đŸ§¶ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Of Spells and String

A very merry meet to all!

Well done once again to all those who jumped in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge- Scrub-a-dub, Magick in the Tub! :bathtub:

With refreshed minds and renewed energy, it’s time to tie up our intent and weave some wondrous magick.

The theme for this week’s challenge was sparked (perhaps unintentionally :laughing:) by the creative @Amethyst and is

:thread::scissors: Knot Magick :yarn::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

String, thread, yarn, and twine-
Hold my desire, make it divine!

Knot magic is an ancient form of magick that holds your intent and aids in both spell and ritual work.

The knots and patterns that witches tie and weave have many possible uses. They can:

• hold energy
  • bring wishes into being
  • offer protection
  • help with concentration and focus
  • bind problems which can then be discarded

They are also a perfect tool for thrifty and crafty witches- all you need is some spare string to make something beautiful.

Witches’ knots also make for meaningful and lovely decorations- around the house and also as great gifts for Yule! :gift:

So bring out your twine because it’s
 CHALLENGE TIME!

STEP 1 : Magick with Knots and String :thread:

There are so many ways to delve into the exciting world of knot magick!

Know that at its core, knot magic is very simple:

• You hold your intent as you hold the string.

• As you weave the rope, you also weave your vision and wishes into being.

• Your magick and intent are stored within the final knot- a manifestation of your power.

[@Berta’s breathtaking Celtic Heart Star shared in Knotty Magick]

Never tied a knot in your life? No worries!

For those of us who weren’t prodigy boy scouts or seafaring sailors, knots can look overly complex and very daunting :confounded:

Here are a few beginner-friendly videos with step-by-step instructions to walk you through making your first knots. Give it a few tries and you’ll find beautiful knots aren’t as complicated as you thought! :grin:

Making basic knots

Bind your intent into each loop as you make these lovely knots. They can be used as protective charms or happiness-bringing decorations around your home.

Celtic Heart Knot

Chinese Clover Knot

Elegant Infinity Knot

As you tie your knot, consider saying a chant or spell out loud to imbue additional power:

Lord and Lady hear me now
Your blessed will I humbly bow
I pray your power gracious be
To give this intention unto me
These knots I tie your will enable
To seal and bind let all prevail
So as its spoke so mote it be
Thank you both and blessed be

[Knot Prayer by the talented @Berta, shared in Knotty Magick]

Lovely decorations and gifts

Magickal knots make lovely decorations- not only around the home, but also as adornments to presents! Consider attaching a knot in creative ways or even in the ribbon that holds the gift together.

[Picture from TheTravelWitch in Knotty Magic]

A magickal knot can even be a gift in and of itself- consider making a bracelet, necklace, keychain, or zipper pull that brings luck and love to the holder.

[@Jeannie1’s stunning Celtic Heart shared in Knotty Magick]

Knots make for wonderful gifts that have meaning and cost basically nothing to make- hooray for thrifty witchcraft! :money_with_wings:

Witches Ladder

Witches Ladders are a specific kind of knot magick used to bring a wish into being. They can also assist with meditation and make for a lovely addition to your altar.

[@Rowan’s gorgeous ladder from Witches Ladder?]

Visit the discussion Witches Ladder? to learn more about them and get directions for how to make one. You can also view @Francisco’s helpful definition by clicking below:

Click HERE for more info about Witches Ladders

How do Witch’s Ladders Work?

Charms are knotted or braided with specific magical intention into the cords. The number of knots and nature of charms varies with the intended effect.

It is essentially a type of knot magic . At the tying of the last knot, all the energy is directed into the cord and its knots, with a final visualization of the object of the work. The power has been raised and is now ‘stored’ in these knots in the cord.

Witch’s ladders can be used to bind certain energy to use for later. For example for extra strength, patience, or comfort at times. Those energies are stored and when the knots are released, so is the needed energy. :dizzy: You could even store your anger or frustration on it during difficult times.

[@roxanne’s lovely ladder shared in Witches Ladder and Other Things]

Knitting and Crochet

For those with skills (or those hoping to learn!) a more advanced form of knot and tying magic can be found in knitting and crochet. If one knot can hold your power- imagine an entire shawl, hat, or mittens full of your loving intent! :scarf::socks:

d0bfc0b324c415355f1a294ac6b6be24c1e55bca_2_375x375
[@MeganB’s empowering beanie in Creative Crafting]

Clothing and accessories made with magick can offer protection of various sorts (against theft, fire, cold, bad energy, etc) while also acting as a one-of-a-kind piece in your wardrobe :sunglasses:

You can find more inspiration in Magical Clothing and Crochet.

Research knot magick

If you’re curious but not quite ready or able to begin tying, consider researching another use of knot/string magick.

From Tome ishi tied rocks blocking passage, to Celtic handfasting rituals, to the sacred rope designs at shrines, to the European Maypole tradition- knots carry power in various forms around the world :earth_americas:

Learn something new and share your knowledge with your coven!

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

No matter how you choose to tackle this challenge, you must share your experience!

Please write about your experience doing or learning about knot magick

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums. If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :grinning:

:exclamation: This challenge will be open for 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time) on Tuesday, December 8th!

