🏛 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Egyptian Magick :eye_of_horus:

Our exploration through several popular pagan paths and traditions continues this week as we leave the Egyptian area of influence - but, geographically speaking, we’re not traveling too far away! This week, we’re venturing to an area of the Craft whose roots stem from the Mediterranean and beyond.

The theme for this week’s challenge is…

Greek and Roman Magick Challenge

:classical_building: :olive: Exploring Traditions: Greek & Roman Practices :funeral_urn: :zap:

This is the third stop on our spiritual tour of Pagan Paths & Traditions - a series of challenges that hopes to shine a spotlight on some of the widely-practiced magickal traditions we often hear about in the witchy world.

While the cultures of ancient Rome, the Roman Empire, and ancient Greece each have their own unique traits, the close geography and intertwined pantheons weave these paths close together. For the sake of this challenge, “Greek" and “Roman” are being used as wide-reaching terms to reference the traditions, practices, and folklore stemming from ancient Rome, ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, and the surrounding area. While spiritual and magickal traditions from these ancient cultures are based primarily in this geographic location, they were carried alongside migrating people over the course of history and have since expanded to other parts of the world.

A note that you do not have to identify as a practitioner or follower of this tradition/area of magick to partake in this educational challenge. Additionally, you do not need to have cultural or ancestral ties in order to study this area of the practice. However, it is important to note that both Roman and Greek magickal traditions are tied to modern-day cultures that still exist, and whom deserve respect and mindfulness (for more on the topic of magick and culture, visit the Can we talk about “Cultural Appropriation”? and Spiritual Practices and Cultural Appropriation discussions)

The power of both Greek and Roman folklore, history, and traditions echo around the world and hold great value for everyone to learn from and find inspiration in - so let’s jump in!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about exploring Greek & Roman magick and traditions - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture by @starborn, shared in For the Love of the Moon: Selene Night Ritual

STEP 1 : Exploring Greek & Roman Traditions, Pantheon & Magick :olive:

This challenge is all about the magick and traditions stemming from ancient Rome, ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire - but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge…

Please make sure you are logged into your Spells8 Account so you can view all of the resources shared!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Learn More :books:

Are you new to the magick and traditions from this geographic area of the ancient world? Whether it’s Greek/Roman deities, folklore, old sayings, traditional spells, history, or more - consider learning more about spiritual/religious practices from this area of study! You are welcome to share what you learned as your entry this week.

Related resources:

The Roman Pantheon :classical_building:

Goddess-Venus-Art-360x240
Venus, Goddess of Love: Symbols, Myths, Offerings

Goddess-Aradia-Art-360x240
Aradia: Symbols of the Enigmatic Goddess of Witches

Luna-Goddess-Art-360x240
Luna: Goddess Offerings, Signs, Symbols, and Myths

Roman-Deities-Wiccan-Prayers-Devotionals-1-360x240
Roman Deity Devotionals

Additional discussions and resources:

The Greek Pantheon :classical_building:

Hecate-Goddess-of-Magic-360x240
Hecate: Goddess Symbols, Myths, and Correspondences

Hades-God-Art-360x240
Hades: Greek God of the Dead and King of the Underworld

Eros-Greek-God-Art-360x240
Eros: Greek God of Love, Passion and Fertility

Greek-Devotionals-360x240
Greek Deity Devotionals

Additional discussions and resources:

Greek and Roman Inspired Spellwork :sparkles:

Friday-Aphrodite-Bath
Venus/Aphrodite Love Bath

Selene-Wiccan-Devotional-360x240
Selene’s Moon Chant for Encouragement

Hecate-of-the-Crossroads-Incense-Recipe-360x240
Hecate of the Crossroads Incense DIY

Gaia-Wiccan-Devotional-Prayer-360x240
Gaia Devotional for Youth and Beauty

Related discussions and resources:

Explore Your Ties :dna:

For your entry this week, consider exploring any ties you have to Greek and/or Roman traditions or culture. This may be your blood ancestry, adoptive ancestry, past travel experiences, memories from past lives, your work with a deity, etc.

There are no “right” or “wrong” answers here - this is simply an invitation for you to learn more about yourself and any influences that may or may not influence your spiritual practice :sparkles:

Ancestor-Candles-360x240
Ancestor Work: How to Honor Your Ancestors

Past-Life-Tarot-Spreads-360x240
Past Life Tarot Spread: “Who Was I in My Past Life?”

Related discussions and resources:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore Greek/Roman magick and traditions in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Gaia: The World
From Spells8: Worshipping Gaia: The Mother Earth Goddess

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, June 4 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-06-04T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Artemis Pictures by @Artemisia, shared in Entries for the Hundreth Challenge

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Temple of Diana Picture from Canva

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

From Olympus up high and the underworld below,
Orphic hymns, grand temples, and fields to sow,
Feasts, festivals, and so much more-
In Greek and Roman traditions, there’s lots to explore!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :classical_building: :sparkles:

17 Likes

The pantheons of Greek and Rome are very popular - please know that the resources listed above are just a small sampling of what has been shared over the years!

