never really done it, so this will be a new skill for me. :sparkling_heart:

17 Likes

Ooo… I think :thinking: I have an idea for this one! Now just to figure out where I put the materials :rofl:

17 Likes

I’m thinking of a spell to loosen the cords of social media and news outlets. Recently, I’ve been spending more time than I should “doom scrolling” and it’s having a negative impact on my mind.

18 Likes

Oh my Gods, I know exactly what I’m going to do! I was even going to order more supplies for this project today! So first, here’s a peak at one I’ve already finished. I’m going to be making more, and this time, adding a scalloped edging and some shiny dangly things!

Pattern is by Morale Fiber

The next one I make is going to be in specific colors with specific trinkets to help bring harmony and balance to my home :heart:

26 Likes

Well… just adding this pattern to my crochet files :rofl:

14 Likes

haha I knew I’d enable someone – this one was a trial run, hence why the tree isn’t all the same color :joy: the next one will either be all the same color for everything or the tree one color and everything else a different color. I haven’t decided yet :laughing:

14 Likes

This is so cool it reminds me of the infinite roots you did a really good job with this. :infinite_roots:

14 Likes

Oh my! That’s a wonderful piece, @MeganB! You’re so talented!

14 Likes

Yay for new challenges! I know what I’m doing… I’ve never seen a reflection ladder before but I loved the video and the idea of it so I’ve got it all planned out, just need to put up twine or brown ribbons tomorrow!

Plus I do braid my hair at least twice a day so I could be more conscious and braid my intentions in at the beginning of the day!

You know me, if I can make something new, I’m happy :smiley:

14 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge- Knot Magick Entry @TheMuslimWitch

I wanted to share a lovely chant i have had in my grimoire for ages i haven’t tried yet to say when using knot magick:

:knot:By knot of one, the spell begun.
:knot:By knot of two, the magick comes true.
:knot:By knot of three, so it shall be.
:knot:By knot of Four, this power is stored.
:knot:By knot of five, my will shall drive.
:knot:By knot of six, the spell i fix.
:knot:By knot of seven, then future i leaven.
:knot:By knot of eight, my will be fate.
:knot:By knot of nine, what is done is mine.

I also wanted to share this cute tote bag i take with me on my walks i just finished crocheting. It is only the second thing i tried so apologise to all my experts in advance :blush:

My mum just finished this blanket I asked her to crochet if different coloured evil eyes for my lounge bed in my sacred space:

23 Likes

Omg so beautiful!!! :star_struck: is there a tutorial where I can learn? Sooooo stunning!!’

13 Likes

20 Likes

What is a witch’s ladder?

A witch’s ladder is one of those fantastic things we sometimes hear about, but rarely see. Its purpose is similar to that of a rosary - it is basically a tool for meditation and ritual, in which different colors are used as symbols for one’s intention. It is also used as a measuring tool because in some spell operations there is a need to repeat the task a certain number of times. You can use the ladder to track your number by running the feathers or beads along.

Traditionally, the witch’s ladder is made with red, white and black thread and then nine different colored feathers or other items are woven. You can find different variations in metaphysical stores or you can make your own. The witch’s ladder pictured was made by Ashley Grow of LeftHandedWhimsey and includes the sea glass, pheasant feathers and charms.Story of the Witch’s Staircase
Although many of us in the modern Pagan community use witch ladders, they have been around for quite some time. England’s Chris Wingfield: The Other Inside, describes the discovery of a witch’s staircase in Somerset during the Victorian era. This particular subject was donated in 1911 by Anna Tylor, the wife of the anthropologist EB Tylor. It was accompanied by a note that read, in part,An 1887 article in The Folk-Lore Journal detailed the object more specifically, according to Wingfield, and when Tylor presented it at a banquet that year “two members of the audience stood up and told him that they thought the object was a towel and would have been held in the hand to turn the deer when hunting.” In other words, the Somerset scale could be used for this purpose, rather than maliciously.

Tylor later recanted and said he “never found the necessary confirmation of the statement that such a thing was actually used for witchcraft.”

In the 1893 novel Mrs. Curgenven of Curgenven, author Sabine Baring-Gould, an English priest and hagiographer, goes even further into the folklore of the witch’s staircase, based on her fairly extensive research in Cornwall. He described the use of a witch’s ladder made of brown wool and tied with thread, and the creator, as he weaves the wool and thread together with a selection of rooster feathers, adds the physical ailments of the intended recipient. Once the ladder was completed, it was thrown into a nearby lake, taking with it the aches and pains of the sick and the sick.
SPELL
With the knot of one, the spell began.
With a knot of two, magic becomes reality.
With a knot of three, that’s how it will be.
With a knot of four, that power is stored.
With a knot of five, my will will lead.
With a knot of six, the spell I make.
With node seven, the future I leaven.
With a knot of eight, my fate will be fate.
With node nine, what is done is mine.
https://el.eferrit.com/τι-είναι-η-σκάλα-της-μάγισσας/

18 Likes

@crystal59 – thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s the Tree of Life, which makes sense with the Infinite Roots symbol, too :infinite_roots: :heart:

@Amethyst – Aww, thank you! :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I ordered more hoops today and I’m just about to order some more yarn. I’m gonna add these to my shop, but they’re also going to be in a physical store soon!

@Artemisia – I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

@TheMuslimWitch – I’ve always loved that chant! I’m not sure where I first heard it, but it’s one that stays in my head. :yarn: Your tote bag looks great! You did a wonderful job for only your second try :clap: amazing!

And the link to the pattern, with a tutorial, is under the picture I posted :blush: it’s a free pattern by Morale Fiber!

@AIRAM – That’s a beautiful witch’s ladder. Thank you for sharing the link!

11 Likes

Very cool! I bet they will be popular!

11 Likes

I’m hoping so!

11 Likes

Thanks for posting that I couldn’t remember where I wrote the chant down :blush:

11 Likes

Thanks to @MeganB for your inspiration. I looked up a tutorial and made this:

I am still in awe of your tree @MeganB :star_struck: but considering I am just a newbie to crocheting, is good enough for me :blush:. I chose pink and red for the colours as being a fire element :fire: red seemed to call to me and pink thanks to my loving nature :heart: I also added an aura quartz since I had it left from my last craft. All the items I made it from were from leftover crafts I had here at home :blush:

19 Likes

Thank you. As my mum always says, you have to try, try again if you want to get better, so I am :blush:

10 Likes