šŸ–¤ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- From the Shadows

Merry meet to witches near and far!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in the coven-wide celebrations as part of last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Congrats to the Coven! :confetti_ball:

With the festivities behind us and the moon growing ever darker in the sky, itā€™s time to shut off the lights and embrace the night by exploring the more shadowy aspects of magick :black_circle:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

:night_with_stars: :new_moon_with_face: Shadow Magick :black_heart: :shushing_face:

While the light shines brightly on our best attributes, hidden in the shadows lurks another side. Through Shadow Magick, we can explore things lurking within ourselves and the world around us to reveal their truth.

In the context of the Craft, ā€œShadow workā€ is generally considered as any meditation/ritual/magic that forces us to confront the darker, hidden parts of ourselves.

This could be traits that you see as evil and bad, to traits at are annoying, shameful, or pathetic. But the shadow doesnā€™t have to be only unpleasant parts of your personality. It could be that which has been hidden, not allowed expression, pushed below the surface.

Your shadow might contain positive qualities that youā€™re not owning , in addition to negative ones youā€™re not acknowledging.

[From the Spells8 Lunar Shadow Spell]

Shadow Magick is a complex and often difficult aspect of magick, but with practice it can be extremely beneficial. Working with Shadow Magick can help a witch to overcome their fears and remove invisible barriers holding them back :muscle:

This challenge is all about exploring Shadow Magick and how you can use it your magickal practice :black_heart:

:warning: Important Note: This challenge does not condone or encourage ā€œBlack Magickā€ i.e magick cast with the intent to hurt others.

While every witch is welcome to follow their own path and decide their own code of ethics, please be aware that this challenge does not condone harmful magick (sometimes called ā€œBlack Magickā€- a term easily confused with Shadow Magick).

If you are still discovering your own personal witchy code of ethics, a good place to build your code of casting is by reading through the Spellcasting Safety Tips and the Wiccan Rede (often used by both Wiccans and Eclectic Witches alike).

Are you ready? Itā€™sā€¦ CHALLENGE time! :bellhop_bell:

PART 1 : Magick From the Shadows :night_with_stars:

There are many different ways to practice Shadow Magick, so there are many ways to approach this challenge!

Here are just a few shadowy suggestions for how you might practice Shadow Magick this week:

[ [ Shadow Moon Magick ] ]

According to the Moon Calendar through the Old Farmerā€™s Almanac, the moon is a mere 30% full today (Wednesday) :waning_crescent_moon: and will continue to dim in the sky over the coming days. It will fade completely into darkness for the New Moon next Monday/Tuesday night (depending on your location) :new_moon:

Draw on the unique energies of the Waning Moon this week by practicing some Waning Moon Magick:

Waning-Moon-Magick-Ritual-Ideas

Witches honor the New Moon :new_moon: in different ways. Some call it the Dark Moon and enter a time of rest and reflection :relieved: . Other witches enjoy this moon phase by practicing some New Moon Magick- the choice is yours!

New-Moon-Ritual-Ideas

[ [ Mirror, Mirror on the Wallā€¦ ] ]

Mirror Magick is a popular and accessible way to practice Shadow Magick. Use a mirror to peer beyond what the eye can usually see and into the mysterious world beyond.

You may find anything from self-confidence to life-changing answers through the glass :sparkles:

Mirror Spell for Eternal Beauty
Easy-Beauty-Spell-360x240

You may also consider using a Book of Mirrors to reflect and explore your shadows through journaling.

Book-of-Mirrors-Wicca-Witchcraft-360x240

[ [ Shadow Magick Resources ] ]

Consider checking out the following resources to help you begin working with Shadow Magick:

[ [ ā€¦And More! ] ]

Shadow Magick is a vast and often mysterious aspect of magick. Feel free to explore your shadows in a way that resonates with you and your unique magickal practice! :eight_pointed_black_star:

Note: Shadow Magick can bring up painful memories and things that are hard to face. Be sure to practice safely and consider doing Self-Care Rituals to help recover post-shadow work.

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience for a Prize :writing_hand:

All witches are welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a shout-out, you have to share your experience with the forum.

Please share:

• About your experience with Shadow Magick

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums.

If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, May 11th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)
( 2021-05-11T05:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and the a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to a moderator.

For those new to challenges, know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

The shadows hide all that we fear, but give it some work and all can become clear. A brave witch doesnā€™t need light, believe that your magick will pierce through the night!

Blessed Be! :black_heart: :sparkles:

20 Likes

I havenā€™t done any shadow work in a while. Now seems like as good of a time as any! I will see what I come up with for this one. Thank you for the next challenge!

15 Likes

I have an idea for this challenge! Iā€™ll actually maybe add it later today. Thanks @BryWisteria

14 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria for this one, I think Iā€™ll do some Mirror Magic for this challenge.
Blessed Be,

14 Likes

Oh my gosh, this is perfect timing. I know I have some shadow work to do but keep putting it off until the ā€œright timeā€. I even have an oracle deck that I purchased specifically to aid me with this endeavor. Thank you for all your hard work and for creating these magnificent challenges @BryWisteria

:new_moon:

Kat

14 Likes

This will be my first time trying shadow work so Iā€™m going to have to do some research and thinking!

13 Likes

@IrisW I have used these journaling pages in my Book of Mirrors for some shadow working Journal Prompts they have helped me get started with it. Also in the Lunar Eclipse section there is a worksheet for shadow work Shadow Worksheet Printable.

12 Likes

Oohhh Shadow Work is my favorite topic!

10 Likes

I like doing Shadow Work too! I did a lot last year. I havenā€™t done any this year. So itā€™s good timing for me. I am researching prompts & spells for Shadow Magic. I like this challenge!