There is much more about these practices, traditions, and cultures than what could fit in one challenge suggestion list, so please feel free to use the handy Search Tool to browse and enjoy more resources about Greek & Roman traditions :mag: :grinning: :sparkles:

16 Likes

Woohoo! This one I can do, too :joy: I think @starborn has dibs on Nyx already lol so I’ll choose a different deity to write about :clap:

13 Likes

hahah, oh gods, from where do I start now on this one? :joy: :joy:

14 Likes

I have been going through a phase lately where I think everyone doesn’t like me and there’s nothing to like about me. I finally went to my doctor who prescribed some antidepressants for me, but they will take a few weeks to fully kick in. While I’m waiting, it wouldn’t hurt to work some magick with Aphrodite in tandem to help me feel better about myself.

17 Likes

I only had the pleasure of a cuppa with the lovely goddess Eris, so I think I’m going to see if she’s free to help me out. I know nothing! :rofl:

@Kasandra You’re lovely :sparkling_heart:

14 Likes

Well, I like you and I think you’re an amazing person :hugs: :heart: :sparkles:

15 Likes

@Kasandra darling please do not think about yourself in that way :heavy_heart_exclamation: I know it is hard not to when this shadow feeling is lurking around us, but we have to push through. I have been in that situation many times and I still go through a lot of shit with my mental health, but this kind of thinking is not helpful :sweat: I hope you get better :heart:

if you choose to do that, I would advise you to be very specific about what you want and if this is going to be an one time only work or a start of a relationship as your goddess. She loves calarity. Also check if any of your gods/esess or practices are in tune with her and she has good relationships with them, because she might say a big fat no. She is an amazing Goddess, but she has her own way of doing things. She surprises me everyday if I am honest.

17 Likes

I might have screamed with joy a little bit when I saw this week’s challenge! Now to decide if I do something easy (which would be smart given lack of free time and all the deck rebuilding this week…) or write about someone new :thinking:

Edit: So I’ve decided after some AI-assisted research. I’ve found someone new to talk about (since Nyx is already taken :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

15 Likes

I know what you are talking about, been through that same phase myself before and it’s tough to get out of your head and stop being hard on yourself. I’m glad you went to someone who was able to help with antidepressants :people_hugging: I think Aphrodite is a great choice :pink_heart:

16 Likes

Ooh, looking forward to this one!

15 Likes

Impeccable timing. In a novel I’m currently writing, one of the characters is about to perform a ritual invocation to Hekate to obtain justice, so I’ve been digging around a little to figure out the structure and get myself in the right mood. Hekate is pretty awesome - scary, but awesome regardless. If I get around to write that scene before the challenge times out, I’ll let you know how it went. I already suspect there will be hellhounds :smiley:

17 Likes

This is my entry

I practice with hecate alot I did a road opener spell before and my life is changing now even for the better

I got the job opening I wanted and it’s opening alot of option for me right now

I used a smalls candle and a simple prayer to hecate to unlock the path

15 Likes

Going to have to do some thinking on this one. Not sure which direction to go. Hmmmmmmmm

14 Likes

Hi @Kasandra.
I know what you mean. I go through that too where I think people dont like me. I have been recently struggling with that too. It never occurred to me to talk to my doctor about being depressed though.:crazy_face:. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. I usually I just cry and feel sad. Thankfully I have a 13 year old who likes hugs and tells me he loves me every few days so that perks me up. I figure at least if there is 1 person who loves me, I’m alright.

I like you @Kasandra! :purple_heart:

I hope your work with Aphrodite goes really well!!

12 Likes

@Mystique Omg! I love this Winnie the Pooh GIF!

Yay @john1! I am glad your life is taking a turn for the better!

@MarieK i look forward to reading your scene

@Artemisia i hope your deck building is going well!

I am going to explore the goddess Diana. I am going to enjoy this. I haven’t looked into the Greek and Roman pantheon since high school when I was part of the Latin club. lol. I was such a geek. I was also in the school band. Popular girl I was not. :blush:

14 Likes

Challenge Entry :no_entry_sign: :no_entry_sign: :no_entry_sign:

I chose Hypnos known as a Greek god or demon of sleep. His dwelling is in Erebos, the land of eternal darkness beyond the gates of the rising sun. He rose into the night sky on his mother Nyxs train. Depicted with wings on his shoulders or head. He carries a poppy stem, ahorn of sleep inducing opium, a branch dripping with water from the river of forgetfulness (Lethe), or an inverted torch.

images

Image from Pinterest.com

13 Likes

haha glad to see I’m not the only one who was gravitating toward her :joy:

11 Likes

So, :joy: my initial thought was to write about the diffrences between the roman and greek religion, but since then things are breaking, I stumble upon black pigeons, dead snakes, and chains and other underworldly omens, in places that are unsual for them, so, yeah, expect a long post about Aphrodite (as I want my head still on its place :joy:)

13 Likes

I got a notification that one of my posts is linked to in the main posts, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out which it was until just now.

This was me?? That’s cool! :sunglasses: :rofl: And my altar has evolved so much since then. Wow!

I need to do that Selene ritual more often. It looks beautiful. :rofl:

What? :rofl: Oh no, what have I done?

I do have a Nyx spell I’m waiting to do. My Nyx night is Saturday, so that’s when I’ll do it. :smile: Although, I’m starting to prepare tonight, because I imagine it will take a while to write everything I want to do out… :thinking:

Oh gosh, you too. :rofl:

I’ll really have to go all out in this one if everyone’s avoiding it. No pressure. No pressure. :rofl:

12 Likes