šŸ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- The Spell-ing Bee

A very merry meet to all!

Thank you again to the soothsayers and seers who joined in on last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge- Foretelling the Future.

The last challenge relied heavily on all the tools of our trade- reading cards, examining tea leaves, swinging crystals, rolling dice, and more. Perhaps, as you peered into the future, you saw a hint of more magick to come! Itā€™s time to give our tools some rest and conjure up some magick deep within ourselves.

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

Drumroll, please! :drum:

:honeybee::memo: The ā€œSpellā€-ing Bee: Spelling Out Your Own Spellwork:studio_microphone::dizzy:

For anyone unfamiliar with the term, a Spelling Bee is a competition popular in elementary and middle schools where participants are given a word and asked to spell it out within a set amount of time.

For this challenge, you are tasked with ā€œspelling outā€ the parts of your very own spell before the deadline is up!

Unlike in other Spelling Bees, our ā€œSpellā€-ing Bee will not have one lonely winner- all participants who create and share a spell are equally awarded and crowned champions of the Bee! :honeybee::crown:

Are you ready? Thereā€™s the bell! :bellhop_bell: Itā€™s officially CHALLENGE TIME!

STEP 1: Spelling Out Your Spellwork :speaking_head:

Depending on where you are in your path, many of us have become pretty familiar with casting spells. But how often do you create your very own spells?

Whether you are a casting beginner or a spell master, this challenge encourages you to piece together- letter by letter, word by word- your very own spell!

Hereā€™s how to get started:

First things first: What defines a spell?

While the term ā€œspellworkā€ is often used to refer to a wide range of magickal activities, traditionally ā€œspellā€ refers to a word or combination of words backed with magickal intent.

Spell

noun

1. A verbal formula believed to have magical force
  2. A ritual recitation of words or sounds believed to have a magical effect

[Definition from The Free Dictionary]

ā€œAn incantation, a spell, a charm, an enchantment or a bewitchery, is a magical formula intended to trigger a magical effect on a person or objects. The formula can be spoken, sung or chanted. An incantation can also be performed during ceremonial rituals or prayers. In the world of magic, incantations are said to be performed by wizards, witches, and fairiesā€
[From Wikipedia]

But- How do spells work?

The Spells8 FAQ has a thorough guide to explaining how Spells do what they do:

Spells work by opening up a spiritual pathway towards the goals we seek. The words and rituals that make up a spell are a means of engaging the Witchā€™s mindset in the transformation that is to happen. Like visualizing a road map for our manifestations and our future, the more prepared we are for change, the better it will be.

Not all spells necessarily seek to change things, but rather to protect and prepare us for the challenges of everyday life. A good luck spell can make us feel more confident, inspiring us to take more risks, opening new doors towards personal success. Protection spells can help us dodge or deal with attacks that come from others, typically when we proudly show our work or come out as we are.

[From the Spells8 FAQ: How do Spells Work?]

Okay- I know about spells and how they work. How can I make one?

At a very basic level, spells can be viewed as a formula:

Words + Magickal Intent = Spell

Note: Words of a spell do not have to be spoken out loud! You can cast within your mind or inner temple with the same effect

The kind of spell you create is determined by the combination of words and intent. There are many different kinds of spells- here is a List of Types of Spells to get you started!

To give you some ideas- spells can draw in the energy of the moon, invoke the power of crystals, bless an object, be offered as a devotional prayer, bring good luck, and so much more.

To buff up your spell, you can choose to incorporate other things: such as herbs, crystals, your magickal tools, nature, deities- anything you can imagine can be included in your spell!

Adding additional elements to your spell can enhance power but know that they are optional. Feel free to stick with just words and intent if this is your first time creating a spell :sparkles:

But I donā€™t know what words to choose!

You can learn about writing poetry or the basics of rhyme- but if these things arenā€™t your cup of tea, no stress!

You donā€™t have to be a writer, poet, singer, lyricist, or anything else to write spells. You are able to create a wonderful spell right here and now- with nothing but your imagination!

Think of the spells used in Harry Potter- so long as it carries meaning, even a single word can function as a powerful spell! :mage:

In some practices, saying someoneā€™s true name is a form of enchantment over them. The magic power of names shows us that words have so much power- they are much more than a series of black and white letters!

So long as the word/words have meaning to you and you back them with magickal intentā€¦

TA-DAH! :confetti_ball: Youā€™ve got yourself a spell- and a wonderful one at that!

For anyone who would like a bit more guidance, @SilverBear has shared a wonderful guide on How To Create Your Own Spells that includes a step-by-step walkthrough of how to create your very own Jar Spell.

You can also view the Spells Collections on Spells8 to help give you some ideas.

Just keep in mind- this challenge is about making your OWN spell! Feel free to draw inspiration, but at the end of the day your words should come from your heart.

Remember- the true magick is inside you!

STEP 2: Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

To participate in this challenge, you must share your spellwork!

Please tell us the intent/purpose of your spell and the words you chose

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums. If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :grinning:

:gift:

The brave participants of the ā€œSpellā€-ing Bee will all take home a small prize in addition to a special shout-out. All entries that follow the rules will be considered winners!