9 Likes

Yet another perfectly-timed challenge! :star_struck: Iā€™ve been feeling moved to dive more into Shadow Work, and Iā€™m also planning on using this Dark Moon to continue working on my relationship with Hekate :black_heart:

13 Likes

Thanks @Susurrus

Iā€™m currently working my way through the lessons on journaling and started my Book of Mirrors last week. Iā€™m writing in green as itā€™s a calming colour for me!

Iā€™ve not quite got to those downloads yet as Iā€™ve only completed ā€œjournaling basicsā€. This week Iā€™ll work my way through the rest and do a write up at the end on what Iā€™ve learned and my first forays into Shadow Work.

12 Likes

Oh, awesome! Iā€™m so happy that you started it & have a plan. I just started the DIY Apothecary courses. I donā€™t know when they showed up on my list, but I love doing the courses. Thatā€™s a great idea writing in a different color. :hugs:

11 Likes

Great timing!
I was planning to work with Shadow Magick for the first time during the waning moon. :last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon::new_moon:

11 Likes

You always create the challenges so well and at the rights times :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Not sure what Iā€™m doing for this one yet, but itā€™s been a while since I tussled with my demons so thatā€™s probably a good start :slight_smile: Let the Shadow Magick commence :heartpulse: :black_circle:

9 Likes

After completing the journaling basics part of the Book of Mirrors course, this is what I chose as my main journal and pens.

Lovely lined pages with a space for the date and a little folder at the back where Iā€™m storing cards from the Etsy stores Iā€™ve purchased from.

Iā€™m using this for free form writing.

Iā€™ve also bought a couple of other journals, one a dream journal and the other has some great info at the front on moon phases and herbs etc, with some more structured space to reflect on spells. I may have gone overboard with my journal options!

13 Likes

I love buying journals. I get them with parchment paper & sometimes itā€™s lined. The one I have now is lined with a space at the top for the date. I love to write in my journal! :pen: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

I was reading about the journals, and I always use graphed paper and some good Sarasa pens. I like to write and I feel that having a tool that makes me feel at ease is important. In regards to Shadow Work, I tried to self analyze myself and learned. Recently I discovered that I have codependency issues and I am trying to work on it by revisiting my boundaries and creating new ones. I am a work in progress, and I feel that I will be able to overcome it. I am happy and proud of myself and I am grateful for the many blessings I receive. Thank you for sharing. I can wait to keep learning from all of you.

12 Likes

I have never done shadow work before but I will brain storm something up for this challenge. This is kinda challenging for me but I will come up with something.

11 Likes

This will be the first time I would do Shadow work @BryWisteria , I already suspect that once I do it, the side of myself that is a compressed rage of emotion I have will show up. Most of my relatives and even the current partner know my patience is too high even if there are times it may seem to be acceptable to them for me to let out a ton of swear words if the scenario is really terrible

The other side may end up revealing the grief I felt, not only for the exā€™s death but also for the amount of pain the abusers I had in the past placed me through, and til now I probably wonā€™t ever understand why they were capable of doing terrible things which may as well be considered as torture for Human Rights activists

I wonā€™t sue them for it, all I want from them is to keep leaving me alone in peace physically. Rather not keep living a life of being a servant for them then be harmed if I donā€™t meet their qualifications. Hopefully I didnā€™t cause anyone here to feel fear, anxiety, panic attacks or terrible about whatā€™s written in my post

Blessed Be,
Margaret

12 Likes

You are very welcome, @Susurrus! Thanks for adding in the journalling resources too- they are very helpful! :open_book: :blush:

Ohhhh sounds exciting, @Christina4 ! I canā€™t wait to see what your creative mind comes up with :star_struck:

Youā€™re very welcome, @Rowan! Ohhh enjoy your Mirror Magick- Iā€™m looking forward to hear about how it goes :sparkling_heart:

It looks like this was a sign for you, @Artemisia- it is the right time to delve into Shadow Work! And you sound like you are ready and prepared with your Oracle Deck :+1: You are very welcome- good luck and enjoy your Shadow Work! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good luck with your research, @IrisW! Shadow Work can be intimidating at first, but hopefully you will find some great resources and have a wonderful first experience. Enjoy! :heart_decoration:

The Dark Moon is a great time to deepen your connection with Hekate- that sounds like a wonderful plan, @Jewitch! I wish you an insightful and powerful experience with your Shadow Magick this week :pray::blush:

Hooray for your first Shadow Magick experience, @Kasandra! I hope you have a wonderful time diving into shadowy magick- enjoy! :raised_hands:

We must be on the same wavelength, @Liisa! :grin: Iā€™m glad the theme resonates with you this week- good luck tussling with your demons! Wishing you strength and ferocity as you bring your inner shadows to light :candle::heart:

It sounds like Shadow Work has brought many revelations about yourself, @fabian- congrats to you! It is wonderful that looking deep within helped you to nurture those positive emotions and pride in yourself. Really great job! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

A challenge this week indeed! Wishing you the best of luck with your first Shadow Work experience, @NickWick :pray: If youā€™d like some inspiration and tips, feel free to browse through the resources in the post above and check in with the entries others post. And of course, if you have any questions you are always welcome to reach out! Good luck- Iā€™m cheering for you! :partying_face:

It sounds like you have a great power of self control, @anne2- you are amazing! Please be careful and stay safe as you delve into Shadow Work, as yes- it can unlock and unleash the darker parts we usually keep locked up. For your first experience, I would suggest taking it slow and not digging too deep until you feel comfortable. Remember to take time for self love and care afterwards as well! Lots of love and light to you- good luck! :heart: :pray:

15 Likes