:gift_heart:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart:

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to a moderator.

For those new to challenges, know that these activities are designed to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Wrangle your wishes and weave your dreams, your magickal power is held in the seams!

Blessed be! :sparkling_heart::yarn:

11 Likes

You know you were going to do it, even without my prompting. LOL.

6 Likes

OH FUN!!! :blush: Thanks for the mention. I will get my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with.

7 Likes

I know it will be something beautiful because you are truly talented! Alot on this forum are, or maybe it’s just me
im not skilled in this area :sweat_smile: lol

7 Likes

Did I miss last week’s challenge? I’ve so everywhere the last couple of weeks. I mean to do things & then time gets away from me.

I will try this one, I have twine by the rolls! I will have to see what I can think up for this one. I have to get back to regularly practicing. I’m so overwhelmed, this time of year is so hard in 2020. I don’t know if I’m coming or going.

6 Likes

Yay! Thank you for the mention :wink:.
I think I am going to try the Celtic heart knot.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Ironically, my first small business/art venture was hemp jewelry & wire wrapping! My best friend & I were just talking about how I should come out of retirement with my jewelry making & see how it goes.

Of course, less than 24 hours later, you post this! Looks like yet another sign! I’ll be back soon for an update/entry!

:grin::grin::grin:

8 Likes

I have all the ideas :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

17 Likes

Wow. I really like that charm @SilverBear! That would work well for healing I would think. Hmmm.

5 Likes

That’s brilliant @SilverBear
 i’m not even asking
 LOL gotta put this in the BOS!!! Thank you for posting. You always have such amazing ideas.

4 Likes

Ty! Also
if you want to be more “green” you dont even need yarn
you could use a long piece of grass
or hay
or vine.

6 Likes

@SilverBear I know I am showing my age but we used to sit in the school yard and pick dandelions and braid them into crowns
 The boys would take grass blades and make whistles (or rude noises) and we all loved acorn top whistles! I love the idea of using natural materials
 Most of my world is buried in snow at the moment. But I still love the idea! Thank you. I think we would have fun playing together.

7 Likes

Maybe it would have occurred to me eventually, @Amethyst, but luckily I am blessed with such wonderful coven members who share their brilliant minds and great suggestions! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: You save my brain some work- it’s appreciated! :grin:

Can’t wait to see your creative talents in action once again, @Berta! :star_struck: I am looking forward to seeing your knot magick :two_hearts:

Your lovely crystal grids and beautiful writing show me that you have a wealth of creativity inside, @Christina4! :raised_hands: I am cheering you on if you decide to take the leap and give knot magick a try. The step-by-step videos are very helpful!

Hooray for an abundance of twine, @Susurrus! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I know it’s been a tough and crazy year- no worries if it’s time for a break. Take good care of yourself first- challenges can always be caught-up in the catch-up challenge later! No stress, girl :heart:

Great choice, @Rowan! :+1: I can’t wait to see how it turns out- I love the crafts you make! :sparkling_heart:

That sounds like a sign to me, @Haley! :laughing: Time to come out of jewelry retirement and get crafting. Will you combine it with your lovely art shop, or are the two of you jumping into a separate business? Either way- can’t wait to see what you make! :heart_eyes:

@MeganB- hooray! :clap: Your crochet crafts are gorgeous- I know your knot magick will be just as lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Love it, @Silverbear! :clap: This is such a great knot magick spell that is perfect for beginners. It’s also going on my to-do list- it sounds like a therapeutic activity to tie knots and bind away problems :grinning:

7 Likes

LOL I am right there with you on the age thing
we use to do this too
I’m a 70’s child lol.

7 Likes

It isn’t just a 70s thing! We used to do it too and I’m a 90s baby :heart:

7 Likes

Well, you were raised right @MeganB ! LOL
 I know you learned early to appreciate the world around you. I would love to see more children engaging in the world and less with the flat digital world in their hands
 (as she sits typing into her computer
) 
sigh

6 Likes

This is hard, especially right now. I refuse to send my daughter back to school until she can be vacinnated against COVID so she’s at home with me all day while I work doing school on the computer :sweat:

3 Likes

I think this is the source of my grief - our children are starved for nature. You are a good Mum
 you are protecting her and that is important. I also know you and you are going to keep her ‘in touch’ with nature too!!

5 Likes

It is a tough time to be connected with the great outdoors with lockdowns, closed parks, and now the coming of winter’s cold :snowflake:

I think it’s smart to keep your daughter safe at home for the time being, @MeganB :+1: . Learning can be done anywhere at any time- studying at home has its downsides but it is undeniably safer for now! Hopefully, the vaccine will be available soon :crossed_fingers:

You have a good point, @Berta! I’m another 90’s kid who grew up out in the dirt mixing “potions” of leaves and muck (no surprise I ended up a witch!) :joy: I wouldn’t swap my messy and wild childhood for any video game or technology- and I personally think that having an early connection with nature fosters a love and appreciation for the world that can’t be learned through a screen :tv::evergreen_tree:

Ohhhh now I want to do something knotty and nature-esque for this challenge! :laughing: I wonder how I can combine the two
 :thinking:

3 Likes