:gift:

:exclamation: This challenge will be open for 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please post your spells by 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time) on Tuesday, October 20th!

A Props and Presents Post will appear in the forums on Tuesday after the deadline. After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

A warm reminder that this challenge is very open- all are encouraged to participate in a way that reflects their unique practice.

By exploring new aspects of magick, the hope with challenges is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in fun ways!

May the great power of your words carry near and far, weaving wondrous magick into being

To all challengers- good luck! The timer has started :mantelpiece_clock:

Have fun and blessed be(e) :honeybee:!

11 Likes

Blessed be(e) :rofl: oh gawd I love this girl! But this is interesting. I have one in mind that I planned on doing today anyway. :grin:

3 Likes

Hahaha right?! :joy: :honeybee: so much love for you Bri @BryWisteria :heart:
This is such a fun challenge - I literally spend all day making up little spells as I go so itā€™ll be great to turn some of them into ā€˜properā€™ spells and share them with the coven :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Well, this one has me all abuzz. :honeybee: LOL. I know what I want to do, now I just have to sit down and work out the components. Thanks for the lovely new challenge! This sounds like fun!

7 Likes

This one comes at the perfect time because Iā€™ve been meaning to write up a spell for the upcoming blue moon on Samhain!

7 Likes

I Agree this sounds fun! Iā€™ve dabbled in creating my own spell, not too confident in it yet but I definitely will give it a go :grin:!

6 Likes

Awww thanks- lots of love back to you too @christina4 and @Limeberry! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Canā€™t wait to see what you both come up with! :sparkles:

ā€œAbuzzā€- omg yes, bring on the bee puns! :honeybee::joy: I knew you would rise to the challenge, @Amethyst! :laughing: You are very welcome and I am so excited to see what kind of spell you write!

Ohhhh a beautiful focus for a spell, @MeganB! :full_moon: :large_blue_circle: And wow, Samhain is coming so quickly- only two weeks away now. Youā€™re right- this is a great time to begin preparing and Iā€™m looking forward to your spell!

Hooray, @Rowan! :grinning: No worries, confidence will come with practice- for now, try to relax and just have fun with it. Good luck- I am cheering for you! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

This is what Iā€™ve been thinking about doing only I have not tried my own spell yet! This can be a challenge ! I better see what I have in my room that will have to do! I was just going to buy some new items too and didnā€™t! I have some that will have to do ! You guys have fun!

5 Likes

Yes, fun is the best part. :raised_hands:t3::blush:

5 Likes

This sounds like a wonderful challenge! However, Iā€™d have to really think about it! Never did my own spell, always someoneā€™s elseā€™s words. Hope I can make one!

5 Likes

For @Jeannie1, @walter, and anyone else making their first spell on their own- Iā€™m cheering for you! :confetti_ball:

The first step is choosing what kind of spell you want to create, what is the goal? If you arenā€™t coming up with anything- play around with your magickal tools, nature, and anything you have on hand. See if any words come to mind! Listening to emotional music can also help to spark something inside you :musical_note:

Good luck, and yes- have fun with it! :blush:

8 Likes

Now is a great time to practice! And as @BryWisteria mentioned, you just have to figure out what kind of spell you want to do. The rest is easy-peasy from there!

7 Likes

@MeganB, thank you!! I will try!!

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, thank you! I will definitely try !

6 Likes

Once we make the spell, do we post it here? I have made up a jar spell and completed it! I have the jar on my shelf!

6 Likes

Post it as a new recipe topic and link it here! Iā€™m excited to read it :heart_eyes: drop me a message if you need a hand @krissie117 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thank you! When I did it I felt like I did something wrong but then I felt so much better once it was done. I will post it in a few minutes.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a link to mine!

5 Likes

I am posting the link to my spell that I have done and the universe sent me an amazing gift to get through the next few weeks.

Spelling Bee Weekly Challenge

5 Likes

Fantastic job @Susurrus and @MeganB- your spells were a pleasure to read! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I did some spell brainstorming over the weekend and worked out a few chants and phrases. My goal was to make some ā€œquick-and-simpleā€ spells that can apply to various situations and would be easy to remember :thought_balloon:

I wrote a few- some came out better than others :laughing: Most of the ones I worked on were geared towards tea meditations and consecrating tea :coffee: I want to share my two favorites for this challenge!

SPELL 1: Quick nā€™ Easy Tea Blessing :tea:
(spell is to be chanted while stirring your beverage)

Three to the left to remember the past,
Three to the right to make blessings last.
Up, down, and up again-
For good luck, health, and joy I cast!

SPELL 2: Acknowledging Elements Before a Ritual
(chant invokes all four elements before beginning ritual work)

Crystals of earth, candles with flame
An open window from whence the air came.
Droplets of water, from the sky they fell-
All of the elements are here in this spell!

Iā€™ve found writing spells is a bit addictive- once I get started, words just start rhyming and itā€™s tough to stop! :laughing:

6 Likes